.22 semi auto recommendation follow up

Uh oh. I may have had a stovepipe or two I just can’t remember. Never seen that before with the bullet coming out.
Yeah that’s a first and I’ve shot thousands of super extra. It is a nice gun though and cycled fine after the first few mags. I put about 200 rds through it yesterday.

Good to know. I'm in the market for a new .22 pistol, and I've always had good luck with Taurus.

Surprised at all the good luck on the Buckmark here, I don't think I've gotten two mags to run back to back without issues. I love Browning products, but finally had enough and got rid of it.
Most times it is the ammo with .22. The Buckmark, MKIV, Victory are great .22's but I wanted a .22 similar to what I carry and not a target pistol. My TX22 has over 600 rds through now still flawless with only that one bad bullet. Oh and easy takedown and clean.

Glad it ran well for you. BUT, am I the only one that sees a ton of keyholing all over that target? Look at the two holes below the 7 on the left-hand side. Top one is fine, but the one below is squared off on the bottom with two parallel sides. Also just below the 8 on the left-hand side, you can see the square profile of the bottom of a projectile - classic profile of 22LR keyholing. Keep looking around and you'll see keyholes everywhere. Check your barrel for lead build-up.
Keyholing???
No way, I'm calling those doubles!
Let me go get my overlays...

My glock 44 averaged 4 malfunctions per magazine over the first 500 rounds. Have cleaned it twice. Tried 6 different varieties of ammo, none have cycled well. The best for the bunch at a 10% malfunction rate was thunderbolt and federal automatch.

I kinda wish I had just gotten a Taurus, but I am gonna give the glock one more thorough cleaning and a send-back before I sell it off.
.22 ammo is generally junk so don't be discouraged. Personal experience and observation tells me this. Then there's listening to the pistol league shooters I know describe how many issues they have as well. The usual for them is CCI standard velocity.
I don't think that even the most anal of them has found anything more consistent.
YMMV

Glad it ran well for you. BUT, am I the only one that sees a ton of keyholing all over that target? Look at the two holes below the 7 on the left-hand side. Top one is fine, but the one below is squared off on the bottom with two parallel sides. Also just below the 8 on the left-hand side, you can see the square profile of the bottom of a projectile - classic profile of 22LR keyholing. Keep looking around and you'll see keyholes everywhere. Check your barrel for lead build-up.
I saw the right away

But it does have a barrel that can’t be swapped without buying a new gun.

You can but due to it being the serialized part it needs to go thru and FFL. Places like Tandemkross and Volquartsen that do upgrade work on the Ruger Mark pistols sell them.

JETS: forgot to mention, I was referring to the ones that they remove from the customers pistols, not only the upgraded ones they produce.

Last edited:
You can but due to it being the serialized part it needs to go thru and FFL. Places like Tandemkross and Volquartsen that do upgrade work on the Ruger Mark pistols sell them.

JETS: forgot to mention, I was referring to the ones that they remove from the customers pistols, not only the upgraded ones they produce.

You’re buying a whole new gun with a whole new serial number when you do that, not replacing the barrel on your existing firearm. Sure, you can reuse your existing grip module and your bolt, but it’s still a new gun. You now own a Tacsol or Volquartsen MkIV, not a Ruger MkIV.

You’re buying a whole new gun with a whole new serial number when you do that, not replacing the barrel on your existing firearm. Sure, you can reuse your existing grip module and your bolt, but it’s still a new gun. You now own a Tacsol or Volquartsen MkIV, not a Ruger MkIV.

I was responding to the remark of you can't buy just a barrel replacement and did mention the legalities that the barrel was the serialized part. You can and in multiple variations that are not modified from companies that do modifications that remove the original barrel or upper however you want to look at it and sell them off, sometimes in bundles. If you want a long or threaded as an option on the range and so on.

I was responding to the remark of you can't buy just a barrel replacement and did mention the legalities that the barrel was the serialized part. You can and in multiple variations that are not modified from companies that do modifications that remove the original barrel or upper however you want to look at it and sell them off, sometimes in bundles. If you want a long or threaded as an option on the range and so on.

Again, that’s not replacing the barrel. That’s buying a whole new firearm and possibly selling your old one.

The statement that you cannot replace the barrel on a Ruger Mark pistol, and that the barrel is the serialized part, is not accurate. However, in a practical real world sense, this statement is mostly accurate.

The serialized part on a Ruger Mark pistol is the upper receiver. This receiver is a separate part from the barrel, but they are near permanently attached in a practical sense. I am not certain how they are attached besides being tightly threaded, but most shops cannot take them apart.

Historically, the only shop I know of that actually put replacement barrels onto original Ruger Mark receivers was Clark Custom Guns, and they no longer do this work. I am not sure if anyone currently does swap Ruger barrels, and it is certainly true that most people who want a new barrel will buy a new complete serialized upper that has to be transferred through an FFL.

The statement that you cannot replace the barrel on a Ruger Mark pistol, and that the barrel is the serialized part, is not accurate. However, in a practical real world sense, this statement is mostly accurate.

The serialized part on a Ruger Mark pistol is the upper receiver. This receiver is a separate part from the barrel, but they are near permanently attached in a practical sense. I am not certain how they are attached besides being tightly threaded, but most shops cannot take them apart.

Historically, the only shop I know of that actually put replacement barrels onto original Ruger Mark receivers was Clark Custom Guns, and they no longer do this work. I am not sure if anyone currently does swap Ruger barrels, and it is certainly true that most people who want a new barrel will buy a new complete serialized upper that has to be transferred through an FFL.

Yes, technically the receiver is serialized rather than the barrel. And yes, one can possibly remove the barrel. However I believe they use an interference fit with the threads. Using a hot receiver and a cold barrel. Trying to remove the barrel will likely result in something being destroyed. So, for all intents and purposes, they are one unit and that makes the serialized part include an integrated barrel.

Ya, okay then. There are some like myself that use pistols with multi barrels but perhaps that's more of a rarity than I assumed.

View attachment 849171

Ah the Buckmark; nice. I really wish I got one of those instead of my MkIII years ago. Admittedly, I have long been an idiot, falling to the sunken cost fallacy with the Ruger.

Last edited:
Ya, okay then. There are some like myself that use pistols with multi barrels but perhaps that's more of a rarity than I assumed.

View attachment 849171
That was the nicest thing about the S&W I had (22A). Easy to take off/put on the barrel. I prefer a Buckmark, which just takes a bit more time, but have two barrels for the one we own. The TrailLite barrel does take a little more to get on correctly (tighter fit) but it can be done.

Ah the Buckmark; nice. I really wish I got one of those instead of my MkIII years ago. Admittedly, I have long been an idiot, falling to the sunken cost fallacy with the Ruger.

As stated by Quickdraw, it's a S&W 22S. The S&W 22A is some metal, not sure but the S version is stainless. You could by extra barrels from their web sight. The one mounted is 5" Bull, The one with the scope is a 7" (no problem to walk golf balls at 50 with the combination and a 3rd which I didn't get in 3" along with the various grips.

That was the nicest thing about the S&W I had (22A). Easy to take off/put on the barrel. I prefer a Buckmark, which just takes a bit more time, but have two barrels for the one we own. The TrailLite barrel does take a little more to get on correctly (tighter fit) but it can be done.

Another that uses multiple barrels, you sir are a rarity.

Back
Top Bottom