.223 bullets to reload best for 100yard plinking

mac1911

NES Member
I am thinking od starting to stock up on .223 reload componants as they came around. I would like to reload close to mil spec 5.56 or 55g bullets. What I have shot for factory loads seem to shoot just great for my abilities. As I get better so will I change my reloads.
Now I have 5k of each comeing my way CCI nato spec 34 LR and 41 SR primers, CCI says they use the same data as magnum primers. I am dreading the call as the delivery time nears that they will not come through.
I am also going through many on line data listing as see that primers aer not listed in the data? Alliants on line site for ex.
I am thinking of reloader7 for powder, 55g bullets....style or type? and the above primers.
I plan on moveing to 30-06 for the garand also.

#2 OK so is 253.00 for once fired resized cleaned polished and primed with 1000 55g fmj a fair price? with a 2 month wait of course.
I have found a few places, but of course no shippy to comchusett....unless FFL?

Last edited:
The Hornady 55 grain fmjbt was more accurate than the same bullet from Remington and Winchester, when I shot them out of my Colt ar. I use w748 and a standard primer. I tried a magnum primer but accuracy was not as good. Be careful what powder you use to load for the Garand. Some powders that are suitable for the .30/06 are not suitable for the Garand and will damage the op rod.

Last edited:
What twist rate on your barrel? 1/9 barrels likes heavier bullets like 62gr to 75gr. If you're using 55gr FMJBT, I use 23.5 of A2230. I use H335 when loading tracers, easier to light them up.

My DPMS barrel (1/9) has a preference for heavier bullets, but it doesn't rear its ugly head until you get out past 100 yds. The difference at 100yds is noticeable, however, five shots groups with 55s are about 1 to 1.5 inches while 69gr Sierras will group just over 1/3 of an inch.

I have a bare bones STAG model 2 with 1/9 twist. so far I have shot WOLF black box, mil classic, Lake city, some israel stuff which I did not like much, noticed griddy podwer residue with that. remington yellow box UMC. all 55g. It all out shot me. For me right now hitting a 10" cirle@100 with 10 rounds is good. All this ammo has done this. After fooling around with the sights last sunday I manged some good 2" 3 shot groups. Im looking for a decent starting point.

My DPMS barrel (1/9) has a preference for heavier bullets, but it doesn't rear its ugly head until you get out past 100 yds. The difference at 100yds is noticeable, however, five shots groups with 55s are about 1 to 1.5 inches while 69gr Sierras will group just over 1/3 of an inch.

Are the 55s sierras or another match bullet? If not, you are comparing apples to oranges.

B

Try to find some lake city green tips (62gr) and you see the different in the group at 100yds, but for pinking the 55gr will do.

With A 9T anything below 70gr and some 75 grn bullets I would stay in between 52-70 the hornady HPBT 75gr can be loaded at magazine length to tolerate jump because of the thicker jacket but A 75gr VLD won't (GLEN ZEDIKER The competitve AR 15 VOL.1&2 Some of the best info from some of the best shooters in the world including David Tubb also Black magic and the complete guide to AR15 Accuracy with people like Bill Wylde,Frank White,Derrick martin, pretty mcuh all the people that tested everything for the AR for accuracy). If your into AR's like some of us on here you should grab atleast one of those books. I havent tested everyting out yet but I have been reading alot and also calling up some company's as well as some custom barrel makers. They make target match/varmint bullets from 30grs so you have A variety and if you like to put crimps in your bullets they do make some sierra's and hornady match/target bullets with A cannelure. Good luck with your loads. Shoot safe shoot often and shoot well.

Last edited:
The big different between Match and none Match bullets is the Cannelure and NO crimp.

Do they make 55gr match for the 223?

From a performance standpoint (shot dispersion), there is a big difference between the two. So comparing 55gr ball, to 69 sierras when trying evaluating accuracy of different twist rates leaves a lot up in the air. You need to shoot high quality ammo/bullets against other high quality ammo/bullets or shoot ball against ball.

All the major manufactures make high quality 55gr bullets.

B

Are the 55s sierras or another match bullet? If not, you are comparing apples to oranges.

B

The 55s are made by IMI and are not match grade. The were a great deal, however, at 3.5 cents each. Maybe match grade 55s will do better.

Back
Top Bottom