223 Powder

I just bought some reloading gear for the NES AR's..I have been reloading pistol rounds for a while now and was checking out some load data..What would you guys suggest for powder for loading the 223?

I saw Adams post in a search about the Tite Group from Hogdon being very low and confirmed it will not cycle in a AR so I dont want to buy a powder i can not use. Currently I use Tite Group, Bullseye and AA#5..Im thinking the rifle will need something fast burning. I will be reloading using 55gr Bullets as for now its just target shooting.

Thanks

Rick

thanks 007!
I got a good deal on the 55gr..bulk buy so i said the hell with it and bought them..once comfortable i would like to get some match grade and try my hand at a match at MRA

Thanks Mark..I also have a 16" Rock River so that is useful info

Win 748.

My load is 26.0 gr., which works well in both bolt guns and autoloaders. You should work up your own load for your own rifles.

OOppsss well I dont know if i messed up or not but i just emailed the vendor. I purchased 500 FED BULLET 22c 55gr FMJBT W/CANN..But i found something online that says these are not suitable for Semi-Autos...So i hope they get back to me..I should have known the price was too good to be true..

i hope your right..lol..i did email them so i will see what they have to say.they had no picture as it was a bulk buy but nothing i can do now anyway they arent open till the AM..

For 55 grainers, I use Accurate 2230 and Reloder 7.

Same here. (I note that, rather appropriately, you're just about the only person on the net I've seen correctly render the manufacturer's spelling of "Reloder".) Never had a problem with a wide variety of loads under Hornady 55s.

I appreciate everyones input..Alot of options here..Im exicted to play around with some combo's when everything comes in..Im sure once I get used to it, and then hopefully get into match shooting, i will up the bullet weights.

I am using 24.3gr of H335 under just about any 55gr FMJBT with Cannelure. CCI #400 Primer in Lake City Brass.

Average data from my 20" AR:
Avg. Vel: 2864 fps
SD: 42 fps

Cycles pretty good and accurate enough for my needs.

Good luck,
Steve

Well I dont have to worry about the bullets not working as the dealer just called and wont ship here! Bastards!

I was going to say that I read somewhere that a lot of mail order companies that sell reloading supplies won't ship to MA. When I saw that you had ordered I was going to PM you to find out who would ship here.

My head sized paper targets have been pretty dead at 100-200 yards using 24.6 gr Win 748 with 62 gr. bullet and 20.3 gr. H4198 with 55gr. bulk bullets with iron sights. All using mixed brass (5.56 LC and .223 RP, FC, IMI, PPU), and winchester SR primers.

Went with 25.5gr of Varget under 55grain FMJBT Wichester Bullets, Win Primers..Started at 25 and about 50 rounds ran well, no problems and accurate. I was going to up it to 26.0 and 26.5 to test out some loads but when I went to 26gr the poweder was almost to the top of the case neck..Max load it my manuals say 27.5gr..Makes no sense..so for now to get used to it 25.5grains it is..

I should have added to my original response:

If you are going to use these rounds in an AR, either use special hard primers (CCI #34s) or be quite sure that your primers are set sub-flush.

Military autos do not use firing pin springs. As a result, there is a potential for out-of-battery and slam fires. The probability is low, even with "standard" primers, provided they are set flush, your chamber is clean, and inside of your bolt is clean. However, you might want to do some research on ARs (and M1s and M14s) and slam-fires.

If you're loading for a bolt gun, disregard all.

You can use Winchester primers to reduce the potential for a slam fire. Also, Remington 7 1/2's work as well. Both are good to go in an AR, as well as the CCI's.

Winchester Small Rifle is what i used..Not a single issue..I did notice that trying to reaload some "UltraMax" brass that the primers would not seat nicely in the pocket..they must used mixed brass on their reloads..

What about 22.0 gr of H335 w/ 60gr V-max, Win brass, and CCI 400 primers. Has any one used this set up for thier AR?

-DM-

Back
Top Bottom