• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

24 Hour Pandemic Prep List

Duxprep

NES Member
In light of recent developments in China with Wuhan Coronovirus- I think it's timely to revive this thread.

For those who have concerns about This new virus and wish to prepare for a possible pandemic, see the list below:

Think about this logically. Once it is anounced that there is a full blown Global and deadly pandemic in play, the borders will be closed, travel and shipping will cease, and this just in time economy we're all so used to will fall apart quickly. If you have no preps at all and haven't had the time to think it through this list is a pretty good start.

This list is for individuals who have failed to stockpile goods and supplies for the event of a flu pandemic. It assumes that there has been some official or obvious sign given that a state of pandemic has been reached and that the best hope for protection will be self-quarantine. It has been said that a virus at this stage will be able to pass to any point on the globe within 18 hours. YOU NEED TO STOCK UP NOW.

If you are buying last-minute food, water and supplies when a human-to-human pandemic has been announced as spreading, please sit down for 5 minutes and make a plan of action. It is not a good idea to grab everything you can - BE STRATEGIC. You will not be able to get everything you need for a 3-month quarantine in one shopping trip! This list is based upon what you should attempt to accomplish in the ultimately unfortunate of "last-minute" trips - when everyone else will be "panic shopping" beside you. Focus your energy on grabbing foods that provide the most nutrition.

TIPS/SUGGESTIONS:
Pull the children out of school immediately and start the family plan into action.

Cell phones may come in handy - communication would be handy as you pick everything up around the stores and around town.
If you own multiple cars, have a family member drive each car (single-file, caravan style) to the same store. Each of you take a cart and a portion of this list. Meet back at the checkout and load all of the cars.
If the store has run out of an item you need, MOVE ON. IT WILL NOT BE THE END OF THE WORLD. Do not waste time in this situation. Go to another store until you get it.

You will need cash! Some stores may no longer accept credit or debit in this situation. In others, the lines may be down. Don't risk your survival because you do not have adequate cash on hand. And be prepared to spend considerably more than you would at any other grocery store run.

IN LOOSE ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:
• From home: call to renew your prescriptions for pick-up. Call doctor to arrange for more.
• Extract cash from your bank account (save some for online bill payments; you may also need to make arrangements re: investments, but this may need to be done later at this point. Right now you need to get supplies.) or the full amount your daily limit will allow.
• From the local drugstore/health Centre/pharmacy:
• N95 masks (NIOSH-rated Medical Particulate Masks) and Disposable gloves (latex, vinyl or the best yet is Nitrile): (you will need these in the event you leave the house again to pick up a forgotten or needed item)
• Band-Aids
• your prescription refills
• vitamins: C and multivitamins
• Tylenol/acetaminophen, aspirin/ ibuprofen (many uses); 3 bottles each
• any other over-the-counter meds you know you need (customize here)
• 8 packages of 12-rolls toilet paper
• 5 boxes Kleenex
• batteries: know the kind you will need. AA's - buy at least 10 packages.
• candles and/or tea lights - buy whatever is left; at least 50
• matches and lighters: buy 2 boxes matches; 10 lighters
• tampons if needed: year's worth if you can: 20 boxes of 40's; OR, 1 "keeper"
• soap
• shampoo and conditioner
• toothpaste

From the local grocery store:
• as many bags rice you can afford (remember, you need to be able to buy some of everything on this list)
• 20 cans beans (90 would be needed for 3 mos)
• 20 cans tuna/chicken/fish
• 10 cans vegetables
• 30-60 jugs water (and you are going to need to come back for more!)
• 20 bags pasta
• 10 jars pasta sauce
• 2 big bags potatoes (high in energy; keep long time)
• 20 cans tomato paste (make your own pasta sauce)
• energy bars; protein drinks;
• bag/boxes of mixed nuts
• bags of dried oatmeal
• bags dried beans
• 5 large bottles vegetable oil (sunflower, safflower and olive are healthiest)
• box sugar (biggest you can find)
• box salt (biggest you can find)
• bottles Gatorade (orally rehydrates) or vitaminized water
• pet food and/or baby supplies if needed
• extra manual can-opener (yours might break!)
• extra scissors (might lose yours!)
• 5 jars peanut butter
• 3 loaves bread
• 10 bars/tubs butter
• 10 bricks cheese
• frozen meat
• soups that don't need added water
• garbage bags

Go to local hardware/supplies store and buy:
• propane cooking stove
• propane
• flashlights (3)
• firestarters
• water purification tablets
• battery-operated radio

On way home: stock up on tank of gas, extra gas. Fill any portable gas containers you may have or can buy at the gas station.

LESS ESSENTIAL ITEMS to pick up if you have TIME, MONEY and they are AVAILABLE:
• chocolate
• coffee, teas
• 3 jars jam
• boxes macaroni and cheese
• bag onions
• boxes powdered milk
• box crackers, bag cookies
• peppers/lettuce/tomatoes
• other fresh fruit and veggies
• other vitamins if you know you need them: Omega-3, antioxidants, meds for diarrhea
• key spices you use: garlic, mixed spice shakers, bouillon, cinnamon, turmeric, curry, ginger
• q-tips, rubbing alcohol, a ready-made first-aid kit
• shaving cream and razors
• Paper plates, plastic forks, knives, spoons
• paper towels
• laundry soap

REALLY LESS ESSENTIAL (for urban survival) ITEMS TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER TRIP TO PICK UP and then ONLY IF YOU REALLY NEED THEM:
• candy, alcohol, tobacco (could be used for trade; but you should quit smoking at this point)
• tools; rope; tape;
• cleaning supplies (bleach; disinfectant hand sanitizer with more than 60% alcohol; liquid dish detergent; big jug white vinegar)
• Condiments - mayo, ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Salsa, creamers (presumably you will already have some of these anyway)
• Lotion and all other more luxurious personal care items
• entertainment items like books (you will already have some of these anyway)

FOR ALL OTHER ESSENTIAL SURVIVAL ITEMS YOU WILL NEED A SECOND TRIP (at your own risk)
please consult standard flu preparedness guides on FluWiki

Last edited:
Anybody have any good sources to get any of the nitrile gloves and face masks? I often could use the gloves anyway for other projects - so stocking up in preparation for a possible flu epidemic is not money completely down the tube if nothing happens. Same with the face masks.

As far as the other stuff on the list - slowly working my way thru it.

I haven't yet finished digging my bomb shelter I started in 1967 when I was 10 years old. Maybe tomorrow I'll swing by the drug store and pick up a package of throat lozenges for this current threat.

Anybody have any good sources to get any of the nitrile gloves and face masks? I often could use the gloves anyway for other projects - so stocking up in preparation for a possible flu epidemic is not money completely down the tube if nothing happens. Same with the face masks.

Nitrile gloves - check the automotive section of your Walmart... they're blue.

Do you guys have any Doctors or close doctor friends? Stock up on Tamiflu for yourself and for barter. Seems that this is the only drug that may be effective against most foreign flu infections.

Harbor freight is where I have found ours or if you have a medical supply place near you would be another.

I think I'm about 300% there. Unfortunately I'm going out of town shortly...UG. I hope I don't get stuck away from home.

I still have my elderberry tincture from the previous scary news 3+ years ago about possible bird flu. 12 quarts of it. Hopefully that'll help this type of flu. And if not, it is vodka, so I won't care.

the masks you would want are the N95 style masks, and there are NONE available. The good news is that they are being stockpiled in every state where there are cases to try and contain it if it does break out.

I got 3 bags of them the last time this happened ( bird flu).

The foods there, the propane isnt. The food doesnt need to be cooked :eek:)...

the best course of action.. stock up now for 30 days. Stay home when the cases start to break.. IF they start to break.... this strains not the be all end all.. this ones very similar to human flu. The problems going to come in the fall when the H1N1( Swine flues new name) hits then. It is believe it will be resistant to most treatment methods and a vaccine will be at least 26 weeks in the making.... so enjoy your summer !

Obama said not to be alarmed..[smile]..and never mind the jet that just buzzed NYC skyline..didnt you guys get the memo? It was a $300,000 photo session..gotta have pics for the White House walls..George took all of the John Wayne pics with him..

Come on, boys. I don't believe a single one of you honestly stores this stuff you talk about or believes in this goofy survival nonsense. It's a jive thread, right?

RIIIIIIGGGHHHTTTT.. just like none of us has a store of ammo that we vow NEVER to touch except in extreme social disorder or zombie incursions... mm hm... not meeeee...

Where are my silver bullets and wood stakes.. ???

Cal, I'm in Florida right now but if you open the window and listen real good, I'll bet you can hear me and the wife laughing like hell. You guys are funny. Do you have a fallout shelter from the 60s too? I still remember my neighbor digging his back when I was a kid. My father used to watch the construction and just shake his head. And he was a Navy Lt. Commander who had a better grip on the world situation at the time than the mole next door. I know you're jiving me on this crap. But you're fun all the same. I love your whacked-out survival posts, keep 'em coming.

John

Not jiving you at all. I learned shortly after we moved into our house and we lost all power, communication for over 4 days. I live in the country,we all have wells and septic. If you didn't have a generator, you can't operate any of it, or keep your fridges and freezers going so you don't lose everything.
I learned from that, and other situations the only one you can count on is yourself.
Now if you are stupid enough to not even have the basic preps, don't even knock on my door when things get bad. I live far enough out that I keep plenty of groceries on hand so we don't have to run to the store when things are bad.
Now if this flu gets bad enough can you ride it out? I am guessing not, but many here can. We will be able to stay away from the masses,because we prepared.[grin]

Better to have prepared and not need it, than the reverse.

Last edited:
Mrs. Wild Weasel: (best name on the board) I happen to own property in Florida, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Jamiaica, and Costa Rica too. I got places to go and people to take me there. Keep that generator spinning in the cold and in the dark, I'll be somewhere warm watching pretty girls parade on the beach and praying my wife doesn't catch me. Now that would be an unnatural disaster! She'd do bad things to me the flu sure couldn't do cause she'd keep me alive throughout.

The Ultimate Survivalist - SA John

I'll just buy stock in the tamaflu company and buy some new toys later after the scare dies down. Right now I think I'll go buy a small pig to put on the smoker this weekend so I can build up my immunity!! Remember there are still a lot of generators that never got started up from Y2K around.

SA John, I hope you have a plan for getting to those properties if something really bad happens. Either that, or you need the ability to predict the future (at least a couple of weeks in advance so you have time to get tickets, put things in order, etc.). Florida you could drive to if the roads aren't blocked off. As for the other places, you will probably be out of luck. (Nice choice for Costa Rica though.)

I'm bugging in, not planning on going anywhere.

SA John, I hope you have a plan for getting to those properties if something really bad happens. Either that, or you need the ability to predict the future (at least a couple of weeks in advance so you have time to get tickets, put things in order, etc.). Florida you could drive to if the roads aren't blocked off. As for the other places, you will probably be out of luck. (Nice choice for Costa Rica though.)

I believe he lives on a sailing vessel.

Cal, I'm in Florida right now but if you open the window and listen real good, I'll bet you can hear me and the wife laughing like hell. You guys are funny. Do you have a fallout shelter from the 60s too? I still remember my neighbor digging his back when I was a kid. My father used to watch the construction and just shake his head. And he was a Navy Lt. Commander who had a better grip on the world situation at the time than the mole next door. I know you're jiving me on this crap. But you're fun all the same. I love your whacked-out survival posts, keep 'em coming.

John

You obviously didn't read thru the whole thread. Jose said he was 90% of the way there. I think Doobie said he was at 300%. I know there are plenty of other people on this forum who are WAY better at preparations to survive than I am.

I don't have a fallout shelter. I also don't stock "survival supplies" like you seem to think I do. I have learned however that it does pay to at least be somewhat prepared for some of these situations. Most of the people I know don't even keep more than a few days worth of food in the house. Trying to convince people otherwise is like pulling teeth. I had been thinking of getting a generator for a few years now - the wife thought I was nuts and it was a waste of money. Then we had an ice storm and the power was out on a Wed nite. And all day Thursday - and then Friday. By Friday morning it was getting pretty freaking cold in the house (like 40 degrees). It was also apparent that the power could potentially be out for a quite a few more days.

The potential to have frozen pipes, a cracked water heater, cracked boiler, spoiled food, spending money on staying in a hotel (which were all full anyway) - leaving the house unoccupied and subject to potential looting (it WAS happening up in NH - I know people who had their homes broken into) , I had 8 gallons of latex paint in the basement - which would have frozen and then been junk etc. etc. and so - FINALLY convinced her that buying a generator was a good idea.

So we had to drive all the way to MAINE to get one. All of that could have been avoided by simply being prepared ahead of time.

Luckily I had 20 gallons of gasoline in 5 gallon jugs out in the garage that I had bought when there were gas shortages in the fall and the potential for actual shortages. Because all of the gas stations were closed too - because THEY HAD NO POWER EITHER.

So I was able to power the generator - and the chainsaw, and the car with the meager amount of gasoline I had already bought.

Since I have been buying ammo for the last 4-5 years whenever I saw a decent deal - I haven't had to buy much ammo at all for the last 8 months or so that the buying panic has been going on. I have more than enough to supply my own shooting habits - and the value of what I bought has TRIPLED in some cases - meaning not only am I shooting with what is now extremely cheap ammo - but if I chose to unload some of what I have , it was an excellent investment.

Gloves and face masks? As somebody here has already posted - you can't get the N95 face masks because everybody is buying them up. So lets say this whole thing really does turn into an actual epidemic. Where the efff do you think you are going to get them when the shit really hits the fan? If you can't even get them now when there actually isn't much going on? It will way past too late. I don't trust the government AT ALL. After the Katrina debacle I am not going to count on them for anything except taking a situation and screwing it up.

Since I can use gloves for doing a number of other tasks from painting to cleaning my guns and reloading - it doesn't really cost me anything to stock up on the potential that I might need them for an actual outbreak. Masks - the same thing. Good to wear when mowing the lawn in the dry of the summer or when sanding drywall.

There is one thing you can be sure of - after watching the obnoxious behavior of those who refuse to plan ahead for ANYTHING I will refuse outright to help anybody whom I know has refused to spend any time planning ahead. Caught unaware because you were uninformed? You might get the time of day - unprepared because you were belligerently refusing to recognize the potential for disaster?

I will be sitting in your front yard laughing it up. And you won't have to open the window to hear it.

Unbridled Fear

I have a 52' live-aboard, ocean-going sailboat. I can go anywhere in the world in comfort. At this moment it's moored in Key West. Next month (May) I'll take it up the coast to Gloucester where it will sit until the leaves turn red then back down to the Caribbean after the hurricane season winds down. Now please stop worrying about this silly flu that a handfull of people have. All sorts of things kill all kinds of people. Please look at the probability numbers and get a grip.

John

Now, Cal, I don't have a front lawn in Key West. (almost nobody does) and you couldn't get within 500 yards of my house in Hamilton. Not because I'd pull a gun or something dramatic like that, but for the noisy peacocks, guinea hens, geese, goats, donkeys, chickens, pigs, horses, my estate employees, the young girls we have around to work the horses and clean stalls, my crazy barking keeshonds, and the third floor glass cupola observation area I read, write, and drink coffee in. I'd see you coming and hear the chorus. But I get your drift, laugh away. It's good for you.

John

Back
Top Bottom