• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 Gun NE schdule for 2014 please contribute

Very short range. They only started them a year or so ago. I've shot their rifle and shotgun only matches.
Ed, what do you have to compare Independent's matches to? [smile]

NB and Nauset, but I have had fun every time I have shot a match there.

It is ironic that I move out of MA in search of free-er living and leave such an active shooting community. I am checking out Steel Challenge this weekend at Pioneer, though.

NB and Nauset, but I have had fun every time I have shot a match there.

It is ironic that I move out of MA in search of free-er living and leave such an active shooting community. I am checking out Steel Challenge this weekend at Pioneer, though.
3 gun, or single gun matches?
Harvard, Ma. runs monthly matches, there's a USPSA club in Augusta, Maine. You just have to look a little.

3 gun, or single gun matches?
Harvard, Ma. runs monthly matches, there's a USPSA club in Augusta, Maine. You just have to look a little.

I know, I just got spoiled living down near NB. On top of that, time is not my friend lately, worst then it was before. [frown]

Quag, nothing scheduled for Auburn on June 29 (as of right now). I think you were looking at last year's listing.

I received the following by email. This is one of the Clubs that will be hosting the USPSA Northeast Section Championship in late August.

Capitol City 3 Gun

June 8, 2014

Check in 8:00am-8:45am, pre-registration is required, online at:

https://clubs.practiscore.com/3-gun-match/register

Or email me: [email protected]

This competition is for experienced competitors only, if you have never shot a USPSA match please contact me to be sure you qualify to shoot the match.

Mandatory competitors meeting 8:45 Match starts at 9:00am.

Maximum number of shooters is 24 plus RO’s

Entry fee $20,

(Limited number of free entries for RO’s and set up tear down men with trucks, please contact me if you can help.)

7 multi-gun stages, all 3 guns will be used on every stage.

Round Count:

Rifle 100, Pistol 100, Shotgun birdshot 50, slugs 10, buckshot 10.

Equipment and Divisions: All rifles must be semi automatic. Slings will not be used. Pistol lanyards are not allowed. NO STEEL Core ammunition, make sure you check it with a magnet, some rifle ammo is steel core even though not marked as such. If you punch a hole in our steel you will be buying us new ones!

Tactical: Handguns, Iron sighted, maximum loaded capacity= ten rounds +1, 9mm minimum caliber, Shotgun no optics, maximum loaded capacity 8 in tube + 1 in chamber.

Rifle, one optic, may have additional iron sight also, no maximum magazine capacity, minimum caliber = must be bottle necked rifle caliber- no pistol calibers.

Heavy Metal: Handguns, Iron sighted, maximum loaded capacity 8+1, .44 minimum caliber (45 ACP is OK) Shotgun no optics, semi autos are OK, max loaded capacity 8+1, minimum 12 gauge. Rifle, one optic, may have irons also, minimum caliber .308. (7.62 x 39 does not qualify). Maximum magazine capacity 20 rds.

Open: Handguns, may have optics, porting etc, 9mm min cal, no maximum mag capacity, Shotguns may have optics, no max on mag capacity, detachable mags OK, feeding devices OK, Rifles, multiple optics OK, must be rifle caliber.

Holsters/ gear: There will be no restrictions about holster or magazine placement in any divisions, thigh holsters are allowed, except there will be no cross draw or shoulder holsters allowed. Note if your handgun falls out of the holster after the load command has been given you will be disqualified from the match for a safety violation.

Your holster must properly fit your gun and safely retain it. I suggest tightening the retention for this match because you will be running with handgun in holster. There will be no re-holstering of handguns during the stages.

EYE and EAR protection is mandatory for all competitors and spectators.

Rules:

Scoring system is called Time plus. Its very simple, your score for each stage is your time plus a 5 second penalty each for any procedurals, any no-shoots, or any targets that have not been neutralized. All paper targets require two hits anywhere within the scoring area to neutralize, all clay birds must be at least partially broken, all steel must be knocked down. Calibration gun for this match is a .45. Make sure your ammo isn’t wimpy!

Total time of all 7 stages determines overall match score. Fastest time wins.

Two-man team match for no extra fee, total combined score for two shooters. Just declare your team before the match starts.

Staging tables and dump barrels/ tables. Each stage will start with all guns loaded, your handgun holstered, and long guns will be placed on staging/ dump tables with the muzzles pointed in a safe direction and the safety engaged. During the stage while switching guns you will need to put a gun down either on a dump table or into a dump barrel. The safety must be engaged. The first violation is a 5 second procedural and the second is a match DQ.

Dump tables/ barrels may not be used for support while shooting unless specifically declared in stage description.

This is a cold range, all guns must be brought to the range unloaded and can only be loaded when given the command by the RO. You may only handle un-cased guns at designated safe tables, unless you have approved chamber flags. Please carry your guns from stage to stage either cased or with chamber flags either muzzle up or down. No one wants to be swept by your muzzle! Handguns should be kept holstered between stages.

Safety rules: If you break the 180-degree you will be disqualified. If the RO feels you are getting close he will try to warn you by yelling muzzle, if you do not correct immediately you will get the DQ. If he cannot warn you before you break the 180 you will still be DQ’d.

You cannot draw your handgun from the holster while prone or you will break the 180 and get DQ’d.

General description of stages:

Most of the pistol targets and shotgun birdshot targets will be between 10 and 20yards. There is one accuracy stage where you will engage 8” steel plates every ten yards from 10-50 yards with your handgun, which can be done from the prone position. The shotgun slug stage will require only one hit per target at the same distances on full size USPSA targets.

The buckshot stage will require knocking down 6 steel plates from about 10-30 yards.

Rifle targets will average between 10 and 50 yards. There will be an accuracy stage requiring you to knock down 5 full size poppers at 225 yards, and another requiring you to make 10 offhand shots on full size USPSA targets at 100 yards.

All stages are Comstock, meaning you may fire as many rounds as necessary to get your hits.

The highest round counts on any stage for handgun is 14, shotgun is 12, and rifle is 20.

You will need to reload your handgun once on most stages, load two or three shotgun shells on most stages, and you should not have to reload your rifle during a stage unless you have a malfunction.

Additional rules will be discussed at the mandatory shooters meeting. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Paul Mitchell, [email protected]

Just signed up for augusta

I received the following by email. This is one of the Clubs that will be hosting the USPSA Northeast Section Championship in late August.

Capitol City 3 Gun

June 8, 2014

Check in 8:00am-8:45am, pre-registration is required, online at:

https://clubs.practiscore.com/3-gun-match/register

Or email me: [email protected]

This competition is for experienced competitors only, if you have never shot a USPSA match please contact me to be sure you qualify to shoot the match.

Mandatory competitors meeting 8:45 Match starts at 9:00am.

Maximum number of shooters is 24 plus RO’s

Entry fee $20,

(Limited number of free entries for RO’s and set up tear down men with trucks, please contact me if you can help.)

7 multi-gun stages, all 3 guns will be used on every stage.

Round Count:

Rifle 100, Pistol 100, Shotgun birdshot 50, slugs 10, buckshot 10.

Equipment and Divisions: All rifles must be semi automatic. Slings will not be used. Pistol lanyards are not allowed. NO STEEL Core ammunition, make sure you check it with a magnet, some rifle ammo is steel core even though not marked as such. If you punch a hole in our steel you will be buying us new ones!

Tactical: Handguns, Iron sighted, maximum loaded capacity= ten rounds +1, 9mm minimum caliber, Shotgun no optics, maximum loaded capacity 8 in tube + 1 in chamber.

Rifle, one optic, may have additional iron sight also, no maximum magazine capacity, minimum caliber = must be bottle necked rifle caliber- no pistol calibers.

Heavy Metal: Handguns, Iron sighted, maximum loaded capacity 8+1, .44 minimum caliber (45 ACP is OK) Shotgun no optics, semi autos are OK, max loaded capacity 8+1, minimum 12 gauge. Rifle, one optic, may have irons also, minimum caliber .308. (7.62 x 39 does not qualify). Maximum magazine capacity 20 rds.

Open: Handguns, may have optics, porting etc, 9mm min cal, no maximum mag capacity, Shotguns may have optics, no max on mag capacity, detachable mags OK, feeding devices OK, Rifles, multiple optics OK, must be rifle caliber.

Holsters/ gear: There will be no restrictions about holster or magazine placement in any divisions, thigh holsters are allowed, except there will be no cross draw or shoulder holsters allowed. Note if your handgun falls out of the holster after the load command has been given you will be disqualified from the match for a safety violation.

Your holster must properly fit your gun and safely retain it. I suggest tightening the retention for this match because you will be running with handgun in holster. There will be no re-holstering of handguns during the stages.

EYE and EAR protection is mandatory for all competitors and spectators.

Rules:

Scoring system is called Time plus. Its very simple, your score for each stage is your time plus a 5 second penalty each for any procedurals, any no-shoots, or any targets that have not been neutralized. All paper targets require two hits anywhere within the scoring area to neutralize, all clay birds must be at least partially broken, all steel must be knocked down. Calibration gun for this match is a .45. Make sure your ammo isn’t wimpy!

Total time of all 7 stages determines overall match score. Fastest time wins.

Two-man team match for no extra fee, total combined score for two shooters. Just declare your team before the match starts.

Staging tables and dump barrels/ tables. Each stage will start with all guns loaded, your handgun holstered, and long guns will be placed on staging/ dump tables with the muzzles pointed in a safe direction and the safety engaged. During the stage while switching guns you will need to put a gun down either on a dump table or into a dump barrel. The safety must be engaged. The first violation is a 5 second procedural and the second is a match DQ.

Dump tables/ barrels may not be used for support while shooting unless specifically declared in stage description.

This is a cold range, all guns must be brought to the range unloaded and can only be loaded when given the command by the RO. You may only handle un-cased guns at designated safe tables, unless you have approved chamber flags. Please carry your guns from stage to stage either cased or with chamber flags either muzzle up or down. No one wants to be swept by your muzzle! Handguns should be kept holstered between stages.

Safety rules: If you break the 180-degree you will be disqualified. If the RO feels you are getting close he will try to warn you by yelling muzzle, if you do not correct immediately you will get the DQ. If he cannot warn you before you break the 180 you will still be DQ’d.

You cannot draw your handgun from the holster while prone or you will break the 180 and get DQ’d.

General description of stages:

Most of the pistol targets and shotgun birdshot targets will be between 10 and 20yards. There is one accuracy stage where you will engage 8” steel plates every ten yards from 10-50 yards with your handgun, which can be done from the prone position. The shotgun slug stage will require only one hit per target at the same distances on full size USPSA targets.

The buckshot stage will require knocking down 6 steel plates from about 10-30 yards.

Rifle targets will average between 10 and 50 yards. There will be an accuracy stage requiring you to knock down 5 full size poppers at 225 yards, and another requiring you to make 10 offhand shots on full size USPSA targets at 100 yards.

All stages are Comstock, meaning you may fire as many rounds as necessary to get your hits.

The highest round counts on any stage for handgun is 14, shotgun is 12, and rifle is 20.

You will need to reload your handgun once on most stages, load two or three shotgun shells on most stages, and you should not have to reload your rifle during a stage unless you have a malfunction.

Additional rules will be discussed at the mandatory shooters meeting. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Paul Mitchell, [email protected]

It's good to see a club interested in hosting a 3 gun match. Too bad it interferes with a match at York, Pa, which I'm signed up for.
Will there be more matches this year?

Just some observations.
Will the poppers at 225 fall with .223 if they are set to stay up in the wind?
I'd specify Heavy Metal at .308 Win / 7.62 Nato for the minimum.
It's odd that in Tactical, pistol and shotgun capacity is limited, yet rifle is not.

I'm in the same boat as Dan, another match already obligated.
I was wondering about the reset on a few targets; poppers at 225 and paper at 100? Must be using ATVs (or maybe brought the "Rat Patrol" out of retirement) otherwise hoofing it out to 100/225 will make for a very long day.
Hope to go to one of these in the future.
David E.

Starting my 3rd year at Pemi. It is quite a good time despite being mostly 2 gun with maybe only one stage being 3 gun. Its a pretty good combo for a small club utilizing IDPA/BRM3G and Bob Klimm's creativity. I've gotten bit by the IDPA crap ( I learned USPSA first [grin] ) but who cares. Its multi-gun. We shoot some fun stages during these matches. The Pemi ROs don't beat you up on procedurals either. A good place to ease into 3 gun, and you'll be humbled if you think you're a pro. Something for everyone.

See you at Capitol City then again at Pemi. Be safe!

Starting my 3rd year at Pemi. It is quite a good time despite being mostly 2 gun with maybe only one stage being 3 gun. Its a pretty good combo for a small club utilizing IDPA/BRM3G and Bob Klimm's creativity. I've gotten bit by the IDPA crap ( I learned USPSA first [grin] ) but who cares. Its multi-gun. We shoot some fun stages during these matches. The Pemi ROs don't beat you up on procedurals either. A good place to ease into 3 gun, and you'll be humbled if you think you're a pro. Something for everyone.

See you at Capitol City then again at Pemi. Be safe!

It is my understanding that Pemi is not really utilizing BRM3G as they advertize, as they are requiring IDPA style use of cover and target engagement rules on certain stages, so it is more like "IDPA with 3 guns"

It is my understanding that Pemi is not really utilizing BRM3G as they advertize, as they are requiring IDPA style use of cover and target engagement rules on certain stages, so it is more like "IDPA with 3 guns"

Not sure where you got that. Have you shot at Pemi? I have. The folks shooting 3-gun don't wear concealment, use cover, or have to engage targets in any set order.

Not sure where you got that. Have you shot at Pemi? I have. The folks shooting 3-gun don't wear concealment, use cover, or have to engage targets in any set order.

I helped run a match in 2012 in which use of cover was required to shoot. On my stage, cover calls were applied for shotgun target engagement and reloading in the open.

I saw stage designs in emails from 2013 which stated "engage targets from cover"

At the recent match, which I did not attend, I received information from 3-gun shooters who did shoot it. Also, see video links below.

use of cover required for pistol at 1:38: http://youtu.be/BE3y8oMu448?t=1m35s

"cover calls" at same point with pistol for a different shooter: http://youtu.be/AbkMVqUFBWs?t=1m59s

Target engagement order was required for the shotgun sequence behind the barricade after the pistol cover stage.

I helped run a match in 2012 in which use of cover was required to shoot. On my stage, cover calls were applied for shotgun target engagement and reloading in the open.

I saw stage designs in emails from 2013 which stated "engage targets from cover"

At the recent match, which I did not attend, I received information from 3-gun shooters who did shoot it. Also, see video links below.

use of cover required for pistol at 1:38: http://youtu.be/BE3y8oMu448?t=1m35s

"cover calls" at same point with pistol for a different shooter: http://youtu.be/AbkMVqUFBWs?t=1m59s

Target engagement order was required for the shotgun sequence behind the barricade after the pistol cover stage.

They did some growing in 2012 as they figured out whether or not they were "IDPA Multigun" (ugh) or BRM3G. The first 3-gun they shot there were...well, hybrid is a polite term. Lots of MD involvement/override as the RO's tried (sincerely) to figure out how to officiate.

They've only had one match this year (last week), so you talked to guys who shot last week? The April match was WX CNX.

None of the 2013 matches I shot had any such "identity crisis." The only stage-sequencing I remember was some kind of safety-related ones to make sure you didn't re-engage after a certain point.

They've gone through some growing pains since 2012, and I once had to remind an RO "that doesn't apply to us," but to call them "IDPA with 3-guns" is just wrong.

ETA: Bob Klimm is trying really hard to offer real 3-gun in an area where there really isn't any alternative, and he's doing a great job.

Last edited:
I was on Skip's squad last weekend and we did have to slice the pie and tactical priority and reload behind cover. However, we didn't get penalized much. The stage lay-outs were to the shooter's advantage (hard to make procedural mistakes) and the ROs know the 3gun doesn't really count for any IDPA classifiers or anything. Also, during every stage brief we'd go over the way they wanted it done.

For instance, on the plate stage. 12 plates, shoot the nearest to farthest. There was no cover for reloads. Simple. Procedure was laid out nice.

During the shotgun (actual 3gun stage) the snow fence was specified as your cover. I f-ed it all up and had to reload to avoid a down 10 right in front of the 5th target. I didn't go to cover, I just reloaded and thumped it. Skip explained where it all went wrong. Not sure I actually got a procedural. I should have.

Who cares. Its still 3 gun. Its still fast. Its still challenging. Pemi does a nice job putting it all together.

Just to specify. They score using IDPA. Classifications are BRM3G except a simple red dot on your rifle or shotgun bumps you out of Tactical Iron...which is ok with me. No optics makes more sense for an iron sight class.

I was on Skip's squad last weekend and we did have to slice the pie and tactical priority and reload behind cover. However, we didn't get penalized much. The stage lay-outs were to the shooter's advantage (hard to make procedural mistakes) and the ROs know the 3gun doesn't really count for any IDPA classifiers or anything. Also, during every stage brief we'd go over the way they wanted it done.

For instance, on the plate stage. 12 plates, shoot the nearest to farthest. There was no cover for reloads. Simple. Procedure was laid out nice.

During the shotgun (actual 3gun stage) the snow fence was specified as your cover. I f-ed it all up and had to reload to avoid a down 10 right in front of the 5th target. I didn't go to cover, I just reloaded and thumped it. Skip explained where it all went wrong. Not sure I actually got a procedural. I should have.

Who cares. Its still 3 gun. Its still fast. Its still challenging. Pemi does a nice job putting it all together.

I'm disappointed to hear this. I wonder if it's an RO holdover? Because I know I didn't reload behind cover last summer.

I'll have to write Bob and ask.

Well dont mention any names. I dont want any ROs to get in trouble. They're workin for free. They need all the horsepower they can get for these matches. They're getting bigger and bigger. I love doing their matches despite the 1 3/4 hour drive.

Well dont mention any names. I dont want any ROs to get in trouble. They're workin for free. They need all the horsepower they can get for these matches. They're getting bigger and bigger. I love doing their matches despite the 1 3/4 hour drive.

Dude! I'm hurt. I wouldn't screw anybody over. General questions only.

I agree with Chris I like the folks at Pemi great place to start 3 gun and there are some good shooters up there, I have not been able to get up there this season except for their 3 gun intro course, its worth the drive from Central Mass.

I'm new to 3 gun and I'm trying to find local matches in New England/NY. Its been hit or miss and very fustrating to go thru all the web sites. I wish there was a separate 3 gun forum on NER like USPSA and IDPA has. Maybe if a moderator reads this they could set it up. So far what I have found for 3 Gun in 2014 (please add any others i.e any in NH and ME?);

Lamoille Fish and Game Morrisville VT
May 25, July 27, and September 21

Auburn Sportsman Club Auburn MA
June 29

Harvard/MWT Littleton MA
June 29 (not sure if this is 3 gun info says multigun)

Bass River (Cape Cod?)
November ?

New Bedford Rod and Gun New Bedford MA
October 11

too bad with the limited matches two appear to conflict

Just a reminder, since Quag hasn't taken it off despite numerous requests; there is NO event in Auburn on June 29.

Is Anybody up in Augusta for the match this weekend, if youwant to meet up and grab some dinner? We will be around for the weekend with nothing really going on but the sunday match.

sorry Coyote 33, also take the John Kelly match on Sunday June 29 off the list its going to be pistol only, in the past they did rifle and shot gun.

Pemi this Saturday! 6/21 Get there before 9am! www.pemi.org

Somebody join me in Tactical Iron!! Heh, you can make fun of me trying to learn my new shot gun! Procedural after procedural! :D

Back
Top Bottom