3-gun noob advice kilothread

I forgot about the shell caddies, all that old school technology takes up a lot of room [grin]

Installed a magwell on the Saiga last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen Dean be particularly evil. He does put on challenging matches though. Don't be surprised to see No Shoot steel. Dean and I have shot the same matches.
At the team match, it was run as a Tactical division match. Two teams wanted to use a Saiga for the shotgun. One of which was on my squad. Dean decided to asses a 10 second penalty per reload on the Saiga teams. They were told of the penalty prior to the match, so, they could have changed to a tube gun. I don't know about the other team, but, the one on my squad didn't need an additional penalty. They had that much trouble with the loading.
No, the evil ones run matches in Oklahoma. They allowed Saigas to run in the Tactical division, as long as they maintained ammo requirements, and no optics. Oh, the Saiga shooters didn't dominate that match.

How do you arrange your gear on the belt, and do you change it from stage to stage? I'm planning to keep my pistol gear in the same places I use for shooting production in pistol matches. I have a 40 round AR mag, so I probably won't need to reload very often for rifle, but I still want a backup mag. I ordered two choate 6 round shotgun carriers for now. I'm planning to put those pretty much front and center. What kind of carrier do you use for AR mags and should it be in front of or behind the pistol mags?
Did you catch what I had said about the smooth half of Velcro in the Choate caddies?

Hah, your cat is all critiquing your reload. :)

Depending on stage layouts, I usually run one blade tech AR pouch behind my usual comptac glock mag carrier, and a 4 shot shell belt carrier (http://speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=MM1) in front of the pistol mags.

I ended up not using the shell carrier due to course design last year at the USCG event.

Just yesterday at the Harvard match, a couple shooters on my squad did lousy reloads.
Two options are download the mag used for a reload a round or two, or, give the mag a tug after you think it's locked in. Your hand is in the right place to give it a yank already, and it's much faster than picking up a mag that fell out on the first shot.

I was one of those shooters. Downloading by one round wasn't enough. At least the second time I knew why I couldn't get the mag to lock in. No amount of shoving would get it to lock. At least it felt wrong right away rather than dropping it on the ground. I'll try it with 28 rounds when I can get to the range.

I was using some borrowed pre-ban Colt 30 rounders. Anything I should look for when shopping for mags? Is it possible to get them to work with 30?

I was one of those shooters. Downloading by one round wasn't enough. At least the second time I knew why I couldn't get the mag to lock in. No amount of shoving would get it to lock. At least it felt wrong right away rather than dropping it on the ground. I'll try it with 28 rounds when I can get to the range.

I was using some borrowed pre-ban Colt 30 rounders. Anything I should look for when shopping for mags? Is it possible to get them to work with 30?
Jeff, I know you were one of the shooters. That's why I posted.
When your loading, turn the rifle on it's side and smack the base of it, then tug it to make sure it will stay. I have Magpul followers in my GI mags they take 29 rounds.
I used to try and buy Okay Industries mags, but, that was a long time ago. I have mags that are older than some of the shooters at that match.
Oh yeah, I like the Ranger bases for monopodding the rifle.

What does everyone recommend for hauling my gear around at matches? I saw people at the Harvard rifle match with what looked like modified strollers which seemed to work well.

What does everyone recommend for hauling my gear around at matches? I saw people at the Harvard rifle match with what looked like modified strollers which seemed to work well.

Native gun bearer may be a solution [wink]

If you find a used jogging stroller, it will work with proper ATV gun mounts like THESE or THESE

If you have to buy the cart, it is easier and cheaper to buy the Rugged Gear cart. That is the route I am going when they are back in stock.

Well, I've determined empirically that 29 is still to many, so 28 sounds good.

If you want to run 30 rounds in a mag, get a nordic extension for a pmag.
Not only can you now load 30, you can run up to 45 rounds and still do a reload with it.

Or pickup on of the steel 40 rounders (and test it with the gun you are shooting at the match)

28 / 29 rounds in an untested mag = a high risk of failure on the reload.

My 30's (when I need to reload) all have 27.

a baby stroller with ATV gun mounts works very well

This is a great solution for 3 gun matches as you have plenty of room for all your gear, and three firearms.
Or if you are cart "sharing" with a buddy, it works well.

I found these..
http://www.lapolicegear.com/5ta42dorica.html (NOT promoting the seller.. just the item)
and for a rifle only match, it has plenty of room for all the gear, mags, ammo, and the rifle.
Backpack straps to boot.

Picked up mine from a boot shop in Brewer Maine (who has several IDPA/ 3 gunners on staff).

Another variation of the cart is a hand pushed golf cart and a plastic milk crate.. cheap.

I found these..
http://www.lapolicegear.com/5ta42dorica.html (NOT promoting the seller.. just the item)
and for a rifle only match, it has plenty of room for all the gear, mags, ammo, and the rifle.
Backpack straps to boot.

I will add that these cases are very nice to have, I use mine all the time, one range trip I had 3 10/22's and an AR in it. The back pack straps are a big plus.

If you want to run 30 rounds in a mag, get a nordic extension for a pmag.
Not only can you now load 30, you can run up to 45 rounds and still do a reload with it.

Or pickup on of the steel 40 rounders (and test it with the gun you are shooting at the match)

PMag is a non-starter here unfortunately. I have a steel 40 but when I tested it quickly, it doesn't work at all. Haven't had a chance to try and figure out why.

PMag is a non-starter here unfortunately. I have a steel 40 but when I tested it quickly, it doesn't work at all. Haven't had a chance to try and figure out why.

pmag... ahh.. Mass issue.. right. Forgot about that.. sorry.

I bet it is the back notch of the mag where the bolt is trying to strip out a round that is causing an issue with the steel one.
A little file work here and there.. and soon you will have a "custom tuned" mag.

This is a great solution for 3 gun matches as you have plenty of room for all your gear, and three firearms.
Or if you are cart "sharing" with a buddy, it works well.

I found these..
Backpack straps to boot.

Picked up mine from a boot shop in Brewer Maine (who has several IDPA/ 3 gunners on staff).

Another variation of the cart is a hand pushed golf cart and a plastic milk crate.. cheap.

I went with the Brownells 3 Gun bag. Like it a lot
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27126/avad=avant/Product/THREE_GUN_COMPETITION_CASE

Back
Top Bottom