3-gun noob advice kilothread

Thanks Jesse, and welcome to NES. I ended up using the 28" barrel for that match and it worked fine. The plan is to get a semi-auto shotgun before next season. I have high hopes for the Mossberg 930 competition model that Benny Hill and Jerry Miculek are working on. Hopefully it'll be ready to be shown at SHOT.

After I posted that I realized there were 10 pages to the thread. I didn't get to read them all yet but i figured my response was useless at this point.

If you click on Settings in the upper right and then general settings, you can change the posts/page up to 40. This thread is only 3 pages for me.

After I posted that I realized there were 10 pages to the thread. I didn't get to read them all yet but i figured my response was useless at this point.

Not useless, I have not yet shot 3gun yet, and I am following this thread for advice on getting my gear set up. I am currently working on my 930 to get it a bit more competitive at the moment. The more people that know more then me, the more I learn.

Welcome.

Not useless, I have not yet shot 3gun yet, and I am following this thread for advice on getting my gear set up. I am currently working on my 930 to get it a bit more competitive at the moment. The more people that know more then me, the more I learn.

Welcome.

Cool, what have you done to the 930 so far? Which barrel do you have?

It is a 930SPX at the moment, got a good deal at dicks a year ago. I have talked to Mossberg, and they told me I could order a 24" barrel minus the porting for the same price as the ported turkey barrel. I am thinking about it, but I want a little shorter barrel, maybe 22". I want to ditch the ghost ring and giant front sight and go with a regular rib and fiber sight.

I think we are both following the benny hill thread on BE. I am waiting to see what kind of work these guys are doing to open up the loading port, otherwise, I just need to shoot it more. So far I am happy with it, it shoots everything from 3" 000 buck and slugs to Remington gun club #8's.

Ed,
The 24" barrel will not hold you back. Yes, I run a 21" Benelli and 22" on my Super X, but, have seen no match where the extra 2" is a dissadvantage. I looked at a used 26" at Kittery the other day, and can shorten it to about 22" after cutting the ports off.

So in an effort to not steal the AR15 show off thread with questions and conversation better suited for this thread, I thought I would bring it back to the top with a new question.

Supermoto mentioned tuning (lightening?) the buffer as a way to reduce the reciprocating mass. I am ecstatic with the performance of my new rifle, but am always looking to tinker a bit more. Does anyone have any input on this kind of mod, what the ideal weight to go with a lightened BCG and adjustable gas block would be? Has anyone had any success with something like this? Do you need to replace the internal weights with a spacer of some sort?

Thanks!

I swear I was just searching over that forum too. I guess I just get side tracked on all the other cool stuff there.

ETA: That thread has exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am ecstatic with the performance of my new rifle, but am always looking to tinker a bit more.

2qdvces.jpg

Danger, Danger!

If you want some good stuff that is proven take a look at the adjutable gas block, low mass bolt carrier, and lightend buffer that JP Enterprises sells. My CTR-02 shoots softer than any other .223 rifle I have ever shot.

JP Enterprises

Last edited:
If you want some good stuff that is proven take a look at the adjutable gas block, low mass bolt carrier, and lightend buffer that JP Enterprises sells. My CTR-01 shoots softer than any other .223 rifle I have ever shot.

JP Enterprises
Jesse,
Ed has the JP gas block and a carrier lightened from the same place as one of yours.

Jesse,
Ed has the JP gas block and a carrier lightened from the same place as one of yours.

Ah ha! I have been trying to figure out what buffer to run with my lightened carrier. Right now I have stock S&W 6 position stock on it that takes a carbine length buffer. I am putting a lightweigh non adjustable ACE stock on it that takes a full length buffer.

Dan,

With that setup is the JP buffer is thecway to go then. I should add this stuff is in my 16" upper with non adjustable carbine length gas system and a JP tank break right now. So it's way over gassed. I'm planning to change it to a 16" with mid length gas and adjustable gas block this spring.

I'm trying to figure out how light I can go with the short barrel and still get the recoil and muzzle flip managed down to the point that I'm happy with.

Jesse,
I run an 18" barrel as the shortest I own. Rifle gas, and run full gas too, with full weight buffers. I'm not fast enough to keep up with the young hosers anyway. I like Bruce Piatt's reply on BE. The different weights change the feel of the recoil, so, experiment some, like Ken Hebert did. Or take some weights out of the buffer. What kind of gamer are you that you don't experiment??[smile]
I loved the video of the match on Sunday! The scooter was a riot.
My wife would have wrapped my guns around my head if I wanted to shoot while on cructches. Last year, Supermoto and Noidlight offered to move me around on a cart at a shotgun match, a few days after having my knee scoped. The ranges at the club weren't as smooth as yours.

Last edited:
Ah ha! I have been trying to figure out what buffer to run with my lightened carrier. Right now I have stock S&W 6 position stock on it that takes a carbine length buffer. I am putting a lightweigh non adjustable ACE stock on it that takes a full length buffer.

Dan,

With that setup is the JP buffer is thecway to go then. I should add this stuff is in my 16" upper with non adjustable carbine length gas system and a JP tank break right now. So it's way over gassed. I'm planning to change it to a 16" with mid length gas and adjustable gas block this spring.

I'm trying to figure out how light I can go with the short barrel and still get the recoil and muzzle flip managed down to the point that I'm happy with.

I have run 14.5 16 and 18. I recommend an 18" barrel. If you want light, get a light weight design or have one turned down. You will not lose anything on transitions.

Dan,
I like to experiment which is why I wasted 8 years getting my Mech Eng degree I just don't like to actually work on stuff because I usually run out of patients jalf way through so I half ass my projects half way through. I never end of with something I am satisfied with.

Supermoto,

I am really just looking for the right feeling rifle. My 18" JP with the 15" PRI tube is almost perfect but I want to get rid of that .936" diameter portion on the very end of the barrel. I wonder why they put that big diameter out there on the end? Harmonics? I need to call JP and see what's up with that. It makes my rifle feel barrel heavy. I don't think it's gonna improve anything performance wise. It's more of a mental "I got this thing perfect for me" feeling. I'm bug in things gotta feel right or it will never be accepted in my little brain so I won't like it kinda thing. The same goes for the look of things. If it doesnt look right to me it aint gonna work right either.

Supermoto,

I am really just looking for the right feeling rifle. My 18" JP with the 15" PRI tube is almost perfect but I want to get rid of that .936" diameter portion on the very end of the barrel. I wonder why they put that big diameter out there on the end? Harmonics? I need to call JP and see what's up with that.

Give JP a ring I would like to hear the answer also. I like that look, I also find it less nose heavy than my WOA SPR barrel

Gentleman Jim had a barstool racer with a much larger motor than that little thing!
JP's contour balances out the weight a bit more. The slight muzzle forward weight bias has the gun "hang" a bit better when shooting off hand.

A friends wife shoots one, and it works well. I've seen others in matches with good results too. I've learned that ammo has much more influence in shotgun reliability than design, crimp in particular.

A friends wife shoots one, and it works well. I've seen others in matches with good results too. I've learned that ammo has much more influence in shotgun reliability than design, crimp in particular.

Interesting, I'm guessing most people roll their own?

I read similar sentiment on Brian Enos' forum last night; that place is just as dangerous as this, I've already started another short list after skimming last night, haha.

Back
Top Bottom