3-gun noob advice kilothread

As far as reloads, with my hand problems, 4 and 6 shell strippers are difficult for me to use even with practice. I am looking at a shell belt now as a possibility and will wear it above my CR speed belt if I can get it to work for me. Not totally giving up on the strippers but I need to be realistic too. I also made my own 2 shell carrier from a Safariland 2 shell holder and a Kydex belt loop Mike from Talon Tactical made up for me. It seems to work. We will see.

Have you tried the 2 at a time reload?

Last edited by a moderator:
The ammo rig holds 2 rows of ammo, on top of each other. He's also using a Benelli Nova, which has a much larger loading port than a Remington, and no EzLoader on it. Like anything, a lot of practice is required. But, it is SLICK!

The ammo rig holds 2 rows of ammo, on top of each other. He's also using a Benelli Nova, which has a much larger loading port than a Remington, and no EzLoader on it. Like anything, a lot of practice is required. But, it is SLICK!

I would really like to see a good picture of that ammo rig

Gary, have you tried the "Carlock Shuffle'? It's a variation on the "Turn & Burn" You grab multiple shells with your weak hand, roll the gun over, and push the shells in by shuffling your hand back and forth. I've used that method with my Super X.

Gary, have you tried the "Carlock Shuffle'? It's a variation on the "Turn & Burn" You grab multiple shells with your weak hand, roll the gun over, and push the shells in by shuffling your hand back and forth. I've used that method with my Super X.

I had to look this up, as I'm a "turn & burn" reloader, and am interested in something faster. Here's a video of the Carlock technique, with a good close-up view at about the 0:45 point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdloJ2A-0rk

With limited dexterity in my left hand, weak hand reloads are not an option for me. I could never accomplish it with a revolver either.

With limited dexterity in my left hand, weak hand reloads are not an option for me. I could never accomplish it with a revolver either.

The shuffle could work for you, using your strong hand. Although, I'm not a believer of putting the stock on top of your shoulder for loading. I'd try it putting the stock under your arm and retaining it there.

The shuffle could work for you, using your strong hand. Although, I'm not a believer of putting the stock on top of your shoulder for loading. I'd try it putting the stock under your arm and retaining it there.

I agree with you totally on that. I am trying the two shell method with strong hand. I am thinking the easy loader is part of the problem rather than a solution. It seems to be in the way for anything except one by one but it came on the gun so I have left it

I use the Carlock Shuffle. You put it up on your shoulder so you get the right view and the right angle for your right hand. You load 4 shells at a time this way.

Dave, are you using a Remington? They don't seem to work as well with a shoulder mounted, weak handed loading style, that the Benelli's, SuperX2's, SLP's and now the Mossbergs take to more easily.

OK, so I got some shell caddy's, and some dummy loads to practice with, and I have been. I am now getting ready for a 2 gun match this weekend, and I am struggling with how to configure my belt. I have an old belt that I used to use as a tool pouch belt and started playing with gear placement, it has a big plastic buckle I figure I can take it off easy enough in between stages.

I have never done anything like this with as many shell caddies as I am going to need. What does everyone else do as far as placing shell caddies and pistol magazines? I am looking at placing 2 pistol mags strong side canted inward, but I am hesitant because change scares me.

Any input?

If the buckle is in the front, put it in the back. It will free up room in the front. Keep the pistol mags where you are used them

adding; Keep the pistol mags where you are used them, The holster where it belongs, the shell caddies in front. What are you going to do when you need a third gun [rofl] You need to eat more to get more real estate to put gear on [wink]

This will be a great match to test out gear.

adding; Keep the pistol mags where you are used them, The holster where it belongs, the shell caddies in front. What are you going to do when you need a third gun [rofl] You need to eat more to get more real estate to put gear on [wink]

We all know I have enough real estate on my belt [wink]. I didn't think of buckling it back wards, that is good stuff, Thanks!

Adding mags for the rifle is easy, they go behind you. I'm seeing a possible strong point for the horizontal AR mag carriers. Also, I think it's Blade Tech that's making a combination pistol/AR mag pouch.
Just remember what gun you're loading, and maybe look as you grab.

After Sunday's match at Nauset, I'm going to get some suspenders! All the ammo and mags had me feeling like my pants were going to fall off!! Not a pretty sight...[laugh]

Ya know, I was thinking about doing that as well wearing a velcro under belt to keep things from moving around. (Thanks Gary for that tip).

Shotshells

Shotshells have been mentioned back a few pages, as to reloads or factory. Last weekend at a multigun match, a couple of shooters using cheap Remington shells had the metal rims pull off during their runs. I was there and watched as one shooter went from a smooth run to fighting with his shotgun. I heard about the other from an R.O. on a later stage. Right now, it's looking like Federal ammo that you can get at Walmart might be the most reliable cheap ammo to get.

Shotshells have been mentioned back a few pages, as to reloads or factory. Last weekend at a multigun match, a couple of shooters using cheap Remington shells had the metal rims pull off during their runs. I was there and watched as one shooter went from a smooth run to fighting with his shotgun. I heard about the other from an R.O. on a later stage. Right now, it's looking like Federal ammo that you can get at Walmart might be the most reliable cheap ammo to get.

what shotgun was it with?

How was the match?

what shotgun was it with?

How was the match?

I think one was an SLP. I'm not sure what the other was. Tactical legal guns were the majority. 181 shooters in Tac Optics, next was Open with 37 shooters.
The match was really good. However, the rain got us again. Shot 8 of 10 stages, they did the scores with the stages that everyone shot, then awarded prizes. Two days of sunshine, following 14 inches of rain that ended a couple days before the match started. Sunday morning, I was wakened by rain beating against the a/c grill. The roads to the various stages were mud bogs, and some of the stages would have been hazardous, seeing the path traveled was downhill in greasy mud.

Back
Top Bottom