7.62x51 Questions

Just got a used M1A w/match barrel ( I could write a new thread on just how jazzed up I am.. M14 was first rifle I qualified on in the army......ooops.. Did I just age myself!!!)).. Anyway.. started looking for ammo and am having trouble defining "MiL-spec". I have seen ads for Mil-spec for 145Gr, 147Gr, 148Gr and 149Gr (the sniper versions are just as wide spread)..Does anyone have an idea of what the army uses/has used (or has it changed 4 or 5 times??). I have bought a sleeve of PVI 145 Gr.. (the head stamp says .308 and is not a military type headstamp)..I love their 5.56 so thought I would start there.. Will know tmrw as to how good they are at 100yrds... Need some education... with a tnx in advance

Believe NATO used 147 grain. I doubt you'll see much of a difference with +/- 2 grains. I've seen high quality new production bullets with tolerances that loose.

Remind me never to buy Spanish ammo.

My last box of Sierra Match Kings had some decent variation. I wouldn't expect anything better from some of these countries.

WOW... I dont even feel bad about having that question... loginame.. tnx much thats says it all..

I think I'll measure the group size instead of the bullet weight :)

Back
Top Bottom