72 hour kit

Mr Twigg, I am serious, that’s why I posted this. Sooooo many people fill up there bags with worthless stuff and don’t have any of the most important items and those Items have to be combined with common sense and a working knowledge of your environment.

So I asked the ? what is the bare minimum you carry???
If folks don't answer seriously well, what can ya do?

Mr Twigg, I am serious, that’s why I posted this.

My response was not directed at you. The subject of "Prepareness" - even within this sub forum comes across as a joke to some folks here. Given enough public ridicule, sooner or later nobody's going to be willing to discuss prepardness or survival skills here.

What do I carry ? There's three of us here, everyone has a bug out bag with:
Three days of freeze dried & other food and a spork.
A one liter water bottle.
A personal first aid kit.
A complete change of seasonal clothing.
An Adventure Medical SOL blanket
Map & compass.
Folding knife.
A sidearm & ammo.
Defensive flashlight - Surefire E2D
GMRS/weather radio.
Firestarting kit.
Roll of nylon plumbers twine - (I find this better then paracord)

Some of this we divide but I carry most of the group equipment up
A 3-man tent, Pocket Rocket stove, stove fuel, 12X18 Nylon tarp, Water filter, Hatchet

The subject of "Prepareness" - even within this sub forum comes across as a joke to some folks here. Given enough public ridicule, sooner or later nobody's going to be willing to discuss prepardness or survival skills here.
You noticed that infantile little habit on some people's part, did you. Yeah, so did I. And no doubt I'll get crap for using the word "infantile", too.

Why only one liter? To reduce weight, assuming that you'll find more within one day? (It's one liter/day/person, right?)

Just one full change? I tend to throw an extra pair of underwear, socks & a t-shirt in my bag whenever I leave home overnight - never know when you'll get delayed, and I guess I'm a wimp... I like wearing clean clothes. I'd follow that habit of extra underclothes especially for a bugout bag.

Map & compass.
Type of map? Local town map? AAA map of NH, VT & MA? Topographical?

I can't put mine in my bag... it's always in my back left pocket. [laugh]

Why is that?

I'd be interested in your replies, Dennis. Always trying to learn.

My replies in red.

You noticed that infantile little habit on some people's part, did you. Yeah, so did I. And no doubt I'll get crap for using the word "infantile", too.

Infantile would be the right word for some here.

Why only one liter? To reduce weight, assuming that you'll find more within one day? (It's one liter/day/person, right?)
Water is heavy, (something like 8.5 lb/gal IIRC) that's why I carry a water filter. No reason to carry extra weight.

Just one full change? I tend to throw an extra pair of underwear, socks & a t-shirt in my bag whenever I leave home overnight - never know when you'll get delayed, and I guess I'm a wimp... I like wearing clean clothes. I'd follow that habit of extra underclothes especially for a bugout bag.
One change plus the clothes on our backs is plenty, and yes on the extra socks. This is just the bare essentials and I jotted down what I could recall quickly.
I'm not big on lists.

Type of map? Local town map? AAA map of NH, VT & MA? Topographical?
Local, not going far for anything short term.I can't put mine in my bag... it's always in my back left pocket. [laugh]

Why is that?
Actually its' nylon mason's twine: its synthetic and rot resistant no need to dissasemble a larger cord to get to the smaller stuff. 1000ft of it fits on a roll about 5"X2" (varies according to your source). Its mostly for hanging tarps for shelter, but it is sufficently strong to lash saplings together for a cooking tripod or to fabricate primitive camp furniture. (I am called MrTwigg for a reason [wink])

I'd be interested in your replies, Dennis. Always trying to learn.

What do I carry ? There's three of us here, everyone has a bug out bag with:
Three days of freeze dried & other food and a spork.
A personal first aid kit.
An Adventure Medical SOL blanket
Map & compass.
Folding knife.
A sidearm & ammo.
GMRS/weather radio.
Firestarting kit.

Some of this we divide but I carry most of the group equipment up
A 3-man tent, Pocket Rocket stove, stove fuel, 12X18 Nylon tarp, Water filter, Hatchet

A great list, Mr. Twigg! I'm partial to esbit stoves and trioxane fuel. Lighter and easier to carry. You also need a wind screen for it to be really effective. We each have one with plenty of fuel.

What do you cook your food in?

Backpacking kettle. Most bug out food is freeze dried again, cuts down on weight.

Like I said, I'm not big on lists I've backpacked up and down New England since the mid 70's so I tend to throw gear into a pack and go.

Last edited:
Mr.Twig good list, as we are here learning together maybe for the sake of others we can work here a little. For the bare minimum what could you get rid of and still be ok for a few days? How about dropping the tent , the tarp should be fine, and maybe cook over an open fire so you won’t need the stove fuel etc. Keep breaking it down. A famous survival guy Tom Brown use to say
“Separate your wants from your needs”
Of course this is just a learning exercise for the WTF situations.….:)
I think with your experience you would do fine with ¼ of what’s on your list. I’ve also seen your work and you are pretty handy and skillful.

The subject of "Prepareness" - even within this sub forum comes across as a joke to some folks here. Given enough public ridicule, sooner or later nobody's going to be willing to discuss prepardness or survival skills here.

It stopped me from asking questions in this subforum.

kaos that sucks. Well you know at least Mr Twiggs and I are serious, so ask away. I also think there are a few others who will watch your back out here...-)

Ask away, man. I think a lot of the "attitude" experienced in the survival forum stems from the self-proclaimed experts who like reposting stuff they read on the internet. It's pretty dissapointing when you meet a guy who's been all gungho down here only to discover that he's 80lbs overweight, has fallen arches, LARPS, and has some sort of kitty cat fixation.

Seriuosly, dude? 90% of survival in any scenario is physical fitness. If people put one tenth of the time into hitting the gym or jogging that they do in reading up on how to distill their own urine for potable drinking water in a SHTF scenario, they'd be 100% better off than they are now.

If you can't bang out a 20 mile road march with our "Bug Out" bag and rifle, then you're not bugging out. If you're plan is to shelter in place in the suburbs with your trusty M1 Garand that you allegedly learned how to shoot by poking holes in paper with a .22 one weekend, then you're dead. I'm gonna have a dude lay down suppressing fire, and while you cry to yourself softly and miss your kitty cat, I'm going to toss a road flare in your kitchen window and look for a pack of marshmallows.

Asking questions is one thing. And it's good. Spend time in the woods with your kit. You'll figure out what you need and what you don't. If you can't make it 300 yards up a hill with all your gear, then forget about that crap and start working out. There'll be plenty of survival mo shit lying around after the shit hits the fan and the fatty wannabes code out from dehydration, etc.

You have such a command of the literary word. :)

I wonder where you guys are planning on going when you bug out but if you are forced to bug out there will be a lot of other people bugging out too... so it's probably a good idea to think about competition ... for example you will probably bug out in your automobile to get away from bad weather ... so extra fuel will be critical.. power could be off and even if stations have fuel they won't be pumping it.... or they will be sold out. Drinking water and your medicine and money and your cell phone - to get news .... are critical.

90% of survival in any scenario is physical fitness. If people put one tenth of the time into hitting the gym or jogging that they do in reading up on how to distill their own urine for potable drinking water in a SHTF scenario, they'd be 100% better off than they are now.

If you can't make it 300 yards up a hill with all your gear, then forget about that crap and start working out.

Timber, you are absolutely correct. In addition you'll find it in this survival forum on the Survival Checklist based on the Argentina Meltdown, page 7: "Have a fit, healthy body".

And for the last 2 years, I've been working on it: Dropped 15 lbs., situps, pushups, and pullups daily, bought The Rack and use it daily, and joined a rock climbing gym and work out for 4 hours once a week climbing 65' walls. I'm getting there.

Last edited:
Timber I know where you are coming from, and I agree, but that might be a bit harsh for some of the older folk, injuries and such, but if we are gonna hard core it well, just do what you would HAVE to do and you WILL be in shape.

Every day
1.Carry you pack, guns and ammo
2.Walk and Run with it
3.Hunt, fish, Trap, and forage for food and meds.
4.Deprive yourself of rations, water and sleep
5.Fight other humans
6.Lick your wounds and crawl back to your hole.
Start again tomorrow.
You’ll be in shape….or dead…;-)

If you want to go to the gym after that......God bless you.

I've got a hard time taking advice from people who have obviously never spent much time in the wilderness, hiking, or in foreign countries with very limited support.

Show me a piece of gear, tell me how useful you found it, and tell me what you would improve on it based on your actual usage of it.

This is why I always mention nail clippers and some way to wipe your ass anytime one of these kit/bob threads comes up. I've been without both in various situations worldwide. It sucks. You improvise.

Here's some stuff I have tested and I think works well in a 72 hr kit:

Vargo Stove
http://www.rei.com/product/761903/vargo-outdoors-triad-xe-titanium-alcoholfuel-tab-stove

Ti Cookpot
http://www.rei.com/product/764181/rei-ti-ware-nonstick-titanium-pot-09-liter

The Stove, cookpot, fuel, spork, and other stuff all fit together into a nice (and very light) package. This will boil in about 6 minutes with well less than one oz of fuel.

Photon LED Light
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/photon_light_x_micro_led_single.html

This light really does run for 12 hours on one set of batteries. It has a built in dimmer which lets you use in in dim mode and save even more battery life. It has a glow in the dark feature to make it easier to find. Two of them cost $15 and weigh less than 1/2oz. This is a EDC item for me.

Do you have problems with wind, like the Esbit stove has? I had to make a wind screen for the Esbit from aluminum window screen material so it would heat the canteen cup I was using for soup more effectively.

This is why I always mention nail clippers and some way to wipe your ass anytime one of these kit/bob threads comes up. I've been without both in various situations worldwide. It sucks. You improvise.

And floss. It's in my kit. You just can't improvise floss for the teeth.

Last edited:
Yup you gotta dig a little hole to put it in or put rocks around it. I bought a piece of ti sheet stock and built a wind screen that wraps around the cook pot...just slide it down and instant wind screen.

Do you have problems with wind, like the Esbit stove has? I had to make a wind screen for the Esbit from aluminum window screens so it would heat the canteen cup I was using for soup more effectively.

In surprised no one has mentioned mosquito head net / insect repellent for this time of year.

Especially if you expect to get any sleep while bugging out.

A couple sets of foam ear pro is nice to have also.

In surprised no one has mentioned mosquito head net / insect repellent for this time of year.

Especially if you expect to get any sleep while bugging out.

A couple sets of foam ear pro is nice to have also.

Insect nets are small and can make a huge difference if you end up sleeping near lakes/ponds/swamps this time of year. It can also be used to keep bugs off of food while cooking, as a make shift fishing net and as a course filter for water.

I always keep a small bottle of 100% DEET at home and in my car.

Gonzo you are absolutely correct. And guys the reason why no bug nets and other comfort items were not mentioned is because this is a thread on the bare minimum.
But the bare minimum for one person might be a s##T load of gear for someone else.

The goal is to cut down on all that gear and replace it with skill and a working knowledge of the little to no gear you have and improvise
But confidence and a determined mental attitude plays a huge roll. But true confidence is built on personal success, and true confidence is earned through hard work and overcoming dissapointment..
It’s very obvious to those who have earned their confidence so see paper tigers. it’s kinda like being on the job site and the new guy comes with all his nice clean brand new tools.

We are all in different places in survival training and we are here learning together….I hope…;-)

Lots of good ideas to tweak what I already have. I keep a bag in my truck but the quality of some of the items are cheap (flashlight, knife, compass, the bag its all in) due to the fact that I'd be kicking myself if the truck was broken into and I lost the better gear. I've had vehicles broken into too many times to leave anything I don't want to part with. A better kit is kept in the house.

Here's some stuff I have tested and I think works well in a 72 hr kit:

Vargo Stove
http://www.rei.com/product/761903/vargo-outdoors-triad-xe-titanium-alcoholfuel-tab-stove

Ti Cookpot
http://www.rei.com/product/764181/rei-ti-ware-nonstick-titanium-pot-09-liter

The Stove, cookpot, fuel, spork, and other stuff all fit together into a nice (and very light) package. This will boil in about 6 minutes with well less than one oz of fuel.

Photon LED Light
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/photon_light_x_micro_led_single.html

This light really does run for 12 hours on one set of batteries. It has a built in dimmer which lets you use in in dim mode and save even more battery life. It has a glow in the dark feature to make it easier to find. Two of them cost $15 and weigh less than 1/2oz. This is a EDC item for me.

Ive been using the Jetboil for about 3 or 4 years now and its worked great, only had trouble in very low temps at high winds (read: ice fishing). Boils quick and fuel lasts a while, but always have atleast one spare, they dont weigh much.

Jetboil : http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Persona...8PHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310048032&sr=8-1

As for the pack, dont skimp on it, you want something that will hold up. Ive got a small military style pack, lots of pockets, will hold everything I need for 72 hours but last years of abuse. It feels small on the back though, so I may get something a bit larger eventually.

Pack : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SFQELY

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom