9mm Carbine

I got the PC carbine with the Magpul "backpacker" stock. It's very light, reminds me of ergonomics of m1 carbine, which is my favorite rifle.

I had a CX4 and hated its ergonomics. The way you had to get your head down to use its iron sights really sucked.

I found TNW Aero Survival Rifle a few years ago. Bought it so I could compete in PCC, but never did.
Removable barrel, collapsible stock and a bag. Came with a 9mm and .40 barrel and bold heads.
Got in on the SW forum used with 2 Glock 9mm and .40 giggle sticks.
Operates beautifully, accurate, great quality gun but pricey.

I'm going to go to MFS and try the Beretta, CZ, and the MPX. I've shot the 9mm Tavor before. Intrigued by the s&w response but Leary of their qc.
On the Beretta CX4 try it with a red dot or prism mounted on the pic rail. The stock iron sights are set way too low for me. Rail optics really change the experience :)
I happen to have a Vortex Optics Spitfire 1X prism on mine; I have trouble with red dots due to astigmatism.

Last edited:
SIG MPX is excellent if you want a nice 9mm rifle. From everything I've seen suggested here, it's a level above them all. The only one I liked shooting as much as MPX is CMMG Banshee. Delayed blowback and takes Magpul mags with 9mm insert. They sell 10rd versions of 9mm Magpuls, and if you ever escape MA with a bit of work, they can convert to normal Magpuls. Granted, it's not a simple conversion. There's the drilling of rivets, glue removal, new springs, and followers. Basically, a chore. It is nice, though, to imagine that one day, the MA mag capacity law will get overturned, and we will be faced with the hassle of converting them into regular magazines as free citizens.

You will most likely be able to still get a PC Carbine or CX4 after this shit show is signed into law.

I’d go for something that will get turned off.

It might be too tight of a timeline to get an SP5 and SBR it, but you can probably find a 16” PTR 9R and throw a faux-silencer barrel shroud over it so the barrel doesn’t look so goofy. You could SBR it later if you so desired.

I went with the CZ Scorpion and AR9 that I SBR’d when I was going down this rabbit hole

You will most likely be able to still get a PC Carbine or CX4 after this shit show is signed into law.

I’d go for something that will get turned off.

It might be too tight of a timeline to get an SP5 and SBR it, but you can probably find a 16” PTR 9R and throw a faux-silencer barrel shroud over it so the barrel doesn’t look so goofy. You could SBR it later if you so desired.
I didn’t even think of an SP5 or some sort of mp5 clone. I’d spend the extra dough for that.

There's the Henry Homesteader. it comes with a 5 rd and a 10 rd mags. You buy it as is, or you can buy it with the Glock adapter or buy it with the Sig adapter. I had one in my hands and it feels and looks more expensive than it is. $800 -$900 and probably less on Gunbroker. I cannot find one wit the Sig adapter since I have a couple of 21 rd mags that will work. OH, the adapter is based on the 320 mags.
I've fired the Beretta CX4 since two people in Mass I know have them, one is a member here. I like it.

i like my old Camp 9 by Marlin, works for me since I have a number of S&W 59 series pistols and it takes those mags.
new i'd look for something that takes glock mags

My Ar9 has been reliable since day one. 16” upper and another that’s 7.5”. The lower is heavy by newer standards. It’s a Remsport made for Lone Wolf and is dedicated to Glock mags.
Move to my my CX4 and again it runs flawlessly but recoil is much more noticeable. The bolt is massive and you can feel every time it slams backwards. Ergos are decent but my 2xl hands feel a little too large for the grip. I really want to cut off the piece connecting the grip to the stock. The sights do feel low but the rail provides a lot of room for a dot.
In the end both are good enough that I don’t feel the need to change them out.

I think the Ruger PC Carbine is your best bet for reliability and overall use. It’s hard to beat.
I would not get a CX4 Storm, depending upon your location, I can let you try mine.
Had me a Ruger PCC 9 since the spring of 2018 .. dead to nuts reliable. Accurate enough easily for 50 yards. I know a couple folks in my area (Northern IL / Southern WI) who routinely "ding" six inch steel plates at 100 yards using 1x red dot optics. I've fired regular 115 FMJ ammo, JHP, 124, 147, standard pressure, +P stuff .. you name it, the Ruger digested it.
Couple things .. it's a little heavy for its size but .. it's also overbuilt / over engineered. It runs dirty. It runs clean. It runs wet. It runs dry. It just runs.
Blowback - gets dirty fast. Comes apart very easily and is a snap to clean. Rarely needs more than 15 minutes of attention.
I paired mine with an SR9c .. so I have pistol and carbine which share both ammo and mags. Carbine has different mag wells so it can also use Glock 17/19 mags.
The carbine even runs with the couple of ProMag 33 round stick mags that I bought on a whim. Note - I only load 25 rounds into those for reliability reasons.
The best reason for me having this carbine .. it looks evil but does not run afoul of the IL AWB .. oh .. f*ck Gov Pritzker and all his minions
Yeah .. I'm a fan,

I had a Ruger PCC "chassis" carbine for several years. Very reliable rifle but a pain in the a** to take down for cleaning.
CZ Scorpion is a terrific rifle. It had a a significant break-in period where it would occasionally fail to properly chamber a round. I fixed that by polishing the chamber with emery cloth. Although not an AR platform very easy to take down for cleaning. Uses proprietary magazines. You can get extra magazines if required from your dealer or GunMagWarehouse.
I also have an Aero Precision EPC9. Very nice rifle, takes Glock 17 magazines. The buffer that came with the rifle was too heavy (bolt didn't cycle properly) so I put in the lightest buffer I could get and that solved the problem.
For hands-down reliability, ease of maintenance and sheer fun to shoot I like my Colt Sporter Lightweights. NEVER a problem with those rifles. They have the "retro" look of a Vietnam-era M16 with the carry handle and the round front grip. Uses proprietary Colt pattern magazines, they usually come with a 32-round pre-ban. You can get additional magazines from Duramag or Ammunition Storage Components. Unfortunately being pre-ban rifles they are very pricey these days -- well above your $2000 limit although I did get one on Gunbroker for $1800.00. It came with Uzi magazines which I do not recommend.

I have a preban Colt AR9. It runs flawlessly. Eats every 9mm ammo type I've ever used. I was lucky that although the AR9 came with 4 magazines I found a guy here on NES that was selling 6 Colt AR9 magazines so I bought the rifle with magazines and the 6 extra magazines all in the same day.

Last edited:
The mpx is a great gun. A bit pricey, but it is hire end. I also have an HK94. If I ever had to pull that out now, it has to be bad.

If I was strictly based off collecting theres no way I would reduce myself to something that took glock mags etc. I'd start at a CZ Scorpion and go up from there, otherwise you're just looking at pedestrian stuff. If money wasnt an issue id go with an MPx, most of the $ there is the fact that the mags are a Cosby Rape Machine, but if you are a boring collector that doesnt need a couple dozen mags with each gun then thats not a big deal. (I basically get cold sweats if I dont have at least like, 10, 12 mags or more for each gun type).
^ This. CZ Scorpion or Sig MPX for the win for 9mm. CZ is well within your budget. Not sure about the Sig, which is probably pushing $2000.

FWIW, I have a Scorpion SBR and have never looked back.

One option you may not have considered, but is a cool PCC is an HK USC 45ACP. Keep it stock or convert it to a UMP. This will likely be my next “project”.

Love my Beretta Storm . Also love my aero Epc 9 with a 16 inch upper. Both have holosun optics. Love to run them in steel challenge matches. Gotta say the Storm comes up fast and is super accurate. I say Beretta all day. Just my two cents

Opsec dictates I don't answer. But it's just my personality, and it's not just guns. I have a big sneaker collection, big Lego collection. Some guys like to buy and sell guns all the time, some collect, some see them totally as tools. Same with anything else (cars, motorcycles, sneakers, coins, whatever).
Reptile?

You can build an a la carte ar-9 with a radial delayed blowback design to get the reduced recoil for around $1000 while not going bargain basement parts.

Or buy a CMMG and be good to go. AT control's, uses converted AR mags, which can be a touch expensive if you don't already have mags you are willing to convert, otherwise have to accept 10 round mags.

Last edited:
I got the PC carbine with the Magpul "backpacker" stock. It's very light, reminds me of ergonomics of m1 carbine, which is my favorite rifle.

I had a CX4 and hated its ergonomics. The way you had to get your head down to use its iron sights really sucked.
Have the PC 9 Carbine. Great gun. Need to get the backpacker stock......keep forgetting to get one.

Boom sticks down south at my daughters ready for it.

Back
Top Bottom