• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A 1954 cherry !

I bought a MK4 receiver which had the rear sight butchered off. The previous owner was using it to cut stocks. Dave Santourri put a NOS barrel on it and I put it in some sporter wood and mounted a scope. It puts meat on the table and groups the first 3 shots from a cold barrel quite nicely. I believe it to be the best bolt action fielded by a military.

Last edited:
I have a 1953 No4 Mk2 that is unfired as well. British Army contract with the tag still attached. Spent its life sitting in the armoury but apparently never let.

Here's an album of pics... No4Mk2

Still has grease in the barrel, I haven't had the heart to shoot it.

You have very nice example.

Some more MkIIs

MeXYpyy.jpg

Some more MkIIs

MeXYpyy.jpg

I am dying ova heah. What is the top one with the cross pin stock support? The middle wood is so nice but really for ascetics a Mk4 should have the early milled adjustable sight. I have refurbed two Lee Enfields with new barrels and they will put 3 rounds on a quarter at about 70 yards. They are ingeniously designed to equip break anything solders and with some practice will provide accurate high volume fire. Won't hold up against modern stuff but in their day no other bolt gun did it better IMNSHO.

How is a Mk. 2 different from my ‘44 Savage Mk. 1*?

t

The trigger will be hung from the receiver not the trigger guard and they will also have the Mk I bolt removal mechanism. The mk I* had a slot in the bolt guide for unlocking the bolt head for bolt removal. It was a move to quicken production and last there was less disruption from German activity aimed at production. Savage and Long Branch had a higher machine finish too. No bombing of factories. Then thee are the Mk I*/IIIs that were FTR upgrades to the trigger mounting.

Cheers

YYJ9lgP.jpg

I have a 1953 No4 Mk2 that is unfired as well. British Army contract with the tag still attached. Spent its life sitting in the armoury but apparently never let.

Here's an album of pics... No4Mk2

Still has grease in the barrel, I haven't had the heart to shoot it.
This is why i dont buy guns like that. i would shoot if and if it shot well shoot it moor!

This is why i dont buy guns like that. i would shoot if and if it shot well shoot it moor!

Yeah it was an impulse buy, right place right time right price. But it violates my cardinal rule of shooting whatever I buy, no safe queens!

I only have one safe queen, and it's not much of a queen. It's a French MAS 36-51 that was unfired since leaving the arsenal, with mummy wrap and documents attached. It was dirt cheap at the time, and I have other MAS 36 models to shoot in its place.

I'm pretty astounded at how much the MAS rifles are going for these days, so I'm not ashamed for keeping it as-is.

My Enfields? I shoot them all, including the Irish Contract with all matching numbers including the bayonet.

I'm thinking I should sell this one and find myself a shooter to replace it. An Irish Contract would be cool since I'm Irish.

Back
Top Bottom