AAA Guns in Springfield, MA

I was at AAA for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was treated all right, and they handed me a few things that I wanted to look at, even though it was pretty clear that I was on a mission for a specific piece and they didn't have what I was looking for.

It was a little weird because there were a bunch of guys hanging around looking at whatever I was looking at. But they seem like the usual kind of hangers-on that you see at some shops.

I bought an AK mag before I left, just so that they didn't completely waste their time.

I did call ahead to see what they had in inventory for AK type rifles (it's a bit of a ride) and the guy I talked to seemed a little put out by the question at first. He said he was out in the yard. So I just said, "no problem, I'll be in the area tomorrow and will stop in", and then he seemed to realize he had a customer on the phone and he dug a bit deeper into his memory to recall that he at least had a WASR-10 for sale.

So after that stop, I went on to Guns and Gun Parts, down the road, and finally bought my SAR-1 at Nick's in Palmer later that day.

I think the service there was somewhat typical of what I've seen. I can see how it might be hit or miss. There are a lot of cranky old guys in the business, it seems.

But I'll go back next time I'm in the area.

AAA Guns in Springfield

I know I have seen a review of AAA here in the past, but it seems to have gone away. Thus - I will start a new thread and tell a sad story.

I was in AAA the other day picking up some nice Russian junk ammo (its a good thing that my AK would shoot gumdrops if I stuffed 'em in there). Just as I went up to the counter to pay up, some poor bastard got there before me and started asking questions about the training courses they offered (the pre-permit classes). Oh yeah, did I mention that we were the only two guys in the store?

Anyway, the guy started asking about what he needed and whether he would get his completion certificate after the class was done (the same day). The guy at the counter treated him like shit and made him feel like a fool. Just rolling his eyes and re-asking his questions to him with a snide tone. I remember when I wanted to get into the sport and knew nothing and did not appreciate it if people made me feel stupid because I was not an expert.

Then, he literally waved the guy away from him and gestured to me to ring up my stuff. I felt bad for the guy. It made me upset that the poor guy that just wanted to get into the sport just walked out of the shop with his head down and will probably think again before he tries to get his permit.

These guys set a real crappy example of "our" culture and set a precedent of "you are not welcome" for the new people that want to excercise their rights and have a little fun also. We need all of the pro-gun owners we can get , especially now....alienating them because you are to lazy or arrogant just does not make sense to me. I will not go to AAA again.

Last edited:
Every time I go to AAA I tell myself that I won't come back. Went there with a buddy the other day, just to browse around and see if they had anything interesting. When we walked in we said hello to one of the 'clerks' sitting behind the counter to which he looked up, grunted' and went back to doing what ever he was doing.

We saw a weird looking AK bullpup in the back and asked Phil to see it. He reluctantly stopped whatever he was doing on the computer and showed it to us. We commented on how the thing looked like someone made it in their garage. He just said it was a kit gun and then took it back.

We then were checking out the ammo and noticed that he had a couple cases of privi partizan 5.56 M193. Since there were no markings on the case or shelf as to cost we went back to the front to ask the 'clerk' in the front what the price was. He barked at us to "Find the single boxes on the shelf and multiply it". After going back to try and find a single box we could not find one.

So we again went back up to the front and told the guy that there were no single boxes on the shelf. Without looking up he again barked that he didnt know and to go ask phil.

At this point we go back and ask phil how much for the case. He looks it up and tells us $570. After laughing at his terrible price we left (I have gotten the same ammo for $370 just days prior).

Aside from the terrible service (my friend is African American and I feel this might have played a part in their service [thinking] ) the prices on both firearms and ammunition are out of this world. It is amazing that this place stays in business.

The one good thing about AAA is that after they treat you like shit and rape you with their prices you are only a 5 minute drive away from Guns and Gun Parts where he treats you with respect and has fair prices.

*EDIT*
I forgot to mention the $30 "pre-ban" AR15 mags I saw that clearly had "04/07" date stamps on them.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the $30 "pre-ban" AR15 mags I saw that clearly had "04/07" date stamps on them.

I saw those there recently. WTF is up with that?

Its a decent shop with a wide variety of shooting "stuff". After you go in there a few times they get to know you and you're all set.

I don't think that race plays any part in it. I've been there several times and have made a few purchases in ammo, magazines, and accessories. Every time I go there I watch as everyone gets treated very coldly. I've seen Soldiers and Airmen in uniform in the store that were treated like crap. They're just not the cheery type I suppose. Definitely don't ask them any questions about their firearms, because they will treat you like a complete idiot.

and +1 for Mike and G&G Parts. He's a stand up guy. He answered my questions for nearly an hour before he sold me my first handgun, and had a smile on his face the whole time.

After you go in there a few times they get to know you and you're all set.

I have been there upwards of 30 times. I have bought 5 handguns from them. I always buy powder and primers when I am in there. I get the same response every time. Maybe its me:)

Dave is a good guy from my few times in the shop. The thing about AAA is you need to know what your looking for, and what your willing to pay, if you dont you will get screwed, rather like a gun show. There are two other guys that work in there one can be a little frosty but he usualy warms up if you talk to him for a bit, there is however one other guy that is a total ass doesn't help you at all and gets pissy when you ask him to show you any thing. If the last guy is the only guy at the counter I will just leave on the spot. Also their ammo is way over priced $27 for a box of 50 38 special and $113 for 200 223 wolf.

Overpriced is a way of life at AAA....They succeed at capitalism just enough to stay open, but I honestly don't know how. "Only-game-in-town-itis" I suppose? Still, they have a pretty decent collection and selection. If you go to a shop for warm fuzzy personalities, and decent prices, keep on truckin...

+1 for Gun and Gun Parts. Bought my lower from them and a parts kit. Asked a few questions and he had the answers. Small shop but the guy knew what I was asking. AAA can be alil cold and prices high but they deal with crap customers all the time. Location has a big impact on that. I believe one of the owners is a West Spfld. LEO.

I would gladly drive 2 hours to Four Seasons instead of going to AAA. First off, as previously mentioned, I try to avoid that section of town as much as possible. Once in the store, you're very unlikely to be acknowledged or assisted in any way unless you specifically ask. Even then, the guy behind the counter is likely to respond with a great deal of attitude and quote you an unreasonably high price on anything. The selection of guns in the shop is not that great, and I have never found any bargains. Never take legal advice from anyone who works at AAA, such as how to identify a pre-ban magazine. I'm still trying to solve the mystery of how AAA stays open.

I've bought two guns at Triple A over the years both times I could not come to a deal with Phil, answers like no wiggle room and if you don't buy it someone else will.

The guy doesn't even run offers by his boss.

So I went out of my way to get Dave the owner involved.

Both times within minutes a deal was struck.

Dave and his wife are nice people, Phil Mr. Personality forget about it.

+1 for Gun and Gun Parts. Bought my lower from them and a parts kit. Asked a few questions and he had the answers. Small shop but the guy knew what I was asking. AAA can be alil cold and prices high but they deal with crap customers all the time. Location has a big impact on that. I believe one of the owners is a West Spfld. LEO.

Dave is the Capt. of the Aux police and Phil is his main underling. Hence built in sales and customers. Dave can be good depending upon his mood. Phil is totally useless in the personality dept. The store does have one of the best selection in the area but you are going to pay premium for that. Like others have said for a fair dealer with a good personality that stands behind everything he sells I would go to Guns & Parts as others have said. One of the few places that still considers the customer important. His selection is smaller but he'll get anything you want. I'd rather wait a little longer for him to get it than pay a higher price and crap attitude towards just to have it now. I'll still drop into AAA a couple times a month just to see if something really rare comes in but that's it. I'll do a walk around then go up the street to Guns & Parts or to Nicks in Palmer to do my purchases.

Surprisingly enough, I actually like Phil. He's certainly a bit... crusty. But after shooting the breeze with him one time for a while about U.S. milsurp firearms, he warmed up quite a bit. I did pretty well haggling with him over a 5906, and he had no problem working with me on a mutually acceptable deal. Perfectly friendly, and didn't act "put-upon."

The other guy that works there? I've been to the shop probably close to 20 times, and I still have absolutely no idea what his name is. I've just gotten used to ignoring him. That way I don't get cheesed off when I get the cold shoulder.

I bought my first (and last) firearm from him after getting my LTC. A stupid kid (me) walking in knowing I wanted a Beretta and didn't care. I'll take that one! I dealt with the older gentlemen, Dave I think. My experience was pleasant. I went back a couple times and had to deal with Phil. First off, you can say lack of personality but if you let him know off the bat you're a cop (of which I am not) he gets all chatty and helpful. So lack of personality category he is out of and placed directly in the (pick your favorite expletive) category. Their prices aren't competetive but they have a large selection. I see them every year at the W-side gun show and refuse to even look at their booth due to personality issues. I know someone who ordered an AR in .308 from him. Knowing it would take a few weeks before hand the deposit was given. 4 months later still no AR. After numerous calls and listening to Phil say "I don't know. They get here when they get here," he demanded the deposit back and eventually got it. There isn't any gun at that shop that I can't find elsewhere at a better deal. I don't mind a little drive. Guns & Parts, Guns & Gear, or R & R all have good customer service and decent prices. I'll pay the extra $5 in gas.

The next time you're in W. Springfield try here instead. Smaller shop, but you'll enjoy it more!

+1000 for Mike at Guns & Gun Parts. I've bought at least a dozen guns from him. Great guy! I'd also like to recommend Guns and Gear at 168 Elm Street in Agawam. The owners, Chris and Judith, are both competitive shooters and Chris is a great gunsmith. Their prices are very reasonable and they have a nice selection. They'll go out of their way to get you what you want if they don't have it in stock.

I had thought there would be a change in staff when there was a name change. I guess, then, that the name change did not indicate an ownership change?

There are new owners. Only one of the old crew remained as an employee, not sure which one. I have not been in there since they changed hands but my understanding is that the new owners are aware of the store's reputation for user-unfriendliness and know they need to mend some fences.

I'll stop back in one of these days and test the waters.

OK, so the change was only recently? I stopped in there a few weeks ago without seeing any changes.

Have they started auditing some of the guns they take in for sale/consignment?

The old deal with AAA was something along the lines of "AAA- where crappy guns go to die." The stuff I've heard out of there was legendary.

-Mike

There are new owners. Only one of the old crew remained as an employee, not sure which one. I have not been in there since they changed hands but my understanding is that the new owners are aware of the store's reputation for user-unfriendliness and know they need to mend some fences.
Phil is still there. The other guy that... I was going to say "worked there," but I only ever saw him sit at the counter, listen to Howie Carr, and actively ignore customers... is gone. Phil isn't Mr. Personality, but I never had a problem with him. I've met one of the new owners and he seems like a nice guy, very helpful. I chatted for a couple minutes with Phil about the expansions they're planning on, and I'm hoping it all pans out. I'm sick of driving down to CT whenever I want to impulse buy some AR parts.
Have they started auditing some of the guns they take in for sale/consignment?

The old deal with AAA was something along the lines of "AAA- where crappy guns go to die." The stuff I've heard out of there was legendary.

-Mike

How far does that stretch back? I've had great luck browsing and buying used guns there. Quality has been good, and prices were way more competetive than their new gun prices. Granted, I've only been into firearms for about 2 years now...

I'll have to stop by again and check them out.

I got screwed over a few times there and never went back.

Once I ordered a stock for a 10/22, waited and waited, keep getting the run around, a few months latter I get a call saying it's in, I go down and look, it turns out to be the wrong stock, they reordered a new stock, then another one, then another one, about 6 stocks latter I finelly I told them to take a hike when I found out the 1st stock to come in the owner liked and keep it for himself.

I made the mistake of having them install a ambi safety on one of my 1911, they messed it up and I had to have Greg Derr fix it.

They never were a friendly place to go into.

Hopefully they get rid of any one that uses't to work there under the old owner or they will not make it in my opion.

I hope they change their name also, if I hadn't heard here I would never think about going there again.

If they change from AAA maybe they will get new and old customers to go in there.

Last edited:
I've met the new owners, very nice guys, and Phil is the new and friendlyer version. [grin] They know of the shortcomings of the previous owners and are determined to make their store a place you will want to visit and deal with, time will tell.. I know I'll give them the opportunity, we can never have enough gun stores. Plans include expanding the showroom, more guns, more gear and better ammo prices..

I've met the new owners, very nice guys, and Phil is the new and friendlyer version. [grin] They know of the shortcomings of the previous owners and are determined to make their store a place you will want to visit and deal with, time will tell.. I know I'll give them the opportunity, we can never have enough gun stores. Plans include expanding the showroom, more guns, more gear and better ammo prices..

That was one of the things Phil mentioned. Apparently they bought some property next to them and plan to tear down that wall and build out. I'd love to see a larger-scale gun store in this part of the state, so I hope they follow through.

Although I spend a ton of time in the Marlboro area ..this is my neck of the woods and have never been.. actually never been to any 'local' to me gun shops since my LTC.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom