AG forced returns at bass shops?

I dont think this was brought up in the original thread about the glocks and kimbers being sold there....

I was talking to a guy at the range the other day about the peoples republic and the 2a. We started talking about the new glocks and kimbers were being sold at the new bass pro. He insisted that his friend bought a glock or kimber ( i forget which exactly) and later got a call from the AG's office threatening prosecution if they were not returned. Now I kno everyone here says that it is definately not illegal to posses these guns, its only a problem for the dealer. But he got me wondering. I told him that there was no way you could get in trouble, then I mentioned how if someone moves from another state, and brings in some shiny new glocks, kimbers, etc, that they can then do a person to person transfer and that is fine. He then told me you cant do this, and he knows someone who brought a kimber from NH, the law found out ( i dont know how exactly), and he almost lost his ltc, and had to give the kimber back to his dad in NH. What Gives? This guy was former LEO and i dont think he would have any reason to make up these stories. If it were I who got a call from the AG with a threat like that, I would ask what law did i violate, then lawyer up...

Wow, the rumors really fly around here.

I wouldn't believe anything heard second-hand.

Dude, sound's like the LEO was BSing the crap out of you, or
at best, is repeating a bunch of misinformation he heard from
someone else. Just because he might be a LEO doesn't
mean he's an authority on MA gun law.

If I were in your shoes I would try my damnedest to forget
anything he told you in that conversation, because it's mostly
misinformation at best, probably lies at worst.

-Mike

IIRC, it was stated by a BP employee that the company does NOT sell Kimbers, so there were no Kimbers sold in Foxboro!

The law is crystal clear . . . MA DEALERS are "restricted", mere LTC holders are NOT!

The AG would have NO way to know WHO bought what. CHSB and the AGs office aren't exactly "buddies". When they stung dealers before on this issue, CHSB redacted the buyer info and only provided seller info and gun info to the AG's office. It would fall the same way again.

I was in BP when people were returning the Glocks. It was clearly stated (by someone who received one of those phone calls) that it was BP that called and begged for the return of the Glocks . . . or bad things would happen to BP (not the buyer).

Most police chiefs/licensing officers have no clue about the AG's Regs (they are exempt) and damn little about the MA Law on what MA Dealers can NOT sell.

Some chiefs ask for (and even insist) on a list of your guns when they process your LTC request. I know this from first-hand experience, and I told him the law didn't require it and I wasn't providing it. Some successfully convince folks that move into MA that they must "register" their guns with the PD or the State . . . and I'm sure that some fall for that too.

You can't "give back" a gun to anyone. ALL transfers between living people require an FFL transaction if across state lines. Could he have been intimidated with BS from some chief to do what you were told? Sure. Is it required by law, HELL NO!

So I don't think your former LEO friend was lying to you, but I do think that some folks either lied to him or hit him with their "political agenda" and he fell for it, hook, line and sinker.

I was in BP when people were returning the Glocks. It was clearly stated (by someone who received one of those phone calls) that it was BP that called and begged for the return of the Glocks . . . or bad things would happen to BP (not the buyer).
I don't remember a spot on the 4473 for a phone number, so I have to wonder what they'd have done if one or more of the purchasers had an unlisted number?

Ross, big stores have access to major databases that have that info. They type in your name and address and all that stuff comes up for them. Also BP asks (does NOT demand) your phone number whenever you buy something. Thus they have it, not the AG (who could get it in a heartbeat from DOR if they wanted/needed it - it's on your 1040 and Form 1 tax returns).

As for the phone numbers, it's asked that you write it at the top of your 4473. Dicks does it as well. So did Wal-mart when I bought a Winchester 94. Well, the one in Ohio did...

A lot of people will ask because if you're delayed, then they have a way to call you back.
It's not some tin foil hat database with everyones phone number.

The only way your buddy could have gotten in trouble for having the 1911 and an LTC is if he forgot to send in a FA-10 when he moved here.

The only way your buddy could have gotten in trouble for having the 1911 and an LTC is if he forgot to send in a FA-10 when he moved here.

Really??? [rolleyes]

And if he didn't, how would they ever know?

Better read up on the laws again. There is NO REQUIREMENT to register ANY guns upon moving into MA with firearms. Only if you move the guns here AFTER you move in . . . then you do have to file an FA-10 for each gun. Otherwise, they will never know what you owned.

I don't remember a spot on the 4473 for a phone number, so I have to wonder what they'd have done if one or more of the purchasers had an unlisted number?

I have to admit that the stories of the OP do not sound credible. However, people have to think that someone would do something, if manipulated by hearing some of these stories.

Getting the actual telephone number and all of your previous mailing addresses, the names of your neighbors, etc. is not hard at all. Any attorney or investigator can basically get much of this information by using one of the services such as Lexis Nexis.

Bill

He then told me you cant do this, and he knows someone who brought a kimber from NH, the law found out ( i dont know how exactly), and he almost lost his ltc, and had to give the kimber back to his dad in NH.

Aside from the accumulating errors in this kind of "my cousin's friend's brother's neighbor said" shaggy dog story, it appears what actually occurred was an illegal interstate transfer.

Really??? [rolleyes]

Better read up on the laws again. There is NO REQUIREMENT to register ANY guns upon moving into MA with firearms. Only if you move the guns here AFTER you move in . . . then you do have to file an FA-10 for each gun. Otherwise, they will never know what you owned.

The OP specifically said he didn't know how. I was under the impression that there was no way around the FA-10.

Frankly, this story sucks and is likely BS. I seriously doubt a MA Cop is going to discover an illegal gun and let you take it home.

Really??? [rolleyes]

If someone moved to Mass with firearms (handguns in particular) wouldn't he/she be in violation of the law immediately if they possessed them without a LTC? Is there a grace period allowing possession prior to getting an LTC? I understood that you cannot apply for an LTC prior to being a state resident so bringing the firearms in would always be "after" relocating to the state in order to be legal...wouldn't it?

What LenS and Scrivner said.

Another possibility could have been a hi-cap with mags that ran afoul of the AWB.

Carguy,

There is a grace period for new residents. You can only keep them locked up in your home until you get your LTC, but it allows you to bring them with you and NOT register them. If you bring them in later, you are required to Register each gun with an FA-10.

It's all been covered here many times before. Use Advanced Search on the MA Gun Laws forum and you should find this and more.

I once had a guy tell me that in Maine you could have a hand grenade.
This may be true. Explosives and Destructive Devices are already extensively regulated by federal law, and some states don't feel a need to layer state level law on top of that. Federal law would require registration as a DD and payment of a $200 transfer tax per unit, making target practice a bit pricey.

This may be true. Explosives and Destructive Devices are already extensively regulated by federal law, and some states don't feel a need to layer state level law on top of that. Federal law would require registration as a DD and payment of a $200 transfer tax per unit, making target practice a bit pricey.

OK then, new one to me.

Back
Top Bottom