AG Guns Lowell, MA

AG Guns in Lowell is where I buy my pistols. 10% over wholesale all the time. In my work, I visit about 20 gun shops regularly from Webster, MA to Kittery, Maine. I have priced pistols in every store. AG has the best prices. I stop in Four Seasons regularly, and talk to Carl or Jimmy. Their prices are close, but AG is bottom. They also have a monthly gun club special. If your's is listed that month, you get it wholesale. December any NRA member buy's wholesale. Bought a new Beretta 84 for $440.00, a new S&W CS45 for $515.00 on December gunclub special. Regular price is $569.00. Just ordered a new S&W 1911 with adjustable sights and wood grips for $780.00. Four Seasons want's $790.00. Greg will match of beat any ad price, even if it's on sale. Check out their website at www.agguns.com.

Greg Danas is a good guy (so was his late brother George). But so is Carl Ingrao at Four Seasons. Four Seasons is a little closer to me and has a better selection of ammo and accessories, so that's where I usually shop.

George had a massive heart attack IIRC.

They are/were both very nice people, but I sure didn't get any deals from them back in 1998 when I bought my Bushy AR15 ($775, ~$75 more than Four Seasons was selling them) and a battle pack of ammo (360 rds/$99.95)!

Yes, it was a heart attack at age 37.

I attended George's funeral. His daughter was about 3 when he passed. It was really heart-wrenching.

George had been on the football team in college. Many of his teammates came for the funeral. Some of these guys made George look small, and they were bawling their eyes out. George's wife and mother looked devastated.

I hope he is in a better place.

M1911 said:
Yes, it was a heart attack at age 37.

I attended George's funeral. His daughter was about 3 when he passed. It was really heart-wrenching.

George had been on the football team in college. Many of his teammates came for the funeral. Some of these guys made George look small, and they were bawling there eyes out. George's wife and mother looked devastated.

I hope he is in a better place.

I attended the funeral, too. Because it's so close to me, I'd been dropping in at AG regularly, even if only to shoot the breeze, since it was an urban version of the old general store (at least as seen by Hollywood), with food and stuff up in front and guns and ammo in the back. George was definitely the hard-corps RKBA fighter in the family, doing a conservative pro-gun radio show on WCAP in Lowell for several years.

Well, it's only fair

I have recently praised them but after today I won't be going back.
I went in with my 6' 2" 14 year old son just to look around. My son was looking at something on the wall (it wasn't a firearm) and he touched it and the "gentleman" behind the counter barked at him "Don't mess with things!"

Now, he could have said it politely, but chose not to. I therefore, choose never to return.

I took my BP class from AG (I did a review in the training section months ago). I bought my first pistol from them this week.

Dennis helped me out alot and I ended up with the right pistol. He was very patient even though he knew he wasn't going to make an $$ on the sale (taking the class there lets you buy 1 new gun at cost, about 10% off).

It is also very easy to get to from 495 or rt3.

(regarding the post above, Dennis seems to be a bit of a smart ass and might have been trying to be funny, if it was him. He's definitely got a quirky sense of humor.)

Matt

Bugieman said:
When did he pass?

I took a course there in mid 1998, and he taught part of it. It was not
long after that when he died. I remember him debating Rosenthal on
some tv program that year.

Smith & Wesson is going to be at A&G guns this weekend. I am going to head there Saturday. Here is the email they sent out:

A.G.Guns Lowell, Announces..
800-9844867
www.agguns.com
Smith & Wesson Manufactures Representative Weekend !!

Starting tomorow !!

Saturday May 6th 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Sunday May 7th 9:30 to 2:00 pm

*Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day this month allows us to show our gratitude and recognize our Veterans! All Veterans that attend our Smith & Wesson weekend will receive a free gift from the Smith & Wesson representative!

*Anyone who owns a Smith & Wesson firearm and would like to have a "quick action job" performed on their gun (handgun) are welcome to bring their firearm to the Smith & Wesson Weekend and have it
" tuned up" by a Performance Center Armorer !!

* Special pricing on all S&W firearms will be offered !!
* Wholesale pricing on selected S&W firearms will be available !!
* Performance Center Firearms will be on display!!

I wouldn't waste my time with them

Early this week with all the hype about a S&W open house at A.G. Guns ,I called them about their $20 over or at cost specials. Now I am not talking about $500 or $600 guns. I wanted to buy 2 or 3 if the price was right. Instead of giving me the price , he asked me what I was quoted from another dealer -- and from which dealer. I gave him the price and the name of the dealer.
He said he would talk to S&W about special prices for the open house and call me back. Well he did call back and I was pissed ;he said that the price I was quoted was $100 below dealer cost and that he CALLED THAT DEALER AND TOLD HIM WHAT I SAID.

BUT HE LIED !!! TODAY SATurRDAY I WENT AND BOUGHT 2 TOP OF THE LINE S&W GUNS AT WHAT I WAS QUOTED AND HE ADDED AMMO!!!!

IS THIS THE KIND OF DEALERS WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH???

NO WONDER INTERNET BOARDS LIKE NES.COM THRIVE.

I BUY A LOT AND SPEND A LOT BUT I WANT VALUE FOR MY F@#%&k MONEY

FRED

I don't know with whom you spoke at AG, but I'm extremely surprised at what you describe. I've been pretty much a regular there for about 15 years and never encountered anything even close to what you describe. I stopped by earlier today and got my 686 tuned. I also picked up a missing sight screw for my 66 for free. Gregg, Dennis and AG, all of whom I know were there along with a couple of new guys who I don't know. I'll mention it to Gregg, since it's not the way he's ever run things. Like Carl at Four Seasons, Gregg guarantees to meet or beat any price in Massachusetts, including sales prices.

Ken

I took my Pistol Permit class from Gregg and then bought my first pistol from him in the summer of 2004. He gives you a coupon for one gun at cost when you take the class. I bought a SW99 in .45 ACP it, I paid $489 in August of 2004, I believe the MSRP was $789 then. I checked another gun shop near me at the time and they were charging $589. Last summer I bought a Walther P22 (.22) with the 5" barrel from him for $329, I have seen it for $329 at Four seasons I believe and for $329 - 389 at gun shows (At the Marlboro and Lunenburg show some dealers were selling the same new gun with that spread, who would buy from the high guy ?). I also think I saw it advertised somewhere for $299 but I am not sure. Anyway, with my small experience he has had good prices. His .45 ACP ammo has been priced well too. Recently I made my first trip to Four Seasons and found his ammo and prices good. Blue Northern is the closest shop to me and they seem expensive on everything.

So Thursday I stopped in shortly after lunch time to ask them about the S&W promotion, Denis said they would have an email out with the details that night but he couldn't say what would be on sale or for how much yet. I was interested in a SW1911DK which has a MSRP of $1274 so I kept pressing but he wouldn't say. Anyway Gregg came over and said if I wanted the gun he would figure out what Saturday's deal would be and I could buy it now and pick it up Saturday. Gregg is no dope he figured if I was going to buy it better to sell it now and order another one before Saturday to potentially sell to someone else (this is what he told me). He looked up some stuff and told me a cash price of $900 and he would give me a free AG Accuracy grip, which they sell for $69.99. I did plan on buying one of those grips (although I don't think I would permantly put it on the DK) so I think it was a good deal. I hadn't found this gun for less than $900 yet. So I told him I would take it and come back Saturday and pick it up, I was planning on bringing my SW99 to the Smith and Wesson guy. I did pick it up today and I am happy I bought it although I have not shot it yet, hopefully this week but by the weekend for sure. Also the S&W guy worked on my SW99 and said the DK didn't need anything, it was almost performance center quality (which is good, since that is what I was expecting). A few other people came in and had their guns worked on while I was there, it always seems like they know most of the customers. One guy came in with his young son who wanted to see old militray rifles like the M1 and Gregg was politely showing them to him.

Well, I just wanted to tell my experiences there, I find it the type of place where if you can go there you will get more infor than calling or emailing, that is a pain if you don't live near there but I think it is just more of an "old time merchant" kind of place. I work in the produce business which is one of the last bastions of this type of thing so I guess I enjoy it in a way. Someone mentioned that Denis can be a wiseguy in a previous post. This is true but if you keep talking to him you will get a straight answer and he seems like a nice guy, gun shops do get a high percentage of tire kickers so I suppose cracking jokes keeps him enjoying his job. Gregg is usually roaming around and he might step in if it sounds like you are serious about buying something. Also, I took some more courses from Gregg last summer and he does really know what he is talking about and is one hell of a shooter which makes me value his opinon on firearms. Anyway this is a long way of saying I like the place but I could see how it might not be for everyone.

PS Ken, what time were you there? I was there from around 10:30 to 11:15.

PPS I would recommend taking the Combat Handgun course from Gregg, 8 or 9 hours, 400+ rounds, a fun time.

Ned [cheers]

One more thing, if anyone bought a new S&W recently, go to this website, enter their monthy gun giveaway constest and then you get a link to a coupon you can print out to get a free range bag from S&W. S&W links to the site but does now mention the free bag, you have to enter the contest. I heard about it at the 1911 website.

http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/GUN_A_MONTH/gun_a_month.html

Last edited:
Still Pissed

I spoke to Greg 2 or 3 times. and I explained to him my direction I was going in the gun hobby field.

Again I'm not talking about spending $500 to $900 I'm talking about spending many Thousands to end my quest for the guns I want. (I think I want at this time).
The difference in price per gun was not $10 to $20 it was $100 AND I WAS QUOTED THE LOWER PRICES AT EVERYDAY PRICES NOT ONSITE SPECIALS!!

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT IF SOMEBODY WAS WILLING TO SPEND $5000 TO $7000 AT ONE TIME IN MY SHOP I WOULD JUMP AT THE CHANCE FOR THE SALE,AND NOT CALL THE BUYER A LIAR AND ALSO TO SAY THAT THEY CALLED THE OTHER DEALER. IN THE FIRST PLACE HE SHOULD NOT ASKED ABOUT THE OTHER DEALER.

AND I AM STILL SO F#$%K PISSED THAT I WILL LET THIS BE KNOWN THROUGH-OUT THE LAND.
Fred

Dealer Pricing

If I owned a shop and someone told me they were quoted a price $100 below my cost, I'd tell them the truth - that's below my cost, I suggest you buy it there and please remember top check out my store the next time they were in the market.

To tell you the truth I wouldn't get so pissed.. I'd just go elsewhere. I'll most certainly spend a few extra bucks to buy what I want from a place I find offers better service. Service to me is many things including- courtesy, honesty, commitment to customer satisfaction, etc. I will never drive miles and miles (not saying you do this) just to get the best price.

I have been to AG and was not impressed with their service so pricing didn't even matter to me. Collectors and Four Seasons are the best all around and even they lose my business at times. Sometimes the counter person(s) don't seem interested in helping and I'll leave. Sometimes the crowds are to much and I leave. Of course I will come back to CC and FS. Rudeness is never tolerated and the shop will likely lose my business for a long time. Wallmart doesn't offer the best service but their prices are overwhelmingly low on some things and I'm willing to make a trade off.

Bottom line... it's not worth getting pissed... go elsewhere and spend the money with someone that deserves it. Good shops will stay in business, bad ones will fail.

I always call a shop before, I go to see if they have what I want,because I have to travele 50+ miles each way.

BUT THIS IS A VERY DIFFERENT ISSUE THEY LIED ABOUT THEIR SPECIAL PRICES AND THER SPECIAL DISCOUNTS AND THEIR COST. ALSO GREG SAID THAT HE CALLED THE OTHER DEALER AND HE (THE DEALER DENIED QUOTING THAT PRICE).

SO THE POINT IS THAT A.G.GUNS CAN NOT BE TRUSTED!!!!!!!

FRED

P.S.
I WILL NOT LET THIS GO AND HE (GREG) CAN COME TO MY HOUSE AND I WILL TELL HIM TO HIS FACE .

Fred, Sorry to hear about your experience. I know that you were planning on doing some serious business at AG. Sounds like their loss. If I had a shop I would not want to lose your business, not a good decision on their part.

ive never been to AG before but i did call them once about a pistol they had on their site and they were kind of rude about it...i was gonna visit their shop anyways but now after what you guys say i wouldnt bother givin them my business...ill stick with the guys at four seasons...and zero hour arms too...carl and his crew and jim and his guys are good guys to talk to as well as buy from

Steve thanks. right after I meet with you I went right next store and bought the three top S&W 1911's they make, and pd with a ck no plastic. They had one in stock and had to order the other 2.

IS GREG GOING TO TELL ME THEY WOULD ORDER A NEW GUN AND SELL IT FOR LESS THAN THEY PAID!!!!!!!

NO WAY!!!!!

FRED
p.s.
Bloodhound -Try jack at C.G. in Stoneham he is as good as carl. I know I've bought a lot of his best 1911's inthe past 3 months.( from four seasons)

Last edited:
BillK said:
For the most part all the time's I have gone here, I have not had an issue, they are good folk's. And also offer alot of service's.
+1
I have purchased 2 firearms there, and have been in the shop a number of times. I have had nothing but positive experiences there. Generally, their prices are on par/slightly higher on firearms, but they don't do a great deal of ammo sales there, so if you're looking for a deal on ammo, I would go elsewhere.

I will continue to shop at AG.

Adam

Rob Boudrie said:
If I owned a shop and someone told me they were quoted a price $100 below my cost, I'd tell them the truth - that's below my cost, I suggest you buy it there and please remember top check out my store the next time they were in the market.

Years ago, I dealt mainly with two shops, Lew Horton's in Framingham and Ivanhoe's in Watertown, both have since closed their retail operations.

I was looking for a rifle for Maine deer season.
Ivanhoe's had several brand new Remington 742 Woodsmasters in 30.06 and was running a special on them. Horton had a couple in stock also, but they were priced quite a bit higher.
When I told them what Ivanhoe was selling them for, He checked and told me that was below his cost and was a very good deal that I should take advantage of.

The point being that He was very nice about it, even though He could not match the price, I respected Him for being honest and not trying to bad mouth Ivanhoe or accuse me of trying to BS him.

I went back to Ivanhoe's for that purchase, but continued to buy from Horton's as well.

Nobody gets the point

I did not by the guns BELOW COST THE DEALER MADE A PROFIT!!!

I COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE GUNS EVEN CHEAPER (ABOUT $20 EACH).

BUT I DIDN"T BECAUSE I LIKED THE DEALER.

THE POINT WAS AND STILL IS GREG LIED!!!!!!!

FRED

Please check your keyboard. There is a key right next to the letter "A" called "caps Lock" I think it might be stuck!

Adam

Last Saturday I visited AG while I was in Lowell to visit with a friend. I was looking to pickup 2000 rounds of .223 as well as an M1A or Sig 220. This was my worst gun shop experience (worse than Ware or AAA) to date. I entered the empty shop with 3 friends and approached the counter. The person behind the counter barked "What are you looking for?" And to each item I listed he respond with an abrupt and simple "No". After the third "No" he said I should "Try again". And then before I could even comprehend what had just happened he asked "Do any of you even have a license" to a group containing 1 LEO and 2 LTC holders. Well needless to say they did not get any of my business, and they never will. As I turned to walk out the man behind the counter offered me Greg's business card and suggested I call him when he returns from SHOT show.

This place is a joke, I walked in looking to spend cold hard cash and walked out laughing at the horrible selection and rude attitude. Buyer beware.[angry]

Back
Top Bottom