AG Guns Lowell, MA

From what I read and also my own personal experiences at AG, it's time Greg gets someone else to help out in the shop. The same problems have happened at other shops I've gone to. Maybe their help is burnt out on working with the public.

I’m a new shooter, and I’ve spent the last month or so trying to orient myself with the various gun shops in my area (metrowest Boston) and find a shop where I can become a regular customer. I’ve had some good experiences and some bad experiences, but by far the worst experience(s) I’ve had have been with AG Guns in Lowell. I would think that being a new shooter who’s ready to spend several thousand dollars on guns, ammunition, and accessories over the next month or two (including a significant gun safe) would make me a desirable customer to have, but apparently not desirable enough at AG Guns.

My first experience was when I bought my first gun online, and wanted to have it transferred into the state by AG Guns. I called ahead (before I purchased the gun) to inquire about their transfer policy, and was told to give the shop the seller’s information, and they would send him their FFL and complete the transfer for me. After I purchased the gun and gave them this info, they refused to complete the transfer because the seller was not an FFL (there was no question as to whether the seller was an FFL when I inquired about their policy). They (Dennis) told me it is ILLEGAL for a gun shop to receive a transfer from anyone but an FFL, and in general was a real jerk about the whole transaction (I now know it’s not illegal, but many stores won’t do it for liability reasons, but he could have told me that in the first place). I finally had the seller ship it from an FFL, and even then he hassled me constantly throughout the process.

Then I inquired (with Greg) about joining a gun club, which is a requirement of my target only LTC. He told me that by signing up for a class with him, I’d be joining his club and he’d give me all the paperwork that would satisfy the requirement. So I paid $150 for a one day bull’s-eye class (plus bought another $100 in ammo he said I’d need for the class), and I got a nifty little membership card and letter. The problem is, there is no “club” or range or anything you would expect – he teaches the class out of another club, and the “membership” is only good for that one class. Wish he would have been more clear of that off the bat.

So the week of my class rolls around, and I have a family emergency on the west coast and have to leave the state and miss the class. So I called the shop and got Dennis (Greg was “unavailable” as he always seems to be). I told Dennis I was going to miss the class, and wanted to reschedule, and he told me to call back the next day and talk to Greg. I called a couple more times, and finally got a hold of Greg (this is after the class has already occurred). I explained the situation, and told him I wanted to reschedule for his next available class. Instead of offering a solution, he gets this real confrontational attitude, and asks me “What do you think I should do?” We go back and forth, and while he won’t come out and say it, he basically implied that he won’t let me sign up for another class without paying the full price again. So I said, “So basically you’re saying I’m SOL?” And again he says, “Well what do you think.” And I started to explain that I thought it was good customer service, and I anticipate spending a lot of money in his shop, and he cuts me off, staying, “It doesn’t matter how many guns you buy from me, I don’t care about that.” About then I realized I was wasting my time, just before he hung up the phone.

I consider it a $150 learning experience. I’ve heard good things about Four Seasons.

That's really too bad

Especially since you are a new shooter. But as you can see from the earlier posts AG is an equal opportunity jerkwad.

Yes, Four Seasons is great and is by far the most popular in the area, but there are others as well. Collectors in Stoneham is good and competitive prices. They're not real talky but certainly won't be the A-holes that AG are.

Blue Northern in Ayer are good guys. Stateline in Mason NH is great and he keeps a good selection of MA compliant guns.

I was in the same position you were when I first moved here. It just takes a little time. Sorry you lost the money, but now you can warn others.

I really don't understand how a place like that stays in business. It is my belief those types of places are fronts for some other illicit activity. That's the only possible reason a business would deliberately run of customers.

Then I inquired (with Greg) about joining a gun club, which is a requirement of my target only LTC.

Just so you know (for next time), the chief has NO such authority to impose that "requirement." As a matter of case law (Fox v. Chief of Randolph), membership in a club is not required for an LTC.

As for training, you could also try Northeast Trading or American Firearms School, each in N. Attleboro.

I consider it a $150 learning experience.
Way too much for a learning experience if you ask me.

I've spent probably $4000 at AG Guns over the past three years, and that will be all. I had never had a bad experience at AG (until a couple of weeks ago), but I'd also never had a memorably good one there either.

About two weeks ago, I called them on a handgun that I had been looking for. A friend saw it in their shop, and told me how much they wanted for it. I called there and spoke to someone I'd dealt with before (I got his name to be sure), verified the price (it was the same price my friend told me earlier), and said I was on my way.

When I arrived, I asked for the person that I'd spoken with 30 minutes earlier. He showed me the firearm, and when I again asked for the price, it was suddenly $100 more than what he told me on the phone. When I asked him why he quoted me a lower price over the phone 1/2 hour earlier, he laughed and said that he'd lose money at that price, and that he never spoke to me on the phone. So either:
1. He was lying.
2. He was too stupid to remember 30 minutes into the past.

Either way, I wouldn't buy so much as a primer from that shop again. There are few things I detest more than being jerked around. Instead, I'll take my business to Four Seasons or...

Blue Northern in Ayer ...

Blue Northern and Four Seasons always do the right thing.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I, a new shooter also, stopped by AG Guns on Thursday shopping around for my first handgun. Dennis was quite helpful, although not very talkative, bringing out a fair number of different pistols for me to handle. I didn't buy anything because I didn't see anything that really fit my hands well and I wanted to shop around a bit more, but I might go back.

I agree that the guys at Blue Northern are about the most helpful I've come across. Their selection of handguns just isn't up with some other places.

same here

I went there once little more than a year ago. I got this kinda wise ass
attitude like i was a dummy. That was the last time, my business goes to
four seasons hands down.

You will not find any BS there period. I feel comfortable there and never
had a problem.

I have also heard about the other shop in Stoneham i believe, will
have to check it out. Both are a field trip for me.

If you live out in the Metro west are there is a small shop in Hudson
K&R target sports on Rte 62. I've had good luck there as well.
Its currently closed for the winter reopening early April.

JimB

Same here as well

Went to AG guns once.First and last time. What else should I say.
I would recommend "The Shooters Box" in Malden. Super nice guy.

When George was at AG's, the place was a pleasure to be in. Been back a few times since he passed away (which was extremely unfortunate-he was a great guy) and experienced the pissy attitude of the help. No reason to go there an get abused.

i bought an m&p compact .40 460.00 tax included at ag in lowell.was surprised at how friendly and helpfull the heavier guy at the counter was considering everyone i encountered on the road driving through lowell was a complete Ma**h***.i would tolerate those lunatic a-hole lowell drivers to spend money there again.not a big selection but i was treated like a human and thats all i ask for

I picked up an M&P 9c at AG today, and was happy with the service and very happy with the price. $439, plus I get $50 and 2 more mags from S&W. They said that they're extending the M&P sale through Jan 31, the same time frame as the rebate.

The only down side was I got some gun-shop legal advice [wink]. When Dennis gave me the rebate form, he said, don't bother trying to check off the 12 round mags; they won't send them to you. When I said that I really wasn't planning on committing any felonies anyway, he said that having the mags wasn't a felony, he just couldn't sell them to me. I just smiled and left with my new purchase.

When Dennis gave me the rebate form, he said, don't bother trying to check off the 12 round mags; they won't send them to you. When I said that I really wasn't planning on committing any felonies anyway, he said that having the mags wasn't a felony, he just couldn't sell them to me.

Well, at least YOU know that he doesn't know what he's talking about! [wink]

Great prices

I just bought a brand new S&W MP9 for $439.00 it came with a coupon for a $50 rebate and two additional magazines! Best price around by a long shot.

A and G Guns, Lowell MA

decent prices on Ammo and Pistols...

the also have a large selection of holsters, cleaning equipment and long guns...

www.agguns.com

I picked up a Ruger P345 and some rounds. Nice service, pretty knowledgable

the fat guy does seem to have a "twisted" sense of humor though.

I guess my question is how did "we" act or respond to their attitudes. The store is in Lowell, so I'm sure they get their share of azz-hats coming into their store who don't intend on buying.

+1 on both comments. Had good dealings with them myself the 2 times I have bought there. But it took a second or two to realise the guy was joking. After that, all was well.

Have known Greg and his family for some years. Purchased a Glock there yesterday with some ammo. Dealth with the gentleman behind the counter. We had a great time. Very happy to chat with Greg too.

+1 on both comments. Had good dealings with them myself the 2 times I have bought there. But it took a second or two to realise the guy was joking. After that, all was well.

The "Fat Guy's" name is Dennis. He was pretty funny when we were discussing IWB Holsters and maybe not having enough room for one.

PRICES

I just called my dealer friend about markup.25/30%.I have bought at cost so knew the markup but wanted to be sure before posting.[smile]
[rofl]---[laugh2]

Been to the shop once recently.
Had a fine experience with both Dennis & Greg.
Dennis had responded very quickly to an email that I sent re: some models they had listed, so it "triggered" a roadtrip!
Departed with what I wanted at what I considered a very good price, and I had done my shopping around...
Will I go there again? Yes.
Do I also buy from other dealers? Of course, when they have what I want, or can get what I want.

AG replied to my Emain within 24 hours, as did North Shore. North Shore price =$832 and AG price =$722, considerable difference. for the exact same firearm.
I have dealt with the guys from North Shore and think they're a real nice bunch of guys. I will purchase from them again. Greg at AG was nice to deal with, the big guy not so much, though it was my first time dealing with him, he may just have a weird sense of humor as others have stated. All in all, until I have to go back to either one of these stores for problems with my guns will dictate weather they're on my shit list.

ag has a nice lineup ofsecond hand (used)handguns and rifles. Greg is a little sullen unless your a leo, Dennis has a very dry sense of humor.

soooo.....

I just bought one yesterday ;)

NICE rifle. Its this model:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=35&productid=217

They just removed the flash suppressor, changed the stock to the standard AR stock. Nice weight, great trigger, optics are functional (decent, its not EOTech, but its good enough), and includes BUIS..

Good stuff.

When you say that they put a standard AR stock on, do you mean that it's a 6-position pinned?

Also, how does it shoot. I've been curious about this one prior to buying an M4gery. What's the good word?

Oh, sorry for not being clear. It has the standard OD green, non-telescoping stock.

Have not shot it yet, however I have read great reviews. I think Rifleman rated it tactical rifle of the year.

I will say that the weight of the rifle is fantastic, as is the trigger. All things considered, I felt it was a good buy.

took my Ruger back last week - it needs a part that must be "factory fitted"........

Dennis tried to convince me to do ship it myself because it was cheaper. I politely declined as I did NOT want the head aches of tracking and sending a firearm.....

So I have NO complaints on A&G Guns.... as a paying customer, I will most likely visit A & G Guns again..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We shot the breeze while doing the transaction and they were pretty nice... the fat guy does seem to have a "twisted" sense of humor though.

I guess my question is how did "we" act or respond to their attitudes. The store is in Lowell, so I'm sure they get their share of azz-hats coming into their store who don't intend on buying.

Denis is an odd duck, but I kind of like him. He sold me my first pistol and was very patient.

I've never seen anyone respond to Dennis or Greg in a way that set them off except a group of young guys that came in once. They looked like punks, and Dennis quickly kicked them out.

I could see if someone was not paying attention they might take Dennis the wrong way and things might go badly, but I'd have to guess the responsibility goes both ways.

I just bought one yesterday ;)

NICE rifle. Its this model:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=35&productid=217

They just removed the flash suppressor, changed the stock to the standard AR stock. Nice weight, great trigger, optics are functional (decent, its not EOTech, but its good enough), and includes BUIS..

Good stuff.

I have been thinking of buying one of these rifles - maybe I will take a trip over to AG, they were one of the first places I visited when I first got my license and was looking to buy my first pistol. Didn't end up buying there - but I do remember them being pretty helpful.

Back
Top Bottom