AK question

lol yup.

I sold a Legend I think was around $1200, and a Norinco for around 7.

I remember the canted sights.

Don't remember them fixing that slap though.

I remember before I first fired one the guy who owned complained about the slap, I just thought he was a f'n pussy.. Then I shot a mag and my trigger finger was numb for like 5 minutes.

Bottom line, it just sucks that anybody just getting into AK's has to spend $2k on a damn WASR. That would cause anybody to say AK's suck if that is the only one you ever shot.

AK pic time !

0sAJpg2.jpg
Exactly why I haven’t bought an AK, I missed the glory years and at this point its not worth it in MA for the 500% price mark up.

I don't know, based on the sellers feedback, I probably wouldn't have stripped it. I would say the majority of firearm enthusiasts are not trying to pass off broken stuff.

I have seen sellers intentionally misrepresent stuff, still listed for sale in the classifieds.

All I can say without stomping on an ad, if you want to buy an AK, talk to someone somewhat knowledgeable about them to help you out so you don't buy something at a premium you later find out doesn't really exist.

I have seen sellers intentionally misrepresent stuff, still listed for sale in the classifieds.

All I can say without stomping on an ad, if you want to buy an AK, talk to someone somewhat knowledgeable about them to help you out so you don't buy something at a premium you later find out doesn't really exist.
Ah yes. Rare is thrown around too much. On a side note I have a rare shield 9 1.0.

Ah yes. Rare is thrown around too much. On a side note I have a rare shield 9 1.0.
Agreed. History/rareness of a firearm is a little different that a possible broken firearm.
Personally, I'd never strip a firearm looking for a quality issue at point of sale. I'd take the sellers word on how they answer "hows it shoot".
I would strip a firearm if looking for certain features of a particular setup on milsurp firearms.

That makes sense.. Nobody really bought those that were into AK's back then, I only knew they sucked and were wicked cheap. I shot one of those and the trigger slap was numbing lol I just seem to remember them being around 250- 300.

I just bought Arsenal guns and Bulgarian kits.

shit, if people are paying $2k for a f'n WASR, my Arsenal SAM7 should sell for around $9k lol

I like it too much to sell it though.
I was thinking the same. I have an Arsenal SAM7 also that I bought/transferred a week before the 7/20/16 bullshit. I forget what I paid. $1600-$1800 if I recall. That’s got to be a $4-$5k gun now??

I was thinking the same. I have an Arsenal SAM7 also that I bought/transferred a week before the 7/20/16 bullshit. I forget what I paid. $1600-$1800 if I recall. That’s got to be a $4-$5k gun now??

Not quite. From what I've seen, the lower end of the market has risen A LOT more than the upper end. So the gap has narrowed. If a preban underfolder was around $1600 when a WASR was $600, that thousand-dollar gap seems to have narrowed now to about the $700 between a $1500 WASR and a $2200 underfolder.

I got my preban milled Bulgy for about $1800 (in trade) after 7/20. That's a premium, but nowhere near the premium on a moden entry-level AK like a WASR.

I believe WASR10's were originally single stack magazines that were then worked to accept double stack. Maybe that had something to do with the missing material.
They where imported as single stack and the mag well where opened up to accept the double stack mags, you can see in the photo where an end mill was run up each side of the front of the mag well to open it up

I really wanted a cheap ak to just throw around, but those days seem over

Think I paid $400 for my WASR. Manchester Firing Line had a pallet of them like 10 years ago.
Came with 2 Tapco mags, bayonet, oil bottle, cleaning kit and rod. Figured it was a fair price.
Only issues are mild trigger slap, picky about what mags fit, and can’t get a slant brake that doesn’t rattle / loosen up.

An SKS will still do, though.

Honestly, for the price of just about any AK right now, you could probably find a Vz58 and get a much better rifle. But it won't be quite as badass as that AK.
Even sks's are going for crazy $, Im hoping to snag a cheap one if I can catch it

Nope, more like 700.

In 2004 WASRs were cheap (You could buy them at deli ticket emporium for like $259.00 ) but after the first obamascare came, that ended that. Cheap AKs really ended after Obama came along. I think it was incidental to all the stupid ATF barrel bans and that garbage, too.
Just looked through my FA10's i purchased a wasr10 that was transfered through precision point in woburn for $400 in 2014. So they were still pretty cheep 7 years ago. Wish i still had it. I sold it thinking ill just buy another down the road.

Just look at what happened to the asking prices on Pre ban Chinese. 800-1000 more asking prices at FFLs in one to two months

I don't know, based on the sellers feedback, I probably wouldn't have stripped it. I would say the majority of firearm enthusiasts are not trying to pass off broken stuff.
I don’t think he was trying to pass it off at all, and he agreed to cover the cost of the repair. Probably just didn’t notice. There could have been carbon built up in that area making it impossible to see. I only discovered it after giving it a good cleaning.

The other thing to remember is that canted sights in and of themselves are not an issue as long as it doesn't prevent you from zeroing the gun. If at max windage one way or the other you can't zero it, then you have a problem. That isn't terribly common.

ARs are not immune to canted sights either, you just don't hear about it as much.

Whats reasonable nowadays? I've seen 800 dollar russian guns up for sale and sold 2 days later
While 800 is a lot, I'd probably pay it. I was considering a cz 527 too. Ill skip the 1000 norinco sks's though.

I have an nhm already so this is more of a backup to shoot x39 with

While 800 is a lot, I'd probably pay it. I was considering a cz 527 too. Ill skip the 1000 norinco sks's though.

I have an nhm already so this is more of a backup to shoot x39 with
Top you’d want to pay for a Norinco SKS would be $500, $550 if it comes with all the bells and whistles. I’ve seen some Yugos for $500 and I was kicking myself over buying a Norinco for $500 a couple weeks before lol

ETA: Those Norinco SKSs were like $200 10 years ago, so following along with all increases across the board the last few years $500 isn’t terrible.

Top you’d want to pay for a Norinco SKS would be $500, $550 if it comes with all the bells and whistles. I’ve seen some Yugos for $500 and I was kicking myself over buying a Norinco for $500 a couple weeks before lol
There was a sub $500 a couple weeks ago, someone got to him before me though. Im in no rush if I can find a good deal

There was a sub $500 a couple weeks ago, someone got to him before me though. Im in no rush if I can find a good deal
They’ll be popping up. I wish I had a smoking hot AK but its not in the cards at the moment and I’ve learned to really enjoy the SKS for what it is: just a durable, accurate little beater rifle.

They’ll be popping up. I wish I had a smoking hot AK but its not in the cards at the moment and I’ve learned to really enjoy the SKS for what it is: just a durable, accurate little beater rifle.
And smoother to shoot. I have both and the sks is more pleasurable to shoot. And more accurate. But an ak is an ak!

Last edited:
I traded for my SKS, a Sino-Soviet with a mismatched dust cover and graffiti-covered original wood. I love that sucker. I traded a nice Smith model 37 for it, so I'm very happy with what I've got into it. But I doubt I'll ever sell.

Back
Top Bottom