WILL YOU BE ATTENDING THE RALLY?

• I'll be there. HOORAH!

Votes: 135 66.2%
  • Nope, I can't make it.

Votes: 58 28.4%
  • I give up, not worth it anymore

Votes: 11 5.4%

• Total voters
Drummer had it nailed. You don't cheer on that you're spared this round when the secret police grabbed your neighbor in the middle of the night. You put a stop, or try your earnest to stop it, when it's happening to your neighbors, so it doesn't get to you.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

I'm not saying it won't come to a point I call it quits and move to NH, but not yet.

I'm not trying to be a dick or keep going at this, but, lets just say 15-20 years from now, it bleeds from MA over to NH and more liberal dems get voted in, and at first the pass a few laws that are, meh, but before you know it, it starts looking like MA of 1990 or so, then what do you do then? Honest question, where do you go or what do you do?

Let me give you a serious answer.

I started getting involved in gun legislative action in 1976 and can tell you that in 37 years we have WON NO GROUND in MA, not an inch . . . but we have lost by miles over that time. I went to the state house to testify (and spoke) for more than 20 years. What I learned: They glad-hand us, they don't listen to our side, they go to the "back room" with the paid lobbyists (antis all) after the public hearing and decide what will happen, they don't record our verbal testimony, they come and go/read magazines/papers/play with cell phones while we are testifying, the many (committee members) that aren't in the room when you speak will never hear what you said (I've been there when 14 of the 16 had left the room while we testified)!

My State Rep (someone I've known for >30 years and know all of his Family as well) told me that if you USMail (or hand in) written testimony, the Chairs will make copies, bundle it together and send a copy to all 16 members.

Politics in MA is a career, well paid with a great pension. Most that go into it never work a day in their lives, especially not in the "real world".

Politics in NH pays dirt (IIRC it's like $200/year for a Rep), is truly a part-time job, forces everyone of them to work in the "real world" every day to provide for their families. Whatever becomes law impacts them personally unlike in MA where they are exempt from most laws that THEY passed (in fact or in reality).

Go to a MA gun show and tell me how many politicians (people currently elected and serving) you meet?

Go to a NH gun show and do the same. I'm not even a NH resident (yet), but I've met 4 or 5 NH State Reps at gun shows and if I was an hour earlier I would have met a sitting Governor a few years ago! You can actually hold a conversation with these people, you don't have to only speak to an aide who may or may not communicate what you said to his/her boss!

It's a different world and as much as some moonbats will likely move in and try to push their agenda in NH, I seriously doubt that they will get their way anytime in the next 20-30 years as the infrastructure these moonbats want would force NH to tax everything that moves or doesn't, lives or dies . . . to death and most NH residents are smart enough and would never stand for that.

You can fight for the next 20 years in MA but you will win nothing at the ballot box or at the state house. MA is "cooked" and nothing will change in these institutions! Comm2A will chip away at the laws but the pace that might be expected thru the courts means it will likely take 30-50 years to get to where we should be in MA. Personally, I don't expect to be on this side of the grass in 30-50 years as I'm already a great deal older than most of you and I'm thankful for my age at this point as I look at where this whole country is headed!

All this said, I'll still be fighting the battles in my own way, even once I move out of MA as I still intend to keep a MA NR LTC and teach in MA.

It does suck that we are fighting to hold the status quo. That said, I am optimistic about the deregulation of pepper spray, and I am also hopeful that police chiefs will lose at least some of their discretion, though I find the ladder unlikely.

Mike

This seems to be the most active thread related to the hearing, so I will post this here:

If you are looking for studies to cite, here is one: https://malegislature.gov/Committees/188/Document/House/H46/HPAOGunTraffickAdvisory-2010-01

"Every Gun Has a Story to Tell - Gun Trafficking and Gun Violence Prevention Advisory" Jan. 2010
Authored by Reps David Linsky, Ben Swan, et al.

Read it for yourself, but my impression: Linsky (presuming he is the primary author) tries to paint a picture of gun trafficking as a source of violence. Every police dept he interviews says this is a gang problem and that more restrictions on lawful gun owners will not help.

... looking for studies to cite, here is one: https://malegislature.gov/Committees/188/Document/House/H46/HPAOGunTraffickAdvisory-2010-01

"Every Gun Has a Story to Tell - Gun Trafficking and Gun Violence Prevention Advisory" Jan. 2010 Authored by Reps David Linsky, Ben Swan, et al.

... Linsky ... tries to paint a picture of gun trafficking as a source of violence. Every police dept he interviews says this is a gang problem and that more restrictions on lawful gun owners will not help.

So, which police departments are going to get up there and testify against this? [rofl]

Let me give you a serious answer.

I started getting involved in gun legislative action in 1976 and can tell you that in 37 years we have WON NO GROUND in MA, not an inch . . . but we have lost by miles over that time. I went to the state house to testify (and spoke) for more than 20 years. What I learned: They glad-hand us, they don't listen to our side, they go to the "back room" with the paid lobbyists (antis all) after the public hearing and decide what will happen, they don't record our verbal testimony, they come and go/read magazines/papers/play with cell phones while we are testifying, the many (committee members) that aren't in the room when you speak will never hear what you said (I've been there when 14 of the 16 had left the room while we testified)!

My State Rep (someone I've known for >30 years and know all of his Family as well) told me that if you USMail (or hand in) written testimony, the Chairs will make copies, bundle it together and send a copy to all 16 members.

Politics in MA is a career, well paid with a great pension. Most that go into it never work a day in their lives, especially not in the "real world".

Politics in NH pays dirt (IIRC it's like $200/year for a Rep), is truly a part-time job, forces everyone of them to work in the "real world" every day to provide for their families. Whatever becomes law impacts them personally unlike in MA where they are exempt from most laws that THEY passed (in fact or in reality).

Go to a MA gun show and tell me how many politicians (people currently elected and serving) you meet?

Go to a NH gun show and do the same. I'm not even a NH resident (yet), but I've met 4 or 5 NH State Reps at gun shows and if I was an hour earlier I would have met a sitting Governor a few years ago! You can actually hold a conversation with these people, you don't have to only speak to an aide who may or may not communicate what you said to his/her boss!

It's a different world and as much as some moonbats will likely move in and try to push their agenda in NH, I seriously doubt that they will get their way anytime in the next 20-30 years as the infrastructure these moonbats want would force NH to tax everything that moves or doesn't, lives or dies . . . to death and most NH residents are smart enough and would never stand for that.

You can fight for the next 20 years in MA but you will win nothing at the ballot box or at the state house. MA is "cooked" and nothing will change in these institutions! Comm2A will chip away at the laws but the pace that might be expected thru the courts means it will likely take 30-50 years to get to where we should be in MA. Personally, I don't expect to be on this side of the grass in 30-50 years as I'm already a great deal older than most of you and I'm thankful for my age at this point as I look at where this whole country is headed!

All this said, I'll still be fighting the battles in my own way, even once I move out of MA as I still intend to keep a MA NR LTC and teach in MA.

Well, I can go jump from my roof now [laugh]. I dunno, I guess I'm just idealistic, maybe even to a fault, but I'm not ready to admit defeat, I'm just not and honestly, I dont know that I ever will. Foolish, I know, but this is my home, and I refuse to give up my home and let "them" win. I told my father I will die on my feet a free man before I live on my knees a slave, and that is the truest set of words ever to have flowed from my mouth.

If it means I have to go scream through a bullhorn till my lungs give out, and my face is beat red, if it means I have to beg everyone here and around the region to join me in doing the same, and if, god forbid, it means I literally have to fight for it, than so be it. I'm ok with that.

On a second topic - I'm trying to put together my thoughts right now - does anyone have a completed testimony they'd like to share? maybe put it in another thread?

OK, this is going to be long as hell, but hopefully it's helpful to others. This is not completed testimony but it is draft text that I pulled together and turned into a number of separate letters to the committee and its members. The final versions will be one letter for each bill that lists all the bills I oppose at the top, followed by "as just one example..." and then taking apart a specific bill or two, followed by a closing urging them to kill the bill in committee or vote against it and sharing with them my willingness to participate in a Colorado-style punishment at the ballot box should they fail to do so. Anyway, here's all that text mashed together. Feel free everyone to grab and use anything that might be helpful:

Dear Elected Official,

I’m writing to you today as a concerned citizen and voter to ask that you take action on a number of bills currently before the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. Specifically, the following bills will provide no improved protection of public safety for residents of the Commonwealth but will directly negatively impact me and many others I know personally as well as burdening the public with unwarranted costs to the public coffers. These bills are:

House Bill 3282 sponsored by Timothy J. Toomey, Jr
. – Should this bill become law, it will make the lawful ownership of firearms for self defense, hunting, and competitive sport unobtainable for myself and many others by pricing us out of our Constitutional rights. As most other homeowners in the Commonwealth, I maintain home owner’s insurance and umbrella insurance coverage which financially protects me and provides for financial compensation should someone be injured on or by my property should that be by a fall on my front steps, a bit from my pug, or any manner of other harm. Requiring additional liability insurance over and above this coverage simply for firearms will cost me hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars each year should there even be an insurance company willing to issue such coverage. That added expense does nothing to protect the public from criminals, it simply grows the bottom-line profits of large insurance companies and burdens law-abiding citizens. Those committing crimes with firearms will not stop to be bothered by insurance (just look at the statistics on uninsured drivers) and I don’t wish to have my rights dictated at the discretion of an insurance underwriter.

Further, it is blatantly discriminatory on its face because it ensures that only the rich can afford to exercise a Constitutional right to self defense and other benefits of firearms ownership. In this way, it is no better than the poll taxes and tests that were used to discriminate against African Americans to deny them the right and power to access the ballot box. Further language in the bill advocating for non-existent “safety” devices (such as fingerprint/voice recognition devices) on guns only makes them more expensive, further ensuring a widening gap between those wealthy enough to be able to afford their Second Amendment right and those who cannot afford it.

For these reasons, I urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

House Bill 3257 sponsored by Kevin J. Murphy – I don’t yet own ten firearms, but my wish list for my personal firearms collection certainly numbers more than ten and I know several people who own more than 10 firearms. My wife and my wallet are adequate limitations on the size of my collection. This bill’s limitation is arbitrary and capricious, set for no purpose other than that it’s a nice round number. It does nothing to improve public safety as most gun violence is committed by the career thug or gang member who not only doesn’t bother with applying for a license from the police chief, but likely only owns a single gun – the handgun he bought from the local drug dealer. All it will do is make instant criminals out of those collectors who may have a safe full of cherished family heirloom guns.

Additionally, this bill, should it be made law, is unenforceable on its face. How do you know how many guns I have or how I choose to store them? Unless the state and local police begin systematic and routine inspections of homes with no probable cause beyond “we want to check to make sure” in blatant violation of the Fourth Amendment, this bill will serve no purpose beyond a “pile on” charge against someone who has already broken multiple other laws to result in a police search of his or her home. In that case, that person is already a criminal facing other serious charges so there is no need to burden the rest of us with an arbitrary and unenforceable limitation.

For these reasons, I urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

Senate Bill 1120 sponsored by Cynthia Creem – After receiving my firearms license and before I decided on purchasing my first firearm, I went to several local ranges with gun rental programs. There, for a small fee, I was able to take one or more handguns owned by the range into their range to test fire. With the help of friends who are experienced firearms owners, this allowed me to select a first gun that “fit” me best such that I could handle and operate it safely to become proficient with it. Should Cynthia Creem’s bill have been law two years ago, I would not have been able to do that due to the restriction of one purchase/rental per 30 days. That restriction would have made my first purchase a relatively “blind” buy – just imagine buying your next car and only being allowed to test-drive one car per month first.

This illogical restriction does not protect the public from any defined danger – the Colorado movie theatre shooter only used one gun after all and most criminals don’t bother going through legal paperwork at a gun store to buy the single handgun they will use to hold up the convenience store. Instead, this bill impacts law-abiding free citizens by making it illegal for me to purchase a matched set of beautiful display pistols.

Senate Bill 1116 sponsored by Sonia Chang-Diaz – As with House Bill 3282 above, this bill would not only cost me directly in the form of additional costs for home security systems, but is blatantly discriminatory against those of lower income. By the logic of this bill, only those able to afford an expensive home security system deserve the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Beyond this discriminatory test of financial means, this bill suffers from the same problem as House Bill 3257 in that the home security provision is unenforceable without routine home searches or some form of universal records surveillance that would clearly be in violation of Fourth Amendment protections.

For this reason, I urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

House Bill 3253 sponsored by David Linsky – As most other firearms owners in the state, I am a member of a local gun club which I like very much. However, I do not like my club so much that I would trust it to keep my firearms as this bill would require. The bank robber Willie Sutton is famously credited for answering “that’s where the money is” when asked why he robbed banks. I believe that, assuming some clubs were crazy enough to take on the expense and liability risk of actually storing the private firearms of members, we would quickly see these buildings broken into by criminals looking for guns because “that’s where the guns are”. Clubs don’t have armed guards 24/7 or massive vaults like banks, they’re community gathering places that this bill would paint with a bright target for theft. Much better to have my firearms stored securely in my own home where I have control over who enters legally and protection from illegal access by not only my home security system but also the relative anonymity of looking exactly like every other house on the block without a big “come get your guns here” sign out front. In this way, not only would House Bill 3253 not do anything meaningful to increase public safety, but it could be argued, it will actually decrease public safety by making it easier for criminals to steal firearms.
This bill will do a further disservice to the people of Massachusetts by discouraging individuals from seeking professional mental health services. I personally know individuals who have accessed mental health services to successfully address issues ranging from eating disorders to grief counseling to schizophrenia. While a law mandating that people give up their medical privacy in order to exercise a Constitutional right might provide the smallest sliver of a fraction of a chance of preventing a person who should not own a firearm from acquiring one, it will certainly discourage many more people who may be helped by mental health care services from seeking it. For fear that they may lose their firearms or their ability to own firearms in the future, people that could receive help will not get it, causing much greater harm to the citizens than the vanishingly small risk supposedly avoided by this bill. The damage here would be further compounded by House Bill 3430 that would require mental health professionals to report case data to law enforcement. Further, this bill would put law enforcement personnel in the difficult situation of having to act as un-licensed and un-trained medical professionals in the sometimes very nebulous realm of mental health as they seek to interpret medical records disclosed under this provision. What chief of police wants or is able to look at medical records for two individuals both being treated for depression and make the decision that one person may be OK to own a firearm and the other not OK based on those records? All this provision does is further institutionalize the stigma and discrimination against mental illness and the mentally ill as a marginalized and disadvantaged population. Section 11 of the bill further compounds it with its insulting verbiage about an appeals hearing that boils down to “prove to us you’re not insane even though we don’t provide a clear standard of what that means”.

Though it should go without saying, I feel I must also repeat here the same objection to required insurance for firearms that I outlined above for House Bill 3282. This requirement is discriminatory and excessively burdensome and places control over my Constitutional rights into the hands of an insurance company while doing nothing to actually improve public safety. Requiring me to carry insurance doesn’t stop the thug from robbing the liquor store with a pistol and the fine for having an uninsured firearm is a meaningless threat to the thug who’s willing to shoot a store clerk to get the cash in the drawer.

To continue, I have a serious problem with Section 6 of this bill. This is a blatant money-grab that does nothing to protect the public while directly economically harming Massachusetts businesses and me as a firearms purchaser. First, criminals who use guns buy them on the black market or steal them, they don’t go to the local gun store, fill out the state paperwork, and show their state license to buy one. These are not like keeping cigarettes out of the hands of children, you can’t keep them from criminals simply by raising the price for law-abiding buyers. Instead, what this bill would do is drive business out of state. A 25% tax on firearms would make the last handgun I purchased approximately $125 more expensive and that was one of the cheaper guns I was looking at. For many gun buyers this would equate to $200 or more in increased cost. The only rational response we could expect to see from such an increase would be people driving out of state to purchase firearms to have them transferred to dealers in Massachusetts for pickup. To use my last gun as an example, I could go to my local gun store and buy it for $450 today. After this tax, I’d be shelling out $575 – much better to spend $20 in gas to drive to New Hampshire or Maine to spend $450, have them ship it to my local gun store, and pay my local gun store a $35 transfer fee. I end up paying $505 and spending a day instead of a couple hours and a local small business loses a $450 sale in exchange for a $35 transfer fee. This hurts the economy, destroys small businesses, discriminates against lower income residents of the commonwealth, and makes no one any safer today than they were last month.

Sections 17 and 23 of this bill have all of the same flaws I outlined above for Senate Bill 1120. For these reasons, I urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

House Bill 47 sponsored by Deval Patrick – This bill contains all of the same flaws, discriminatory practices, rights infringements, and failures to actually address public safety I have outlined in the previous bills above and, out of respect for your time, I will not repeat them here. I simply urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

Last edited:
OK, this is going to be long as hell, but hopefully it's helpful to others. This is not completed testimony but it is draft text that I pulled together and turned into a number of separate letters to the committee and its members. The final versions will be one letter for each bill that lists all the bills I oppose at the top, followed by "as just one example..." and then taking apart a specific bill or two, followed by a closing urging them to kill the bill in committee or vote against it and sharing with them my willingness to participate in a Colorado-style punishment at the ballot box should they fail to do so. Anyway, here's all that text mashed together. Feel free everyone to grab and use anything that might be helpful:

Dear Elected Official,

I’m writing to you today as a concerned citizen and voter to ask that you take action on a number of bills currently before the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. Specifically, the following bills will provide no improved protection of public safety for residents of the Commonwealth but will directly negatively impact me and many others I know personally as well as burdening the public with unwarranted costs to the public coffers. These bills are:

House Bill 3282 sponsored by Timothy J. Toomey, Jr
. – Should this bill become law, it will make the lawful ownership of firearms for self defense, hunting, and competitive sport unobtainable for myself and many others by pricing us out of our Constitutional rights. As most other homeowners in the Commonwealth, I maintain home owner’s insurance and umbrella insurance coverage which financially protects me and provides for financial compensation should someone be injured on or by my property should that be by a fall on my front steps, a bit from my pug, or any manner of other harm. Requiring additional liability insurance over and above this coverage simply for firearms will cost me hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars each year should there even be an insurance company willing to issue such coverage. That added expense does nothing to protect the public from criminals, it simply grows the bottom-line profits of large insurance companies and burdens law-abiding citizens. Those committing crimes with firearms will not stop to be bothered by insurance (just look at the statistics on uninsured drivers) and I don’t wish to have my rights dictated at the discretion of an insurance underwriter.

Further, it is blatantly discriminatory on its face because it ensures that only the rich can afford to exercise a Constitutional right to self defense and other benefits of firearms ownership. In this way, it is no better than the poll taxes and tests that were used to discriminate against African Americans to deny them the right and power to access the ballot box. Further language in the bill advocating for non-existent “safety” devices (such as fingerprint/voice recognition devices) on guns only makes them more expensive, further ensuring a widening gap between those wealthy enough to be able to afford their Second Amendment right and those who cannot afford it.

House Bill 3257 sponsored by Kevin J. Murphy – I don’t yet own ten firearms, but my wish list for my personal firearms collection certainly numbers more than ten and I know several people who own more than 10 firearms. My wife and my wallet are adequate limitations on the size of my collection. This bill’s limitation is arbitrary and capricious, set for no purpose other than that it’s a nice round number. It does nothing to improve public safety as most gun violence is committed by the career thug or gang member who not only doesn’t bother with applying for a license from the police chief, but likely only owns a single gun – the handgun he bought from the local drug dealer. All it will do is make instant criminals out of those collectors who may have a safe full of cherished family heirloom guns.

Additionally, this bill, should it be made law, is unenforceable on its face. How do you know how many guns I have or how I choose to store them? Unless the state and local police begin systematic and routine inspections of homes with no probable cause beyond “we want to check to make sure” in blatant violation of the Fourth Amendment, this bill will serve no purpose beyond a “pile on” charge against someone who has already broken multiple other laws to result in a police search of his or her home. In that case, that person is already a criminal facing other serious charges so there is no need to burden the rest of us with an arbitrary and unenforceable limitation.

Senate Bill 1120 sponsored by Cynthia Creem – After receiving my firearms license and before I decided on purchasing my first firearm, I went to several local ranges with gun rental programs. There, for a small fee, I was able to take one or more handguns owned by the range into their range to test fire. With the help of friends who are experienced firearms owners, this allowed me to select a first gun that “fit” me best such that I could handle and operate it safely to become proficient with it. Should Cynthia Creem’s bill have been law two years ago, I would not have been able to do that due to the restriction of one purchase/rental per 30 days. That restriction would have made my first purchase a relatively “blind” buy – just imagine buying your next car and only being allowed to test-drive one car per month first.

This illogical restriction does not protect the public from any defined danger – the Colorado movie theatre shooter only used one gun after all and most criminals don’t bother going through legal paperwork at a gun store to buy the single handgun they will use to hold up the convenience store. Instead, this bill impacts law-abiding free citizens by making it illegal for me to purchase a matched set of beautiful display pistols.

Senate Bill 1116 sponsored by Sonia Chang-Diaz – As with House Bill 3282 above, this bill would not only cost me directly in the form of additional costs for home security systems, but is blatantly discriminatory against those of lower income. By the logic of this bill, only those able to afford an expensive home security system deserve the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Beyond this discriminatory test of financial means, this bill suffers from the same problem as House Bill 3257 in that the home security provision is unenforceable without routine home searches or some form of universal records surveillance that would clearly be in violation of Fourth Amendment protections.

For this reason, I urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

House Bill 3253 sponsored by David Linsky – As most other firearms owners in the state, I am a member of a local gun club which I like very much. However, I do not like my club so much that I would trust it to keep my firearms as this bill would require. The bank robber Willie Sutton is famously credited for answering “that’s where the money is” when asked why he robbed banks. I believe that, assuming some clubs were crazy enough to take on the expense and liability risk of actually storing the private firearms of members, we would quickly see these buildings broken into by criminals looking for guns because “that’s where the guns are”. Clubs don’t have armed guards 24/7 or massive vaults like banks, they’re community gathering places that this bill would paint with a bright target for theft. Much better to have my firearms stored securely in my own home where I have control over who enters legally and protection from illegal access by not only my home security system but also the relative anonymity of looking exactly like every other house on the block without a big “come get your guns here” sign out front. In this way, not only would House Bill 3253 not do anything meaningful to increase public safety, but it could be argued, it will actually decrease public safety by making it easier for criminals to steal firearms.
This bill will do a further disservice to the people of Massachusetts by discouraging individuals from seeking professional mental health services. I personally know individuals who have accessed mental health services to successfully address issues ranging from eating disorders to grief counseling to schizophrenia. While a law mandating that people give up their medical privacy in order to exercise a Constitutional right might provide the smallest sliver of a fraction of a chance of preventing a person who should not own a firearm from acquiring one, it will certainly discourage many more people who may be helped by mental health care services from seeking it. For fear that they may lose their firearms or their ability to own firearms in the future, people that could receive help will not get it, causing much greater harm to the citizens than the vanishingly small risk supposedly avoided by this bill. The damage here would be further compounded by House Bill 3430 that would require mental health professionals to report case data to law enforcement. Further, this bill would put law enforcement personnel in the difficult situation of having to act as un-licensed and un-trained medical professionals in the sometimes very nebulous realm of mental health as they seek to interpret medical records disclosed under this provision. What chief of police wants or is able to look at medical records for two individuals both being treated for depression and make the decision that one person may be OK to own a firearm and the other not OK based on those records? All this provision does is further institutionalize the stigma and discrimination against mental illness and the mentally ill as a marginalized and disadvantaged population. Section 11 of the bill further compounds it with its insulting verbiage about an appeals hearing that boils down to “prove to us you’re not insane even though we don’t provide a clear standard of what that means”.

Though it should go without saying, I feel I must also repeat here the same objection to required insurance for firearms that I outlined above for House Bill 3282. This requirement is discriminatory and excessively burdensome and places control over my Constitutional rights into the hands of an insurance company while doing nothing to actually improve public safety. Requiring me to carry insurance doesn’t stop the thug from robbing the liquor store with a pistol and the fine for having an uninsured firearm is a meaningless threat to the thug who’s willing to shoot a store clerk to get the cash in the drawer.

To continue, I have a serious problem with Section 6 of this bill. This is a blatant money-grab that does nothing to protect the public while directly economically harming Massachusetts businesses and me as a firearms purchaser. First, criminals who use guns buy them on the black market or steal them, they don’t go to the local gun store, fill out the state paperwork, and show their state license to buy one. These are not like keeping cigarettes out of the hands of children, you can’t keep them from criminals simply by raising the price for law-abiding buyers. Instead, what this bill would do is drive business out of state. A 25% tax on firearms would make the last handgun I purchased approximately $125 more expensive and that was one of the cheaper guns I was looking at. For many gun buyers this would equate to $200 or more in increased cost. The only rational response we could expect to see from such an increase would be people driving out of state to purchase firearms to have them transferred to dealers in Massachusetts for pickup. To use my last gun as an example, I could go to my local gun store and buy it for $450 today. After this tax, I’d be shelling out $575 – much better to spend $20 in gas to drive to New Hampshire or Maine to spend $450, have them ship it to my local gun store, and pay my local gun store a $35 transfer fee. I end up paying $505 and spending a day instead of a couple hours and a local small business loses a $450 sale in exchange for a $35 transfer fee. This hurts the economy, destroys small businesses, discriminates against lower income residents of the commonwealth, and makes no one any safer today than they were last month.

Sections 17 and 23 of this bill have all of the same flaws I outlined above for Senate Bill 1120. For these reasons, I urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

House Bill 47 sponsored by Deval Patrick – This bill contains all of the same flaws, discriminatory practices, rights infringements, and failures to actually address public safety I have outlined in the previous bills above and, out of respect for your time, I will not repeat them here. I simply urge you to oppose this bill in committee and, should it make it out of committee, vote against it so that it does not become law.

Very well written

morning bump. by the way, Im going in super early, or so that's my goal -- where is the best place to park nearest the state house?

I've parked in the Boston Common garage before. That was on a weekend though, I don't know what the situation will be on a Friday morning.

Sorry if this has been covered... I didn't read the entire thread.

I'm assuming we should dress fairly nice tomorrow? I'd love to wear my "come and take it" shirt but I'm guessing I'll end up being portrayed on the 6pm news as a typical gun nut.

I haven't prepared any testimony and don't plan on speaking. Should I go into the state house anyway? If space is limited, I'd rather leave room for those who are testifying. I'd like to hear some of the testimony but I'd also like to exercise my second amendment right. Obviously I can't do both.

Sorry if this has been covered... I didn't read the entire thread.

I'm assuming we should dress fairly nice tomorrow? I'd love to wear my "come and take it" shirt but I'm guessing I'll end up being portrayed on the 6pm news as a typical gun nut.

I haven't prepared any testimony and don't plan on speaking. Should I go into the state house anyway? If space is limited, I'd rather leave room for those who are testifying. I'd like to hear some of the testimony but I'd also like to exercise my second amendment right. Obviously I can't do both.

First, yes please dress nicely. The media will do all they can to sensationalize by making you look like an irrational 'gun nut' so don't help them by dressing in camo or 'come and take it' shirts and such.

Second, defknitely come. Speakers are important, but showing the politicians a room full of voters who oppose these things enough to give up a Friday is just as important. They do the cold political math on how many votes are represented and standing room only for an obscure committee hearing on a weekday starts to look like a threat to their reelection chances. Written comments are even stronger.

yep. dress well. I'll be in a suit, carrying a briefcase.

professional or as close to neatly professional as humanly possible. remember, as much as the state house is our house, its their turf and they know how to spin any sort of appearance.

the moms demand action crowd will be there - Ive already seen blogs suggesting they won't "be intimidated by a small but vocal minority" of gun owners. I know its going to be hard, but try to play nice in the face of moonbattery the media will doubtlessly portray as wholesome mothers doing wholesome motherly things.

Why can't people just wear what they normally wear, 'professional' attire or otherwise? They need to know they serve a diverse group of people who are pro civil rights, not just those who dress up and pander to their notion of who is deemed 'acceptable' in their eyes. They need to see guys and gals in jeans, shorts, hoodies, suits, Dickies, etc. unified for a cause.

Yeah I'm not going suit and tie. I'm just going to dress presentable.

Does anyone know the capacity of the hearing? I understand we want a large presence inside.. However, I'm not testifying and I'd rather carry if I'm going to be forced to stay outside because there are only XX seats inside. Either way I'll be there all day.

Yeah I'm not going suit and tie. I'm just going to dress presentable.

Does anyone know the capacity of the hearing? I understand we want a large presence inside.. However, I'm not testifying and I'd rather carry if I'm going to be forced to stay outside because there are only XX seats inside. Either way I'll be there all day.

If it is like the Springfield hearing, everyone that signs up to speak, will have a chance to be heard. We couldn't get into the building until after 11am there, but still signed up to speak. The last speaker there was at 5pm. Naughton made a comment that he could go to 10 pm on his water and powerbars, so I assume that the Boston hearing will be the same.

Why can't people just wear what they normally wear, 'professional' attire or otherwise? They need to know they serve a diverse group of people who are pro civil rights, not just those who dress up and pander to their notion of who is deemed 'acceptable' in their eyes. They need to see guys and gals in jeans, shorts, hoodies, suits, Dickies, etc. unified for a cause.

I agree. Why do people need to pretend they're something that they are not?? Wear what you normally wear.

Well, I can go jump from my roof now [laugh]. I dunno, I guess I'm just idealistic, maybe even to a fault, but I'm not ready to admit defeat, I'm just not and honestly, I dont know that I ever will. Foolish, I know, but this is my home, and I refuse to give up my home and let "them" win. I told my father I will die on my feet a free man before I live on my knees a slave, and that is the truest set of words ever to have flowed from my mouth.

If it means I have to go scream through a bullhorn till my lungs give out, and my face is beat red, if it means I have to beg everyone here and around the region to join me in doing the same, and if, god forbid, it means I literally have to fight for it, than so be it. I'm ok with that.

[thumbsup]

I agree. Why do people need to pretend they're something that they are not?? Wear what you normally wear.

It's just a manner of etiquette and manners. You're in the statehouse giving testimony, don't show up in stained ripped jeans and a wife beater if you just intend to stay out front then sure where whatever you want to wear.

Dress the way you want. In the past if we showed up in suits "its the mob" show up in a flannel (it was cold out) "look at all the Fudds"
So your damned if you do damned if you don't. Just dress comfortable and be prepared to stand.

It's just a manner of etiquette and manners. You're in the statehouse giving testimony, don't show up in stained ripped jeans and a wife beater if you just intend to stay out front then sure where whatever you want to wear.

I think the whole 'common sense' stuff comes into play here.

- - - Updated - - -

If Massachusetts passes any bills due to what you're wearing, then you've already lost. Give me a break.

aye aye it should have been a suggestion.
Of course it's a suggestion, and nothing you said was wrong.

Show up in a ****ing clown suit for all I care, just realize this (emphasis added):
yep. dress well. I'll be in a suit, carrying a briefcase.

professional or as close to neatly professional as humanly possible. remember, as much as the state house is our house, its their turf and they know how to spin any sort of appearance.

You can show up in whatever you want, just realize that you won't be effective if you can be marginalized. And dressing unprofessionally allows you to be more easily marginalized.

If you can't or won't understand that, show up anyway.

With that done, let's try to get this thread re-focused on timing, presentation, etc., please.

Is anyone planning on pointing out how most (if not all) of the 'anti' groups that show up to these hearings have no clue as to what is already law in Ma? They seem to be pushing for stuff that can only be done on the fed level and that is more or less already on the books in this hellhole in one way or another.

I'm coming in late to the discussion but I'm asking myself, "What would the opposition wear and what would they act like if they were among us and wanted us to look bad?"

I'll wear what I will feel comfortable wearing to the hearing and I'll act in a way that would make a liberty loving American proud.

Back
Top Bottom