All you 1911 folks out there...

I'm confused. It's listed as WW2, but then it says the condition is new in box. Is it a repro, or was in made for WW2 and never issued??? If it's a 1911-A1 - made for WW2 and never been issued, then I would say hell yes, that's a good price! Is it on the EOPS list?

See, that's why I named it what I did.

I don't know that much about 1911s, so I figured that I would post it.

It seems that Eldon has several of these, so I'm thinking that they are new. I hear that Springfield 1911s are sought after. So I figured that I would see what you guys have to say.

C-pher - can you email as ask them if it's a REAL WW2 era 1911? Or, is it brand new?

It seems to me, from what I've seen of 1911 prices, that if it's 60 years old, it would be closer to $1000 as it looks like it just came off the line. I don't own one, but I've drooled over enough of them. :D

That "Springfield Armory" didn't exist in WWII! SA is "now" located in IL and is NOT the same as the Springfield Armory in Springfield MA (that did build guns for WWII and is now nothing more than a museum).

This is a new SA 1911 in a configuration like the WWII vintage guns.

From what I've seen of the SA guns, this is about average price.

If it truly is in WWII style, it will never pass the EOPS and AG requirements, so unless it is currently in-state, it's a no-go.

I don't know much about that gun; I don't think it is Ma Compliant though. But I believe if it is true military spec then you should be able to put any Colt 1911 parts or military spec 1911 parts on it.

This is a "NEW" gun made with the same features as a GI spec WWII issued 1911. The 4 inch gun was never made in WWII. This gun is also not Mass legal. None of the Springfields are. I have spoken to Springfield in the past and they are not interested in making there guns Mass compliant. THey could esily with the main spring lock they sell, but they won't on principal. Greg

As Greg pointed out, you can't buy it in MA. While it is listed as WWII Milspec, it isn't. It's a 4" barrel and a milspec WWII model would be 5".

It has the old style thumb safety and grip safety, and old style sights.

Personally, I much prefer an extended thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, and modern sights. If you want a M1911, I'd get a S&W 1911 long before I'd get one of these.

YMMV.

It's definitely a repro.

I personally think the price looks a little high, considering what 1911A1's can be had for. You definitely can build a MIL-Spec 1911A1 for that.

I like them pretty much original, except for match sights.

So, what you guys are all saying, is don't get excited about these. I think that he's got like 5 of them. So I don't know how it got them, but that doesn't matter as they are not that good.

Cool, thanks. As I don't know that much about 1911s, I figured that I would bring this up to you guys first.

As others have suggested, Springfield Armory in Illinois has nothing whatever to do with the former government arsenal at Springfield.
The pistol in question is a recently manufactured commercial arm. The firm may feel justified in calling it "GI" or "Spec" because some of the parts are made to original specifications, but it is NOT a reproduction of the M1911 or the M1911A1, since the barrel is too short.
The Champion is similar to the four-inch barrelled Colt Commander, also a commercial pistol.
JT

$400 would be a decent price, and then I'd recommend it.

Watch out for the Gun Auctions, like GunBroker and GunsAmerica. The prices are way high for stuff. Do your homework, know what the real prices are, and shop wisely.

LenS said:
That "Springfield Armory" didn't exist in WWII! SA is "now" located in IL and is NOT the same as the Springfield Armory in Springfield MA (that did build guns for WWII and is now nothing more than a museum).

Thanks Len - I didn't know that. I'm not up on the history part of companies. :D

Yup, repro like the others said. Whilst I was looking at 1911's, I found the best deal out there (I think) is the AutoOrdnance 1911a1. I just got one and it's a great gun. They did vary from the true WW2 version in that it has a 'series 80' firing pin block, in order to make it Mass compliant. It is really close to original except for that and will take other milspec parts if you want to change things out.

I've put a cuppla hundred rounds thru mine flawlessly.

Look at one, you'll love it.

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_1911pkz_f.html

1911a1.jpg

And, since I've carried issued 1911A1's, I can tell you the Auto-Ordnance looks more like an issue 1911A1 than the Springfield does. I've NEVER seen "US" markings on the grips of an authentic 1911 or 1911A1.

The Auto Ordinance looks very GI. Even the thumb safety is correct. If you are looking for the differences to the 1911- there are three main changes. The MSH is flat in the 1911. The grip safety is much shorter. And it lacks a relief cut for the trigger finger. Greg

Greg Derr said:
The Auto Ordinance looks very GI. Even the thumb safety is correct. If you are looking for the differences to the 1911- there are three main changes. The MSH is flat in the 1911. The grip safety is much shorter. And it lacks a relief cut for the trigger finger. Greg

The AO is a replica of a 1911A1, and those 3 features are correct for the 1911A1, but NOT the 1911.

Yoy might want to give Collectors a call. The website says that they have two 1911s and 2 1911a1's. The website does not list a price though.

Back
Top Bottom