All you 1911 folks out there...

They are good, especially for the price right?
You asking about Kahr's or AutoOrdnance 1911s? Kahrs, yes they are excellent guns. I've got 3 - K9, K40, and MK9. AutoOrdnance? No opinion. I've never held or shot one.

I will say that I'm not a fan of the old milspec style 1911s for shooting. I like:

- beavertail safeties -- the old style bites the web of my hand
- extended thumb safeties -- the old style is harder to reach and harder to ride with your thumb
- higher profile sights -- the old style sites are too hard for my tired old eyes to see.

In other words, I like something closer to a Kimber series I. YMMV.

The old style 1911s sure are purty, but I just can't shoot them worth a darn.

Kahr acquired Auto-Ordnance in 2000 or thereabouts I believe, and the 1911A1's are made at the Kahr factory in Worcester. As indicated in another thread, I purchased one on Monday and will give a report on my experiences with it, once I have had the opportunity to fire it.

It seems to be a well-made gun...but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak and I will reserve judgement until I have shot it.

Mark

I bought an AO/Thompson 1911, several years ago, before Kahr took over production.
I wanted only the frame & slide to build a target gun. Good thing too, ALL of the small parts were seriously out of tolerance and will not fit any other 1911 frame. All of the parts that I replaced required some greater or lesser amout of hand fitting to function.
The result, after much fitting, is a "mouse" gun that fires 185gr.swc's at about 650fps, flawlessly. Recoil is non-existant & I can fire as fast as I can squeeze the trigger because the sights never leave the target.
Sadly, steel plate shooting in central MA pretty much ended shortly after I completed the gun.
I would hope that Kahr has reintroduced the concept of tolerances and interchangeable parts to their current production.

As in a previous posting in this thread, I bought the AO 1911a1 , military version and I think it is a fine piece. I don't have any other 1911's to try and swap parts to it but it sure looks good to me. The fit and finish is great and I've fired 200 rounds thru it flawlessly now.

I also have a AO Thompson M1927a1 made when AO was owned by Numrich and it too is a very well made peice.

Numrich sold AO to Kahr a few years ago and Kahr apparently has made some major changes to their methods of manufacturing and quality control. Their pricing used to be bottom dollar and now it's getting up with the other major players, so I'd guess that their mfg costs for that quality are being reflected in their pricing.

Do a google on autoordnance and there are several magazine articles about the gun and the company and it's commitment to quality. I think you'll be pleased.

Don't use comments based on the 'old' company to bias yourself about the products they have now.

Back
Top Bottom