• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ankle holster yes,no,maybe?

I have thinking about an ankle holster as a concealed carry option most likely a Shield. Any suggestions on a manufacturer. I bought a Taurusino custom ankle holster about fifteen years ago for a Colt Mustang it has served me well but not as comfortable as I was hoping for. It is all leather with a fleece lining. There has to be a better option today.

I have carried my Sig P229 in a Galco Ankle Glove and my Shield in a DeSantis Die Hard. Both are a neoprene strap with a comfortable furlike backing at the point where the leather holster attaches to the outside of the strap (at the inner ankle). Both also have a quality, snap-type, thumb break, not a cheap, unsecure, velcro thumb break.

Both also accept a calf strap, but with something as small and lightweight as a Shield, you probably won't need it.

I highly recommend both. They are pretty much exactly the same thing.

Galco ankle is phenomenal. Quality is high. Very comfy. Forget its even there.

I wear boots every day, very rare that I’d wear a low quarter type shoe so I go with a “boot wrap” ankle holster for my back up.

Made by Daltech Gear. The quality, sewing and fit are very good and very comfortable. There is no padding because it wraps around the outside of the boot so it’s not needed.

Also comes with a spare mag pouch sewn into it.

I emailed them to ask for a second mag pouch, told me no problem and no charge, sewed it right in for me.

Fits my LCP II perfectly and allows 2 spare mags.

At times I’ve used the pouches for spare primary carry mags as well as they stretch to fit and have Velcro straps to secure them.

CA463C8A-F049-4BA6-B7F2-AF83955B3601.jpeg 655621DD-2B73-48A7-A8EE-CC2D1D269E6F.jpeg

DeSantis Apache. I crank it nice and tight, and never have issues even when jogging lightly. They’re cheap enough that I buy a new one every couple years or so. The only time they ever have a problem is when I’m kicking snow off my shoes before I go into my house.

I carry a P938 in there, FWIW, and the retention strap has never been necessary. The snubbie version rides higher, though.

Tried a Fobus ankle holster awhile back; didn’t like it. I couldn’t get it tight enough.

Ditto on the Galco Ankle Glove. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I have 3 of them.

Galco Ankle Glove when/if I can't carry strong side at 4:00. Sometimes I just have to Ankle carry because I know I can't IWB carry and its better than not ccw. Not the best draw option but at least you have a weapon at your disposal. Galco is comfortable, secure and feels like you're not carrying a chunk of iron on your ankle. I ccw a P938 almost daily for a point of reference. A quality rig, not cheap but worth the money if that's your only option - IMO.

Last edited:
Lady Radtekk and I have the bug bite. Holds a shield, glock26, haven't tried it with her xD-S compact 9 or my xD45 mod.2 subcompact yet but I'm sure they'll fit. One thing I didn't see mentioned above is that the Bugbite comes in sizes, it's NOT one size fits all...

And yes, I prefer it to the other "gloves" mentioned above, and I wear sneakers, cowboy and combat-style boots depending on the activity.

I've got the bug bite also but it didn't work for me with a J frame. I could feel the cylinder in my leg which made it uncomfortable.

It seems like the cuff of my pants would ride up and expose the holster after a while. Has anyone found this to be an issue, particularly when wearing jeans?
I've not had a problem with this happening but when you sit the pants do come up so make sure your pant legs are long enough that they don't come up too high. I imagine that just like with IWB there could be a situation where the shirt may ride up enough to expose your arm but with ankle carry i'd say it is much less likely to occur with pants.

I’ve used a BUGBite holster for a G42 with spare mag and It felt like it wasn’t even there after 10 minutes.

You have to have the perfect calf/ankle proportions for a bug bite. I have larger than average, muscular calves and I have to wear it way up on my calf for it not to slide down. If I wear it that high it’s virtualky impossible to pull the pant leg up to get the gun out. If it slides down then it’s too loose to wear effectively. I also don’t like the Velcro strap because the gun can get snagged on it.

I have a basic Velcro w the faux fur inline pad that works ok for my Sig 938. I can’t carry anything much bigger than that and get my pant leg over it comfortably. I also only wear it situationally. I wear dress pants to work w shirt tucked in. I pocket carry to/from work and if I need to go out for a meeting where I won’t be wearing a jacket or other cover garment I’ll put it on the ankle, otherwise it stays in a pop out safe drawer (unlocked) on the underside of my desk.

It seems like the cuff of my pants would ride up and expose the holster after a while. Has anyone found this to be an issue, particularly when wearing jeans?

Never when wearing jeans although I rarely ankle carry w jeans; I went to two wakes in the past few weeks and when I kneeled down in front of the caskets, dress pants rode up a little and had to adjust when I stood up.

I say no.

75% of you have chronic back pain on a good day. Imagine trying to draw under stress. Bend down, roll up pants, draw weapon, stand back up. I don't need to do the hokey pokey when I'm being shot at.

I agree, it’s a last resort carry option for me. The places I ankle carry are where I expect I’ll hear the active shooter situation happening before it approaches me, pretty much always in an away office setting. Places where I really have no other carry option. If I’m out in public it’s either in my pocket or IWB.

Last edited:
I say no.

75% of you have chronic back pain on a good day. Imagine trying to draw under stress. Bend down, roll up pants, draw weapon, stand back up. I don't need to do the hokey pokey when I'm being shot at.

Agree, I think ankle carry is "for the birds".

I can't even stand boots with that padded circulation restriction on the top of them, let alone deliberately strap a tight holster around my ankle.

I'd armpit carry a stainless gun before ankle carrying.

Agree, I think ankle carry is "for the birds".

I'd armpit carry a stainless gun before ankle carrying.

So would I, if I could figure out how to conceal an armpit rig while I’m wearing a golf shirt tucked in to kakhis

Back
Top Bottom