• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I need to get an AK now? Yes, yes I do! But…

Rockrivr1

NES Member
What AK should I be getting? Look, with the new ban coming I’m thinking it’s time to get an AK in my collection. I have a really crappy SAR-1 with awful trigger slap. So thinking it’s time to get something else.

I see the Holy Grail Polytechs in the classifieds but that is too rich for my blood. With that said what are some good ones to look for that are not $4-5000?

Yes, I know. I’ve waited too long. It is what it is.

Thanks

Screw an AK.
Saiga 308… BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!

ETA: My 308 had miserable trigger slap in its import configuration. All was resolved with converting it to proper pistol grip configuration.

Last edited:
What AK should I be getting? Look, with the new ban coming I’m thinking it’s time to get an AK in my collection. I have a really crappy SAR-1 with awful trigger slap. So thinking it’s time to get something else.

I see the Holy Grail Polytechs in the classifieds but that is too rich for my blood. With that said what are some good ones to look for that are not $4-5000?

Yes, I know. I’ve waited too long. It is what it is.

Thanks
Romanian SARs are f***in awesome, you take that back right now.

In order:

1) Russian AK
2) Egyptian AK
3) Hungarian/Romanian/Bulgarian/Polish AK
4) Chinese AK
5) Yugo AK
6) VZ-58
7) SKS
8) a papercut in the dickhole
9) death
10) a US-made AK

2D3B18BA-07F1-4CD1-86EE-D1A72CF59D1A.jpeg

Last edited:

In order:

1) Russian AK
2) Egyptian AK
4) Chinese AK
5) Yugo AK
6) VZ-58
7) SKS
9) death
10) a US-made AK

View attachment 855487

IMO Maadis are way lower on the list. They are a legit military factory made and accurate AKM, but the overall quality, fitment, and finish is notably lower than a Hungarian or Chinese AK. Even the actual Yugo ones (those imported by Zastava and Mitchell, made in Kragujevac).

Man, Hungarians and Chinese guns have WAY WAY WAY better fit n finish than Maadis. Not even a competition. I love Maadis but no way

And Romanian AKs like SARs, etc are lower IMO as well due to similar reasons, Bulgarian and Hungarian guns are way nicer than them in almost every aspect. Yes, avoid US made AKs in general while we have imported options from actual military arms factories of countries who field the AKs.

Not to say the Maadi or Romanian aren't legit and just as reliable, just not as "nice." I'd use them in a military or SHTF application myself.

Last edited:

In order:

1) Russian AK
2) Egyptian AK
4) Chinese AK
5) Yugo AK
6) VZ-58
7) SKS
9) death
10) a US-made AK

View attachment 855487
Fail...

Bulgarian AK's are right there alongside Polytech Legends and should be number 1.

Russian AK's are desirable because of the rarity, they are below the Egyptians.

Castrate yourself now!

Fail...

Bulgarian AK's are right there alongside Polytech Legends.
It's splitting hairs but for a "safe queen" purpose, the Polytechs do have a bit of a nicer and better QC'd finish with the bluing and all, as compared to the Bulgarian SAM7 which is a black paint basically. Both are absolutely phenomenal AKs though of high quality.

I'd personally take a milled new production Bulgarian AK though, they are cheaper but similarly excellent. Because they are in current production and not collector items like PolyTechs

It's splitting hairs but for a "safe queen" purpose, the Polytechs do have a bit of a nicer and better QC'd finish with the bluing and all, as compared to the Bulgarian SAM7 which is a black paint basically. Both are absolutely phenomenal AKs though of high quality.

I'd personally take a milled new production Bulgarian AK though, they are cheaper but similarly excellent. Because they are in current production and not collector items like PolyTechs
I am judging purely on accuracy and reliability.

Some of the early Bulgarians had a shit paint job but shot great.

IMO of course :)

It's like asking what is the best gun for EDC, opinions vary widely.
True. Which is why I'd avoid YouTube and reddit "reviews" of AKs cuz it's a lot of guys on their computer or behind a camera who are like

"Hello reddit I love my PSA AK with Romanian DONG (lol dong!) it's extremely reliable, accurate and amazing. I shot a total of 2 mags at my indoor range at 10 yards. Stay tuned for my lil communist revolutionary Che Guevera catboy cosplay photos"

and look like

1709082820040.jpeg

Im not some pro AK operator myself but some of these guys are just ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom