Anyone get a Fire permit for ammo storage in New Bedford?

btnh6668

NES Member
Been wanting to get it but am concerned it may be bringing unnecessary attention to me. New Bedford is not the most gun friendly local. Any opinions on the matter? If anyone has one in New Bedford who did you talk to exactly and where?

i'm in NB, i haven't applied for an ammo storage permit....
i stay under the limits....

if you go for it, let me know how it works out...

I've got one. You get it from the Fire Dept not the PD. And if I'm correct it lets you store ammunition and components without keeping them under lock and key.

Everyone cares about the powder and crap that you store... No one at the FD cares about where your gun vault is located... So that [in the horrible event] they have to go into your burning house they know where it is located so the f*****g thing will not come crashing through the floor above and pancaking one of them...

Just saying... Why bring scrutiny onto ones self...

I've got one. You get it from the Fire Dept not the PD. And if I'm correct it lets you store ammunition and components without keeping them under lock and key.

My intention is to store more than 10,000 w/o any concerns. If a fire does occur and someone is hurt because of the ammunition and it is found i was above the legal limit not only will it probably negate my insurance i will probably be facing charges as well. None the less i was concerned that getting such a permit in New Bedford would arise suspicion as to why one would want to store that much ammo. Had i lived in the suburbs i would get the permit with no hesitation.

Tinfoil is a bit tight in this thread!

Getting your LTC renewed should be as easy as getting a powder/ammo permit from your fire chief. I've had mine since the mid-1970s, never an issue and we've had 3 fire chiefs in that time period.

Tinfoil is a bit tight in this thread!

Getting your LTC renewed should be as easy as getting a powder/ammo permit from your fire chief. I've had mine since the mid-1970s, never an issue and we've had 3 fire chiefs in that time period.

yeh, but he's concerned about New Bedford.... moonbat and welfare mother central....

yeh, but he's concerned about New Bedford.... moonbat and welfare mother central....

This. Like i said if i was in the burbs i wouldn't hesitate. Me being in New Bedford is why the question was asked. Thanks for those who responded with constructive info.

on another note, which nes'r from new bedford drives a navy blue civic with an ar15northeastshooters sticker on their rear window? i was driving behind you today. I think NES needs some sort of code wave lol

As Knob Creek posted, it's issued by the Fire Prevention bureau of the FD, not the PD. When I lived in NB, I had one... though I had to educate the FD about the CMRs. They tried to restrict the permit, but because I was not in a multi-dwelling unit, they can not, at least the CMR's doesn't say they can. After I brought a copy of the CMR (their copy was really, really old) and discussed it with the bureau head over his lunch break, he updated their documentation and re-issued it 'per the CMR'. No big deal, decent guy once he understood I knew what I was there for. That was about 10 years ago.

As Knob Creek posted, it's issued by the Fire Prevention bureau of the FD, not the PD. When I lived in NB, I had one... though I had to educate the FD about the CMRs. They tried to restrict the permit, but because I was not in a multi-dwelling unit, they can not, at least the CMR's doesn't say they can. After I brought a copy of the CMR (their copy was really, really old) and discussed it with the bureau head over his lunch break, he updated their documentation and re-issued it 'per the CMR'. No big deal, decent guy once he understood I knew what I was there for. That was about 10 years ago.

Which station did you go to?

Fee will vary from town to town. It should be the same as getting a permit for an oil tank/burner installation or a burn permit. My town charges $10 for 2 years, but I understand that they are upping all the FD fees but I don't know what it will be next time around.

If you have 30000 rounds i would get that permit asap you never know what could bring it into question better safe then sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

5. Any person who has applied for or has been issued such a permit or a renewal thereof by the marshal, under 527 CMR 13.04(3)(b), shall be deemed to have consented to periodic administrative inspections by the Marshal or his designees of any building, structure, magazine or facility used to store or manufacture such explosive materials and all records relating thereto.

Anyone with one of these permits ever had to deal with an inspection? That's the only thing that's deterring me away from going down and getting one.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have 30000 rounds i would get that permit asap you never know what could bring it into question better safe then sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My intentions are to bring the majority of it to my house in Maine. I just haven't got around to it yet, more or less to lazy to lug it up.

I got one from the last town I was in...

I guess after being were I live now for 25 years or so I should get one in this town [wink]

I wasn't charged for it back when I got it, that may have changed from 30 years ago... [smile]

You still need to keep the stuff locked up from what I understand, the permit does not allow you to keep it unlocked as stated earlier (or at least that's how I understand the law)...

Fee will vary from town to town. It should be the same as getting a permit for an oil tank/burner installation or a burn permit. My town charges $10 for 2 years, but I understand that they are upping all the FD fees but I don't know what it will be next time around.

When I got mine from Walpole about 4 years ago they said $10, I asked "a year?" they said "no, lifetime" No one had ever asked for one before and when to FD Chief told the C.O.P. about it he had a fit, so the FD told him that a gun owner can store 10,000 rounds without a permit and he got really upset "no one needs that much ammo"

Personally I agree, no one needs 10,000 rounds, we need way more! [rofl]

Who is going to count 10,000 plus items? Just sayin.......

Your insurance company when they try not to pay the claim on your house that just burnt down because the FD wouldn't go near it once rounds started cooking off.

Then the Fire Marshall might start counting before you are charged with not having a permit, and if it happens, I bet your COP might get funny about it and revoke or not renew your LTC.

IANAL and YMMV

5. Any person who has applied for or has been issued such a permit or a renewal thereof by the marshal, under 527 CMR 13.04(3)(b), shall be deemed to have consented to periodic administrative inspections by the Marshal or his designees of any building, structure, magazine or facility used to store or manufacture such explosive materials and all records relating thereto.

Anyone with one of these permits ever had to deal with an inspection? That's the only thing that's deterring me away from going down and getting one.

Read it again carefully!

(1) - Exempt from permit.
(2) - Storage by permit.
(3) - COMMERCIAL STORAGE!

There is no such inspection provision for those of us who are NOT running a commercial ammo/powder storage facility. I've had my permit for >30 years, never been inspected or questioned other than where is the stuff stored so in case of fire they can locate area and try to keep it cool.

When I got mine from Walpole about 4 years ago they said $10, I asked "a year?" they said "no, lifetime" No one had ever asked for one before and when to FD Chief told the C.O.P. about it he had a fit, so the FD told him that a gun owner can store 10,000 rounds without a permit and he got really upset "no one needs that much ammo"

Personally I agree, no one needs 10,000 rounds, we need way more! [rofl]

My permit for many years were co-terminus with my LTC (5 yrs back then) and cost $0.00. Eventually they changed to 2 years at $0.00, and then increased the fee to $10.00.

You realize that most of us have much more than any PD in the area. I'd be shocked if the local PDs in the area had >2-3K ammo on hand (unless a qualification is coming up).

Your insurance company when they try not to pay the claim on your house that just burnt down because the FD wouldn't go near it once rounds started cooking off.

Then the Fire Marshall might start counting before you are charged with not having a permit, and if it happens, I bet your COP might get funny about it and revoke or not renew your LTC.

IANAL and YMMV

After a fire happens.... Hey How many rounds did you have in there... "Well fire or police or insurance person.. I had 9999"

The insurance company will NOT be "asking" you, they will be investigating along with the State Fire Marshal's Office. There was a house fire near me during the day and the owners were not home. I know the guy that lives there and was shocked when he told me that the State Fire Marshal's Office with an accelerant sniffing dog and his insurance company all sent investigators to check out the cause (air purifier under the bed). NOTE: He had a cat (perished in the fire) and I'll bet fur balls and dust in the unit contributed to it catching fire. I know that I can't get our Hoover vac beater-bar head under the bed (the iRobot was good for that but batteries die much too quickly . . . as in quit holding a charge).

Back
Top Bottom