• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone get a Fire permit for ammo storage in New Bedford?

For those of you worried about asking the FD for a storage permit probably the easiest answer is to tell them you reload. Since most stores sell primers in boxes of 1000 (when you can find them and yes I know you can always buy them 100 at a time) jus tell them you want to reload 2 calibers whcihc means yo will be over the 1000 primer limit most of the time depending on when you get a chance to reload. Telling them this versus telling them you want 10K rounds for every gun you own souds a lot less 'nutty' to those not into guns.

Please donate to my team. See my signature.

IIRC, 527 CMR 13 leaves out the "locked" requirement for permitted storage, whereas locking it up is clearly required for the exempt storage. Fyi, under "purpose" on the permit application, I just attached the relevant page from the CMR that says the max limits allowed by permitted storage and stated on the app that the purpose was to possess small arms ammo, powder and primers up to the limits in the attached CMR.

I've got one. You get it from the Fire Dept not the PD. And if I'm correct it lets you store ammunition and components without keeping them under lock and key.

Incorrect

CMR 527 Section 13.04 states that "ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

I know that over 1000 primers is a problem, but you can have up to 10k rounds of centerfire ammo. At what point does it change from the 1k to 10k limit? When it's fully loaded ammo -or- once you start putting the primer into brass?

For instance, could I have 5k pieces of primed brass in my cabinet as long as I don't go over the 10K total without the permit?

CMR 527 Section 13.04 states that "ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

The above is 13.04(1) to be precise, which is for exempted storage (i.e., no permit necessary), and it starts with "Exempted quantities of small arms ammunition, ....shall be stored in...".

Oddly enough, 13.04(2), which is for storage with a permit, does not contain the same language.

We have a similar thing in my town / by lawe in my town. It's issued by the fire chief and the intent is for safety of firstresponders. Its not specif to an actual round count but more so for powder. Anything over 3 pounds of any black powder or Pyradex or smokeless powder. I am a loader so I stocked up on allot of componets wellbefore the craze actually normal routine for me to have more primers powder brass and projectiles than I know what to do with.

Roger that. Looking at mine right now cause its pretty old and it does refrence CMR 527/13.04 and does indicate "storage permit". I do not believe I have near 100,000 YET. I do store it all in fire retardent OSHA approved cabinets, those ugly yellow ones.

Too bad that the storage info on that site is wrong! [thinking]

oooo... dis gon be good

[popcorn]

(waiting for EddieCoyle to see that)

I could care less. Wrong is wrong no matter who it is and he's one person I will not deal with nor respond to!

We have a similar thing in my town / by lawe in my town. It's issued by the fire chief and the intent is for safety of firstresponders. Its not specif to an actual round count but more so for powder. Anything over 3 pounds of any black powder or Pyradex or smokeless powder. I am a loader so I stocked up on allot of componets wellbefore the craze actually normal routine for me to have more primers powder brass and projectiles than I know what to do with.

If you are in MA, it is "administrative law" (the category that CMRs fall under). Don't know if cities/towns have authority to further restrict what's in the CMR but I'm certain they can't be more lenient. And the CMR in question definitely involves quantities of ammo, primers and powder.

I'm interested in know what is incorrect. Should we go to the direct Mass law link? Is the info on the previous link outdated?

Yes, go to 527 CMR 13.04 and read both (1) and (2) and see what is distinctively different other than quantities. It's not a matter of outdated TTBOMK, it's been this way for a very long time.

There's no way in hell I would announce I have over 10k in ammo. If you do, keep it quiet. It's very valuable and some retread at fire dept may spread word cause their antigun.

Permit in my town was $29 for lifetime. It is up to fire department how much for how long.

There's no way in hell I would announce I have over 10k in ammo. If you do, keep it quiet. It's very valuable and some retread at fire dept may spread word cause their antigun.

Hahaa. Its none of my towns business how much ammo I have.

Then why bother having homeowners insurance? Unless you just happen to be sitting on an extra million dollars. If your house burns down and you have a large amount of ammo or reloading components, they will deny the claim. And I think there is a far great risk that your firearms would be stolen than your ammo. I also know every Fire Fighter and Cop in my town by name and know many of their families. I am not saying that it could never happen, but it is a risk versus gain thing. Risk = loosing everything you have because you are afraid that your fire department employs retarded crack heads. Gain = you save 20 bucks and you may get to watch you friendly neighborhood Firefighter blown to pieces, but whatever, you are a grown up, do what you want

The exemption section of the CMR states the exempt quantities apply to items stored in a "building or other structure". Does that mean I can 1,000 primers in my house, another 1,000 in a detached garage, and 1,000 more in a shed as long as they are in a locked container? I'm not sure what "other structure" means. Does it mean any structure on my property or is it a catch-all for something like a bunker, tent, or maybe a tree house.

This might be an easy way to stay legal without a permit.

The exemption section of the CMR states the exempt quantities apply to items stored in a "building or other structure". Does that mean I can 1,000 primers in my house, another 1,000 in a detached garage, and 1,000 more in a shed as long as they are in a locked container? I'm not sure what "other structure" means. Does it mean any structure on my property or is it a catch-all for something like a bunker, tent, or maybe a tree house.

This might be an easy way to stay legal without a permit.

Not according to my fire chief. I asked about this about 2 years ago. Also my Wife can't get a permit too to double our quantities.

Someone I knew had a fire and lots of smokeless went up in flames. It didn't explode but put itself out by consuming all the oxygen in the air.

Someone I knew had a fire and lots of smokeless went up in flames. It didn't explode but put itself out by consuming all the oxygen in the air.

I thought powder contained it's own oxidizer and therefore did not need additional oxygen?

Also, note that there is a conflict in the MA permitting regs. Regs in 13.04 say the local FD can issue permit for up to 10K primers but in the back of the regs (13.11) it says can't store over 5K primers in a "residence." The permitting section says it is subject to all other provisions of the regs.

It does have an oxidizer but the result was a charred basement, no loss of the house. Lots of Kilz covered the blackened wood. That is what I remember being told.

My permit states right on it that I can store up to 10k primers.

I got one from the FC $10 one year. He had never heard of it before and was taken aback anyone would have that much. I told him exactly where it was stored and asked him to make sure the whole department knew, I didn't want anyone getting hurt trying to save my property without knowing the risks. I live in a small town and I know these guys and there families. don't think our conversation went ant further than him and I but he was warned.

The way it was explained to me, 5k may be in the residence, with the balance stored in some other building on the same property. The 10k limit is per property according to my fd.

Back
Top Bottom