AR malfunctions help *UPDATE* SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Sorry for hijacking your thread INK!

You can usually find someone who will bring them to the range and let you borrow, but yes it is worth checking given those symptoms. If the head space is off, particularly steel will stretch and not "go back" like brass might leaving the case wedged.

It's also worth understanding that once in a while you run into crap factory ammo. Bad round, bad batch... stuff happens...

Saw some Federal at the range in the last couple of weeks that was way over length. The gun in question smashed the bullet into the barrel and then proceeded to crush the shoulder of the round with the inertia of the bolt leaving the case wedged in the chamber even before firing.

Pulled a few from the box and they were horrible...

I've had boxes of tula that looked liked just about every primer was just a wink and a smile from blowing out of the case - clearly the pockets were too loose or the case overpressurized...

When someone says something is headspaced, trust but verify. [wink]

I haven't had any issues with stuck cases, it was just the BCG getting stuck after sitting in the safe once the Wolf had run through it. I'll see if I can find someone with a gauge and go from there. Thanks again for the info!

Fix would be a new barrel.

BTW: cekim, my problems with the poly-coated Wolf and Tula are occuring in these rifles even after I do a thorough chamber cleaning with a chamber brush and drill.

I have disassembled my rifle. I need to get some wire gauges to confirm but the gas port is at least .100"
I believe it is actually .110 but i cannot 100% confirm that with the tools i have here. I can with 100% certainty say the gas port is bigger than .093 because i have the tools to here to confirm it.
Tomorrow, i'll get an exact measurement.

stolen from arizona shooters.

11.5" barrel, .750" barrel diameter at the port, 3.850" from muzzle; Port should be approx. .086" to .094" in diameter. The smallest I have seen the port on these short barrels is .081" and it worked with some military ammo but not with some faster burning rate, commercial ammo. With the .086" port the military ammunition worked better but the commercial still wasn't getting enough pressure to work the carrier properly. The .094" port would work with both the high port pressure military ammo and low port pressure PMC ammo. Anything over .094" will cause short stroking/timing problems from too much pressure to the carrier and under .086" might cause short stroking for lack of pressure. To know if the port should be changed or not will depend on a few other things. Is the chamber narrower than it should be? Is the chamber rougher than it should be? Are the rings worn and allowing gas to blow by? Is the carrier key allowing gas to blow by? Etc., etc. Eliminate these variables first! With a smaller diameter barrel at the port, the gas port sizes will usually be a little smaller as well, given the barrel length is still the same.

Barrel Length (in) Barrel Diameter (in) Distance from Muzzle (in) Min Port Size (in) Max Port Size (in)
11.5 .625 3.850 .081 .089
11.5 .750 3.850 .086 .094
14.5 .625 8.375 .063 .078
14.5 .750 8.375 .070 .086
16 .625 8.375 .063 .078
16 .750 8.375 .070 .086
20 .625 6.875 .086 .093
20 .750 6.875 .093 .096
24 .825 N/A .089 .089

If you have some drill bits you can sometimes gauge the hole by inserting the NON-sharpened end. Maybe that's what you did already? Likewise a caliper can sometime ball park the size. Obviously you don't want to force anything in there [that's what she said].

I've never had to deal with this myself but my understanding is the fix options are 1) new barrel, 2) spot weld the hole closed and drill new hole (probably not a DIY job, LOL), or 3) get a gas adjusting front sight block.

Last edited:
An adjustable gas block will not work. My remsport barrel eroded a hole through the side of the gas block. There is just to much gas and pressure, the only fix is a correctly drilled gas port. At one point, I thought Adco was shimming eroded ports to get them back into spec, but I don't think they offer this any more. Only option is to get a new barrel

An adjustable gas block will not work. My remsport barrel eroded a hole through the side of the gas block. There is just to much gas and pressure, the only fix is a correctly drilled gas port. At one point, I thought Adco was shimming eroded ports to get them back into spec, but I don't think they offer this any more. Only option is to get a new barrel

/thread

I have no clue how big my gas port is.... If it is gassing, whats the fix?
I emailed a company called adco about having a gas port resized and they said they could do it and although they don't list it on their site they do have an option for moving a gas port which was not terribly expensive and I can't see them trying to charge more for resizing! Good luck

I'm just gonna opt for the new barrel. I just don't trust that the barrel will be 100% after repairing the gas port. What's the best 14.5" stainless barrel?? [smile]

I'd suggest taking a look over at Bravo Company and/or Ranier Arms. They both sell stripped barrels from a multitude of reputable manufacturers.

I'm just gonna opt for the new barrel. I just don't trust that the barrel will be 100% after repairing the gas port. What's the best 14.5" stainless barrel?? [smile]
dumb question:
Why do you want a 14.5 stainless barrel?

I have a 14.5 barrel on my toy, but 14.5 and "match" don't seem to fit in the same sentence in my language. [wink]

If you want match accuracy at any distance, I'd think you'd want to opt for a longer barrel. 14.5 is plenty "good enough" I shoot mine at 200/300 without complaint, but "good enough" and taking the service life hit of stainless don't compute for me?

dumb question:
Why do you want a 14.5 stainless barrel?

I have a 14.5 barrel on my toy, but 14.5 and "match" don't seem to fit in the same sentence in my language. [wink]

If you want match accuracy at any distance, I'd think you'd want to opt for a longer barrel. 14.5 is plenty "good enough" I shoot mine at 200/300 without complaint, but "good enough" and taking the service life hit of stainless don't compute for me?

I did not know stainless has a shorter service life.
I just like the looks.... but i shoot a lot, so.... i don't wanna be replacing barrels every year. :/

I have no interest in long range shooting. This rifle will mostly be used for under 100 yrds. If i wanna do long distance, i'd prefer a bolt action rifle.

I have no interest in long range shooting. This rifle will mostly be used for under 100 yrds. If i wanna do long distance, i'd prefer a bolt action rifle.

then stay away from stainless. Get a chrome lined hammer forged barrel- it'll have a lot longer of a service life.

Its not going to matter, the stainless isn't suddenly going to start keyholing shots, the accuracy will drop off, but since you're not shooting for accuracy, you will not notice

If i can keep my 1" groups at 100 yds and survive 4-5000 rounds a year with stainless then i'm good with this.

BTW Thanks to all who have posted. You have all been very patient and a great help so far. I'm trying to keep this thread updated becuse so many people post about problems online, but no one ever takes it to the end and shows the solution. :/

you're not going to get 1moa out of standard factory ammo AE, XM193 is not 1 moa. So you will either have to handload or spend big $ on match ammo.

Last edited:
Ink, when did you get your barrel? I too have a 14.5" stainless that was one of the overrun barrels that I bought in January 2010. I don't think I have a 100 rounds through it, but when I get home tonight I'm going to pull the FSB and check the gas port diameter.

Wait! Let me clarify ... I was able to keep all my shots in a 3-4" circle, and being new to rifle shooting i assumed with practice 1" should be no problem. Does ammo make that much of a difference at 100 yds?
Anyway, im gonna see what bravo company has available tonight...

Wait! Let me clarify ... I was able to keep all my shots in a 3-4" circle, and being new to rifle shooting i assumed with practice 1" should be no problem. Does ammo make that much of a difference at 100 yds?

Yes, ammo makes a huge difference. Barrel make a difference also
Other than Federal gold match, Black Hills, Some Prvi. Factory ammo is 1.5 MOA at best. Usually 2moa

What people do is shoot a lot of 3 round groups, finally get 1 that is sub moa and claim the rifle, shooter, ammo is sub 1 moa. It is not. If you can produce those groups with a minimum of 5 shots on command, then and only then is it a true sub moa.

Are you shooting off-hand or on a bench?

If you shooting off hand at 100 yards, 3-4 inches aint bad.

If your on a bench, get up and run around, use all that space for activities.

Skip to 1:39

Here is your new barrel, enjoy:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?cat=106

Last edited by a moderator:
I am resting on the bench. I am still new to this, so there is much to learn. I am shooting through an EOtech, not a scope.
If i can consistently put shots on a 6" paper plate standing- no bench rest form 100 yds then i will be super happy. :)

When i get a barrel, i'll video my first shots so you can see the end result.. and i'll post up my target pics. (unless anyone wants to join me there)

IF the barrel solves my problems, that is.

Yes, ammo makes a huge difference. Barrel make a difference also
Other than Federal gold match, Black Hills, Some Prvi. Factory ammo is 1.5 MOA at best. Usually 2moa

What people do is shoot a lot of 3 round groups, finally get 1 that is sub moa and claim the rifle, shooter, ammo is sub 1 moa. It is not. If you can produce those groups with a minimum of 5 shots on command, then and only then is it a true sub moa.
"Oh that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy..."

Well, when I got home I removed my FSB and measured the gas port on my Remsport SS 14.5" M4 barrel with my dial calipers and it measures 0.072" so it appears that it is within spec.

i brought the proper tools home from work. Micrometer says .093 but there is a ridge ... so i'm gonna say .093-096
I mic'd the tool i had originally used to gauge the size yesterday. While the tool was MARKED .093 it measured .0865 [angry2]

@romokid : this wasn't my build, i just acquired it a few weeks ago.

Yup... i'll leave this right here.....
IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

I decided to take a shot at resizing the gas port. The port is now .062" I think it come out great for my first time welding a barrel. I drilled out the hole a little so the weld would penetrate deeper easier. I pre-heated the barrel as much as i could. (hot enough for anti-spatter to sizzle). The weld lasted less than 3 seconds and did not seem to create a destructive hot spot. I did not nick or damage the bore in any way.
The reason i did this is because i cannot see spending $300 on a new barrel if i don't know that the gas port size is the problem. Now, i'll know. Same EVERYTHING except for the gas port. If this works, then i know what the problem was. If the barrel shoots as good as it did before, then it didn't cost me anything. If the barrel lost some of it's accuracy but the rifle runs, then i can buy a new barrel with confidence. I'll report in as soon as i can get this to the range.

(the pics do not show every step, just a few)

Last edited:
now THAT is one awesome way to fix a Remsport barrel!

how did the bore look afterwards? Any slag splatter or flash?

nope.barrel is flawless. i loaded the barrel with anti spatter and left a cleaning rod inside when i welded it. took me 2 hours, 3 candy bars and a soda. (remember, i cannot be 100% sure this is a remsport barrel. I am going by the previous owner but i did not purchase it)

"for the welders"
I didn't have access to a TIG so i MIG'd it with .023 steel wire, bout 30 lbs stargon mixture, around 18 volts (running lincon wirematic on 220v ac)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom