AR malfunctions help *UPDATE* SUCCESS!!!!!!!

So, i have some pics to post. The first ones are some custom coloring i did on the lower. [smile] ( it was my saturday night project before i went out)
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg

The next pics are target pics. Now, I learned a few things on sunday. 1) Now that i have had an hour to myself at the range to concentrate I discovered I am not nearly as good of a noob rifle shooter as i had hoped. 2) even seated with one elbow on the table it is still tough to shoot accurately with a rifle. I have much to learn.

American eagle .223, seated from 100 yds with an eotech and these were 8" paper plates. Remember, I am very new to rifle shooting so blame all bad shots on me. I post these just to show how my welded barrel held up. Oh, remember, it's a 14.5" barrel.

IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg

Last edited:
After you put a few more rounds, I'd like to see how the gas port is holding up

I will be posting pics of the gas port in a few days. I need to properly tighten the barrel nut and stock. When the proper tools come in from midway, i'm gonna tear it down, inspect and post up pics. I'm sure everyone is curious... including me. Then after the final rifle match in november, i'll probably break it down one more time, depending on round count. i hope to be well over 1000 rounds by then.... if not more.

aint bad for a noob, I mean really you hit the target thats a plus. I find red dots to be just ok for 100 yards. Thats just me. How big is that red dot on that plate @ 100 yards. Im some what new or new to being a better rifle shot other than blasting the 22s.
For run of the mill ammo I find PMC to fair well in my stag 16" the xm193 seems to do well also. remington has done nothing for me in the .223 area.
I have switched to reloading to cure my ammo woes.

I do not know what the accuracy proof is for M193 or M855 per mil specs but I bet its not really tight. I know that the M2 ball .30 cal ammo for the garands was 4" groups out of a test barrel to be good enough for the government.
Also good to know is what is the A2or M4 standard of accuracy ?
It took me a good 1500 rounds to get my groups with average ammo under 4" @ 100 yards. My best group to date of a rest is a tight 2" with a 16" carbine

14.5" doesn't make a difference for accuracy at that range. I find that the XM193 is pretty poor when it comes to accuracy.

As for red dot sights, I find it very easy to shoot the EOTech or Aimpoint at 100 yards.

I was not saying its hard but accuracy is tough for me any way when my red dot looks like a frisbie @ 100 yards.
I cover the black and sqeeze the trigger. anything in the black is good shooting on my end.

The eotech red dot looks like a pinpoint out to 100 yards. I am quite happy with it. I am also gonna have to experiment with some different ammo, but for my needs the American Eagle is more than sufficient for the range.

Here's the barrel after 160 rounds. I know 160 rounds is nothing, but i just received my tools from midway and i really don't wanna put anymore rounds down with a finger tight barrel nut. SO, unless i have any problems in the future, this should be this gas ports last look at daylight for a while. Slight discoloring but no cracks and no leaks. It looks much worse in the pics than it does IRL.

I left the photo BIG for your viewing pleasure. The lines you see are just file marks and the "undercut" of the weld, not cracks. [grin]

The final mod was adding a Magpul B.A.D. Thanks for following along!!!!!![smile][smile][smile][wink][wink][wink][grin][grin][laugh]

photo2.jpg

The eotech red dot looks like a pinpoint out to 100 yards. I am quite happy with it. I am also gonna have to experiment with some different ammo, but for my needs the American Eagle is more than sufficient for the range.

Here's the barrel after 160 rounds. I know 160 rounds is nothing, but i just received my tools from midway and i really don't wanna put anymore rounds down with a finger tight barrel nut. SO, unless i have any problems in the future, this should be this gas ports last look at daylight for a while. Slight discoloring but no cracks and no leaks. It looks much worse in the pics than it does IRL.

You'll probably be more accurate when the barrel isn't flopping around inside the receiver.

Another 148 rounds, 3 kinds of ammo, and still running perfectly... not 1 issue of any kind, nothing nothing nothing! My rifle runs like my Glocks now![smile]
Total round count 308 since fixing the barrel. And just as a side note, you can see the difference in accuracy at 100 yards again when you actually tighten the barrel nut properly.
8" plate
IMG_0338.jpg

6" plates
IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg

I'll update when i hit 1000 rounds.

Last edited:
Well, i am at about 1200 rounds. Out of that 1200 rounds the only issues i have had were 4 failure to feeds. 2 were just overloaded magazines..... 2 of my prebans will hold 31 and the rifle protested. The other 2 i attribute to a weak round and running very heavy oil on a very cold day, but all i did was tap the forward assist, and the round chambered effortlessly. Keep in mind, this is 1200 rounds with only a bore snake down the barrel, lots of oil, and i wiped down the carrier once. That is it. ( i am running an H2 buffer..... i am thinking of trying an H buffer.....)

I believe this is quite acceptable for 1200 rounds and a welded and resized gas port. I can hit steel no problem at 200 yards.

I have since added a Battle Comp compensator which i LOVE very much, magpul MOE grip, no more red lettering, and a viking 2 point sling.
I am done with this thread.
Good 2 Go.
See you on the range.

Back
Top Bottom