AR SBR opinion question

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
I am filling out the papers for a 223 shorty and would like some input on what length I should go with. I know it depends on what I am going to use it for, mostly range shooting, maybe some tactical rifle courses. I would also consider it a HD gun. Currently I am looking at either 10.5, I was in the Navy and loved using the MK18’s, and 7.5. I like the 7.5 because of the obvious size benefit, but what pains would I be in for using a brake, muzzle blasts? Also, is there a real difference in range accuracy between the 2?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ed

The problem with the 7.5" is that they're a pistol design. They use a special gas tube, special handguards, etc that isn't shared with any other AR length. The 10.5" uses the carbine handguards & gas tube.

My shorty is a 10.5" and the accuracy is amazing. The reliability so far has been flawless and I did all the MK18 tweaks to ensure so (heavy buffer, macfarland gas ring, dfender dring, etc).

I was toying with the idea of building a 7.5" upper for it but the 10.5" isn't much longer so I might not (at least for a while).

A carbine rail will fit over a 7.5" barrel perfect. Goes right to the end. The YHM is especially perfect for this because they have the end cap. At 100 yards(all that's been tested so far) my 7.5" is dead accurate.s I also went with the quality parts, heavy buffer, quality bolt, quality barrel, etc.

Thanks for the replys, I think I am going to go with the LMT 10.5, I have used them as the MK18, and I pretty much loved it. Now I am stuck with the delema of needing to use a brake, I have one that I like, but I REALLY want a Novesk KX3. Oh well, I guess I will just scorch my hands. [sad2]

IIRC, once it's registered as an sbr, changing the length of the bbl is a non issue. If you were to reg as 10" and later decide to permanently go to a 7" you would want to notify the ATF that a permanent change is happening (ammendment to form 1). But, if it's non perm. then I have been told by several that you are ok.

If it were me, I register as the shortest length to avoid any potential questions.

Back
Top Bottom