Are people F#&king nuts ?

I was worried about spending money when I got furloughed. Now I realize it would have been an investment. The upside is if prices ever go back to "normal" it will feel like every day is a sale!

Please provide a cite for this.

Not "I know", "A police officer told me", "It stands to reason", or "I would like to see you volunteer to be a test case".

This claim is repeatedly made by no one has yet provided a cite to MGL or case law.

It's a MA resident LTC.

The minute you move out of state and establish your primary residency in another state you are no longer a MA resident and your LTC is no longer valid, neither is a machine gun license.

I moved from MA with both and cut them up the day I got my KY driver's license because neither were valid or needed here. As a Kentucky resident, what good is a resident MA LTC?.....I don't live in MA anymore.

Last edited:
It's a MA resident LTC.

The minute you move out of state and establish residency in another state you are no longer a MA resident and your LTC is no longer valid, neither is a machine gun license.

I moved from MA with both and cut them up the day I got my KY driver's license because neither were valid or needed here. As a Kentucky resident, what good is a resident MA LTC?.....I don't live in MA anymore.
You don't need a machine gun license in Kentucky?

No, no licenses or restrictions for anything. Constitutional carry, open or concealed and no restrictions on any NFA.

All you need is a DL or what ever other form of state issued ID card to buy anything you want or carry anything you want.
Jeez the way the libs think, that set of facts alone should result in daily mass shootings by white supremacists or worse!

No, no licenses or restrictions for anything. Constitutional carry, open or concealed and no restrictions on any NFA.

All you need is a DL or what ever other form of state issued ID card to buy anything you want or carry anything you want.
I can't even comprehend that type of freedom.

I can't even comprehend that type of freedom.
You won't until you live it.

Gives you an idea of just how much of a tyrannical police state that MA really IS. The second happiest day of my entire life was seeing the back side of the "Leaving Massachusetts" sign in my rearview mirror.

It's a MA resident LTC.

The minute you move out of state and establish your primary residency in another state you are no longer a MA resident and your LTC is no longer valid, neither is a machine gun license.

1. Not it is not just a resident LTC. The owner of a business in MA may have a regular LTC. Not applicable in most individuals case, but proof that the regular LTC is not by statute "resident only".

2. You are offering proof by declaration. My challenge to provide proof by citing a law or court decision of record stands. You have done neither. Can you do so or are you simply offering your personal expert opinion?

Well, for one thing if you were visiting MA, even an expired LTC provides protection from a criminal charge provided you have not become ineligible to be licenses; been denied a MA renewal or had that LTC revoked for any reason other than failure to file a change of address.

If you need further proof, I will look up that statute and backup my claims with proof, not just my assertion.

1. Not it is not just a resident LTC. The owner of a business in MA may have a regular LTC. Not applicable in most individuals case, but proof that the regular LTC is not by statute "resident only".

2. You are offering proof by declaration. My challenge to provide proof by citing a law or court decision of record stands. You have done neither. Can you do so or are you simply offering your personal expert opinion?

Well, for one thing if you were visiting MA, even an expired LTC provides protection from a criminal charge provided you have not become ineligible to be licenses; been denied a MA renewal or had that LTC revoked for any reason other than failure to file a change of address.

If you need further proof, I will look up that statute and backup my claims with proof, not just my assertion.

Rob, I dropped that licensing piano off my back many years ago. I care not a whit about MA licensing anymore, I live in a free state with absolutely no restrictions and will never set foot in Massachusetts again.....not even for a visit.
Secondly, An expired license can be easily looked up if there was ever any question of a license having been issued previously.......simple. Again, I have no intent of ever returning to MA for any reason so that issue will never arise.

The business issued LTC didn't and doesn't apply to the individual refrenced above nor any other individual non business related issuance. As an individual, When you leave the state of MA and establish your permanent residence in another state, you can and will no longer be issued a resident LTC. If you don't believe me, ask a friend who lives out of state to try and get one.

The business issued LTC didn't and doesn't apply to the individual refrenced above nor any other individual non business related issuance. As an individual, When you leave the state of MA and establish your permanent residence in another state, you can and will no longer be issued a resident LTC. If you don't believe me, ask a friend who lives out of state to try and get one.
Agreed. I was offering that only as proof that such a license could be valid for a non resident.

But that has nothing to do with the assertion such a license algorithmically voids itself if you leave the DPRM. I do hope KY got its minus back (A retired KSP I know was distraught when the Brady group elevated KY from F- to F on its rating of states for gun control).

Rob, I dropped that licensing piano off my back many years ago. I care not a whit about MA licensing anymore, I live in a free state with absolutely no restrictions and will never set foot in Massachusetts again.....not even for a visit.
Secondly, An expired license can be easily looked up if there was ever any question of a license having been issued previously.......simple. Again, I have no intent of ever returning to MA for any reason so that issue will never arise.

I moved out of MA to NH about 7 years ago. Did the notifications to city and state (FRB) as required. Went to apply as a business owner. Guess what. My resident LTC WAS STILL VALID. The town I moved out of had to go through and "expire it out" so that I could get issued my "business owner's Resident LTC." (yes, it actually said Resident LTC on it). Had I known then what I know now, I would have saved myself the $100 and the wait for an LTC.

ETA: your original claim was that as soon as you move out of state your resident LTC is no longer valid. But mine was. And, I received a new resident LTC after moving out of state.

I haven’t looked a prices for a while as I have what I consider enough. Man, I’m thinking time to offload some to make coin. I gave my brother plenty as he got a 9 a few months ago, should have charged the bastard.

I moved out of MA to NH about 7 years ago. Did the notifications to city and state (FRB) as required. Went to apply as a business owner. Guess what. My resident LTC WAS STILL VALID. The town I moved out of had to go through and "expire it out" so that I could get issued my "business owner's Resident LTC." (yes, it actually said Resident LTC on it). Had I known then what I know now, I would have saved myself the $100 and the wait for an LTC.

ETA: your original claim was that as soon as you move out of state your resident LTC is no longer valid. But mine was. And, I received a new resident LTC after moving out of state.

Just because the date on the piece of paper you carried hadn't expired that doesn't mean it was valid. You didn't live at the same address or within the state which is part of the criteria that actually validates the license.

It was not valid, regardless of the text on the license.

The fact that it had to be "post move" cancelled is simply an indication of incompetence of the issuing department.

Your MA LTC legally expired the minute you moved out of the state and became a resident of another state the first time. They were only good for a few years so how did it expire in 99? Did you move back and renew it?
He was active duty military. MGL states that active-duty military LTCs do not expire until the person is no longer on active duty (if they are stationed out of state). So that could easily have been 1999 or later.

I was still military the first few times. the last time i was Fed, then a deputy in Tarrant County. Fort Worth Tx. sry. Paul
The law change in 1998 stated that any LTC/FID that was valid on June 1, 1998 meant that the person never had to take a BFS course and everything is considered a renewal. Renewals and new LTCs actually undergo all the same steps except the course requirement and fingerprinting is only required once after 1998. That said, some PDs will still require a course under "suitability" and "discretion" (both terms allowed per MGL).

Did you do a total of 10 yrs as a LEO (Fed or city/state)? If so, did your terminal LE position give you LEOSA ID? If so, you could get qualified and possess anything in MA without a LTC, you just couldn't buy anything in state. To do annual LEOSA cert in MA, Mass requires that you maintain a LTC (direct violation of the Fed Law), however.

Thank you for your service. Sorry you ended up in MA.

Just because the date on the piece of paper you carried hadn't expired that doesn't mean it was valid. You didn't live at the same address or within the state which is part of the criteria that actually validates the license.

The fact that it had to be "post move" cancelled is simply an indication of incompetence of the issuing department.
There you go again with "proof by assertion". The challenge for a law or court decision that establishes this remains open. Can you explain why you expect people to believe your conclusion when you repeatedly hold yourself out to be expert on this subject but ignore requests for objective proof?

Consider the case of someone being prosecuted for the civil violation of carry on an expired LTC (remember, it's not criminal as long as the person has not been denied a renewal; become a pp; or had the LTC revoked for reason other that failure to file a change of address). The prosecution brings the case before the court and defense counsel asks "What chapter and section of Mass General Law is my client accused of violating?". What would the answer be? It's not mentioned in the statutes but some guy on NES declared the license self-voided upon moving out of state?

Last edited:
He was active duty military. MGL states that active-duty military LTCs do not expire until the person is no longer on active duty (if they are stationed out of state). So that could easily have been 1999 or later.

The law change in 1998 stated that any LTC/FID that was valid on June 1, 1998 meant that the person never had to take a BFS course and everything is considered a renewal. Renewals and new LTCs actually undergo all the same steps except the course requirement and fingerprinting is only required once after 1998. That said, some PDs will still require a course under "suitability" and "discretion" (both terms allowed per MGL).

Did you do a total of 10 yrs as a LEO (Fed or city/state)? If so, did your terminal LE position give you LEOSA ID? If so, you could get qualified and possess anything in MA without a LTC, you just couldn't buy anything in state. To do annual LEOSA cert in MA, Mass requires that you maintain a LTC (direct violation of the Fed Law), however.

Thank you for your service. Sorry you ended up in MA.
I saw my Ltc "form" as I was signing it, and under occupation it read Retired Law Enforcement. That's all I got to see before she took it back. Paul

I saw my Ltc "form" as I was signing it, and under occupation it read Retired Law Enforcement. That's all I got to see before she took it back. Paul
LEOSA ID must be issued by agency you retired from. If they refuse, some will, you are out of luck wrt that Fed Law.

LEOSA ID must be issued by agency you retired from. If they refuse, some will, you are out of luck wrt that Fed Law.
Does the LEOSA ID establish, or just prove, the legal right of the LEO to carry? If a retired LEO eligible for LEOSA could not get a card from his former employer, and was prosecuted in a place like NJ, would "meets LEOSA requirements" be a legit defense or would that be in the same category as "would have been able to get an LTC"?

nope. spoke with FRB about this. It was still valid.

I want to apologize to everyone for stealing this thread. All I was doing wrt my post , was just letting people know that not all of us "F-ing Nutz" Lol,,,, Are in this circumstance by our own choice. Again I Thank everyone for their comments and their concerns for me and the others this has happened to. Paul.

I got my LTC in early 2014 during the post Sandy Hook shortage and I frequently overpaid for ammo because I was buying what I could find. The current prices make me feel way better about all those $27 boxes of 100 round Winchester White Box 9mm I bought.

Back
Top Bottom