Are your skills good enough to protect your family?

No, but there are targets that will let you practice this.

Those of us who took defensive handgun classes did this drill with dummies on pulleys (so they were moving) making it more realistic.

For static ranges, use the IDPA targets that are colored differently on each side. Place two targets overlapping out there with each a different color and try to hit the BG while leaving the hostage unscathed.

the course sounds pretty intense and thanks for the additional practice tip.

I think I could take a head shot at that range, but if I could get close enough, the gun would be the least of the BG's worries. I LIKE my axes, and DO practice with them. Of course, I'll continue to train with all weapons.

Check out the offerings at www.neshooters.com

Most of those courses (offered by Nationally renowned trainers) involve such "real world" scenarios.

Based on this and the course descriptions I'm changing my answer to no. I haven't had any of these courses nor have I practiced any of the techniques discussed. I'm an above average target shooter so shooting and hitting my unobstructed intended target I don;t think is an issue, but to take a shot with my kid in the line of fire I guess I'd like to think I could do it but am not willing to take the chance wothout at the very least taking these suggested courses. I'm sure I need at the very least the training offered in this link before I even consider such a task.

Thank you for the link. I e-mailed it home so I can study it further.

Last edited:
Let's change the scenario slightly...instead of the bad guy holding a knife to your child's head, he is holding a gun

If he is doing that he's stupid because if I were using a human shield I would be pointing the gun at you and taking the shot as you hesitate to shoot because it's your loved one. My goal is to get out and you alive with a gun is preventing that. So using the shiled i make you hesitate as I pump a couple into you and then leave.

The knife to the shield makes sense to prevent you from shooting as I don't really match up with you as me having a knife and you having a gun.

Good for you. Getting yourself into a good training conducted by qualified and competent instructors is the first step. As for NEShooters, I can't say enough good things about their programs, all of the instructors are top notch, friendly, and they know their shit!

Based on this and the course descriptions I'm changing my answer to no. I haven't had any of these courses nor have I practiced any of the techniques discussed. I'm an above average target shooter so shooting and hitting my unobstructed intended target I don;t think is an issue, but to take a shot with my kid in the line of fire I guess I'd like to think I could do it but am not willing to take the chance without at the very least taking these suggested courses. I'm sure I need at the very least the training offered in this link before I even consider such a task.

Thank you for the link. I e-mailed it home so I can study it further.

I am in the same situation when it comes to training. I've only owned a gun since June and have yet to participate in any serious training. I am at the range every weekend but shooting at stationary objects can only take me so far.

I dunno. I might be too dumbfounded wondering how the creep got that far in the first place. I don't know about the rest of you, but nothing, and I mean nothing occurs in our house that the dog doesn't know about. Since he's been a pup we've had to keep him gated in our room at night or he wanders the house barking at stuff. Even now, if a bottle on top of the fridge rattles when the compressor kicks on, he's at the gate growling. Add to that the fact that I have become one heck of a light sleeper since the birth of my son and it would be a VERY unique person that gets that far. Someone with those skills would find MUCH better targets than pissing me off.

And yes, my son would need a bath and new sheets. And I'll bet the wife will be house hunting in the morning.

I think you've been watching too much TV. Taking a distance shot in such a hostage situation isn't really an option. If you're indoors in close quarters you either rush them and shoot at point blank range or try and talk them down. I'm guessing most here would prefer the rush.

Don't know about your house, but if I'm in a bedroom (or any other room in the house for that matter) absolutely everything in the room is already at point blank range. I realize that taking a head shot at 5 yards might be problematic for people who get a gun for protection, then put it in the nightstand until it's needed, which is a good reason not to take it out and practice shooting. I sort of doubt that the same person who couldn't be bothered to practice with a gun would be able to effectively disarm someone armed with a knife, or even run across the vast expanses of that giant bedroom before Mongo slits the child's throat.

Have a friend set up two IDPA or IPSC targets, one a "shoot", the other "no shoot" shielding most of the "shoot", while you're behind a barricade so that you can't see how they're arranged. When everything's ready, move around the barricade until you can see the targets, then take the shot as fast as you can, making sure that you hit Mongo and avoid the hostage. If you hit the hostage make sure you think of it as your child or spouse, not some anonymous hostage, much less a "no shoot" target. When you're doing it right consistently, do it faster.

Ken

Almost everytime I go to the range, I bring a couple of the cheapest paper plates I can buy, and staple them to a target stand like this:

Web%20paperplates.jpg

I draw smiley faces on them and practice taking shots at one or the other, trying not to hit the other one.

Good cheap practice for something you hope will never happen.

I hope that my nerves don't compromise my aim in a real scenario.

My wife has instructions that if she is ever held hostage like that, she is to drop and I'll take a shot.

I did see one episode of CSI Miami where Caine was confronting a hostage taker and talking him into putting down his knife/gun (whatever he was holding the hostage with), promising the BG that he wouldn't be hurt. As soon as the BG slacked off, like he was going to drop it, Caine put one between his eyes. I was shocked, but very pleased !

Let's change the scenario slightly...instead of the bad guy holding a knife to your child's head, he is holding a gun

Same response: Two quick head shots, more if needed.

Of course its theoretical for me, not having an kids, and a girlfriend who knows her way around a gun (read: out-shot me last time we were out:)

AE

simple answer. Yes, with out a doubt.

I have actually thought about this many times.

I can comfortably hit a head sized target at 50' all day long, mag after mag.

I am not one to kneel and my kids are taught the same.

Although, not a bad idea to train on this...

Take a target, then set up a small ballon (size of a childs head) on the stand. Take your shots, but dont break the ballon.

Now the real kicker that someone needs to fear is the 60lb boxer that protects my children as they are her own. the SOB would never make it up the stairs in the first place.

In a full-on, panic run into my child's room, I'm not going to have time to get the gun out of the safe.

So I'll have a razor-sharp katana, which gives me better reach.

I figure the sight of a 6' tall, shaved head biker in his skivvies holding a samurai sword will make the most hardened home invader pause for a second or two, easily long enough to close the gap and sever his spinal cord...

Elsewise I'll tackle him and knock him out the front windows, then beat him to death in my front yard. That'll keep the neighborhood kids from cutting through!

[wink]

Elsewise I'll tackle him and knock him out the front windows, then beat him to death in my front yard. That'll keep the neighborhood kids from cutting through!

[wink]

I'll direct traffic for you.

"Nothing to see here, move along!"

[wink]

Don't have kids but would take the shot if I had to; I don't see
how theres any other option.

A lot of this is situation dependent. EG, theres a cart and
horse thing here- why is the guy holding a knife to your
kid- are they trying to kidnap them? If they were just
trying to kill, they could have just done the deed before
you got there, etc. If they're just taking the kid hostage
to use as a shield, why didn't you just shoot the perp when
he first figured out you were a threat?

I agree with others in the respect that it'd be far better off
to get to the perp before it gets to that point. If he's gotten
into your kid's bedroom, you've already failed.

-Mike

I think it's great that folks have given this so much thought (as I have). My only additional comment would be to utilize the range techniques described above, but only after running two miles as fast as you can to simulate what you heart rate and breathing would like be like in a true bad guy has a knife/gun to my child's head.
I be curious to what that does to one's ability to pop off quick multiple headshots.

I think it's great that folks have given this so much thought (as I have). My only additional comment would be to utilize the range techniques described above, but only after running two miles as fast as you can to simulate what you heart rate and breathing would like be like in a true bad guy has a knife/gun to my child's head.
I be curious to what that does to one's ability to pop off quick multiple headshots.

That's why I NEVER predict what I would actually do in such situations. It's a Walter Mitty world for most of us until it actually happens

If someone ever made it that far, I wouldn't need to do anything since I intend to train my kids to shoot for the head as soon as they can hold a .22.

Like drgrant said if they're there to kill your kid the deed would be done already. Based on the scenario I'd assume most likely the intruder is using them as a human shield (perhaps they heard you coming down the hall). A human shield is only useful while that human is alive. The perp knows (or should) that if he kills your child he'll be eating lead x 10 (or more). He would most likely try and use your child as a means of safe escape (unless motive is to kidnap in which case escape with child). At some point the pair will turn/move etc. in a way that would give you a better shot. You're just waiting for the better shot. If nothing else you have time to aim.

The other thing to consider is how big is your child compared to the thug. A 4 year old is going to leave a lot of intruder exposed.

Here’s what I’ve been taught:

Scenario No. 1: BG holding hostage with knife to neck or side of head. You enter, draw and take aim at BG’s head. No need to say anything, but if you say something (perhaps in response to direction to “drop your gun”) you say:

“This ends one of two ways. Draw one drop of her blood, and you’ll be dead before the blood hits the floor. Let her loose and you live.”

Of course, there is a third possibility, namely that while you and BG are standing off, you get and take a clear shot. However, this possible outcome should not be presaged.

Apparently there are statistics that lead to the conclusion that in the vast majority of cases, the BG releases the hostage, once he registers that you are not going to drop your weapon or lower your aim.

Scenario No. 2: Same as above, but BG armed with pistol, pointed at hostage’s head. The difference between the scenarios is that in No. 2, BG is as much a threat to you as he is to the hostage.

Enter, draw and take aim as above. Speech (if appropriate) the same. However, key to this scenario is to stay focused on BG’s gun. Here statistics say it is 50-50 (once he registers that you are not going to drop or lower your weapon) that BG will move his aim from hostage to you, in which case you have no choice but to take the shot.

Note that scenario does not end if his grip on hostage is released; this action almost always precedes BG’s taking a shot at you. As a result, you are statistically better off to take your shot the instant that hostage is out of the line of fire.

In either case, never surrender your weapon. Statistics say that this virtually assures that one or both of you and hostage will die.

I’ve never been in this situation, and I’ve done no independent research of statistics. Likewise, the layout and security systems of my house make the scenario there unlikely (though not impossible). However, I trust the folks from whom I acquired the foregoing, and it constitutes my “plan.”

As prior poster sagely observed, in all of the foregoing remember to stay observant and flexible. No plan applies to all cases.

I don't think it's a question of range skills. My adrenalin would be pumping so much that I think my aim would be awful. Maybe you guys are training differently than me but I'd rush in at point-blank range rather than try to take aim at distance with risk of injuring a hostage.
Take a defensive hand gun course or two. Your adrenalin will be pumping and you will be stressing. I guarantee that you will hit the target, accurately and with determination. Practice getting yourself in the defensive mindset. Get angry that the BG is in your home. Tense up when you think about how the BG might be armed and what danger he poses to you and your loved ones. You will not miss when you aim at the BG.
And of course, de-stress and hope you never have to use your defensive skills.[grin]
You need to discuss and practice self-defense senarios with your loved ones. Make sure they understand what they need to do to help you defend them.
Best Regards.

Not a word would be uttered and the bad guy would be dead about two seconds after I entered the room and saw him. I use a rifle for home protection and an accurate headshot at 12 feet or less is 100% guaranteed.

I would definately tumble-roll out of my room, and fire 3 short bursts from my blowdart into the guys neck. If that doesn't work I would blast an R-Kelly CD out of my surround sound and hopefully he'll end up stabbing himself. (PS. My at home gun as laser-sight on it. It's accurate within a 1/4". That would give me the confidence to take the shot and go "jack bauer" on the intruder's @$$

I've always been partial to the standoff going this way:

[Me, pointing gun at BG's head] I'm going to count to three. If you haven't dropped the [gun/knife] by the time I get to "three", I'm gonna shoot you.

[Me] One...

[S&W Model 19] BANG! BANG!

[Me] twothree...

...For a little lower stakes training Try a falling Steel Plate timed shoot with a 100 bill on the finish line (use whatever currency makes you cry, I use a One Dollar bill). The 6 in plate is not moving and does not shoot back but it is still hard to hit six of them rapid fire before your opponant takes down theirs.

It would be cool to make a Plate target that has Mutiple Dueling Plates behind hostage targets that also randomly move.

Any Tin Knockers out there?

This shooting gallery could be used day or night at the range. At Flashing lights in the dark like at the PD training ranges and it would be great practice...

Sounds like good subject matter for a new thread and a new NES outing. (-;

...Have a friend set up two IDPA or IPSC targets, one a "shoot", the other "no shoot" shielding most of the "shoot", while you're behind a barricade so that you can't see how they're arranged. When everything's ready, move around the barricade until you can see the targets, then take the shot as fast as you can, making sure that you hit Mongo and avoid the hostage. If you hit the hostage make sure you think of it as your child or spouse, not some anonymous hostage, much less a "no shoot" target. When you're doing it right consistently, do it faster.

Easier than a barricade is to just turn around while the friend arranges it. You could also use photos if that makes it more "realistic" for you.

Check out the Biathalon? thread. (-:

If someone ever made it that far, I wouldn't need to do anything since I intend to train my kids to shoot for the head as soon as they can hold a .22.

You've overlooked that little "safe storage" issue.

Last edited:
Hey, it doesn't have to be an Olympic level Biathlon with a capital B. Ever hear of powder puff triathalons? Basically, it could be what you want it to be, as long as it captures the essence of the idea. It could be a pistols on mountain bike "biathlon" (yes, now it is even in quote marks). It could be a skiing/rifle biathlon, it could be swimming and airgun. The basic concepts remain similar, no?

by definition:
2. an athletic contest comprising any two consecutive events.

...Have a friend set up two IDPA or IPSC targets, one a "shoot", the other "no shoot" shielding most of the "shoot", while you're behind a barricade so that you can't see how they're arranged. When everything's ready, move around the barricade until you can see the targets, then take the shot as fast as you can, making sure that you hit Mongo and avoid the hostage. If you hit the hostage make sure you think of it as your child or spouse, not some anonymous hostage, much less a "no shoot" target. When you're doing it right consistently, do it faster.

Easier than a barricade is to just turn around while the friend arranges it. You could also use photos if that makes it more "realistic" for you.

Perhaps, but the barricade teaches you to minimize your own exposure while getting a sight picture on Mongo. There's no reason to just stand in the doorway, backlighted, while you assess the situation and locate and identify hostages and targets. Mongo already knows you're coming through the doorway, while you haven't a clue where he is, giving him a huge advantage if he's armed with a gun. Try to take away as much of that as you can.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom