ATF Form 4 thread. Process and approvals!

If those are paper form 4’s for suppressors that is very impressive and very odd. Most paper forms are taking 10-12 months currently and some even longer.

I’m at 11 months on one and 9 on another.
Also 34 days on a e-form 4.

I have 2 pending from December and just submitted another one earlier this week. Hoping they get processed sooner than later. I am suppose to be get my BOGO Octane 45 before the end of June and get to do it all over again.

I did use the 24 month exemption this time for the Trust paperwork. I certified that nothing has changed on my Trust since the last approval (4/3/22) and provided the details of the approval. This cuts down having to send the Trust information. Works for the eForm 1s I do so I want to see if it works for the Form 4s. Will definitely save my some toner and paper in the long run.

I have gotten 2 back this year for customers ( have only filed 2 this year also)
E-filed 1-25-22
Approved 6-7-22
Mailed in prints
also not a US citizen, Has green card

E-filed 6-15-22
Approved 6-29-22
Mailed in prints
This has to be the fastest I have seen, 14 days. He had emailed me yesterday and said his fingerprints had finally gotten there.

Submitted electronically beginning of march 2022. Still waiting. Guess 90 days was a stretch................

So today I certified my first eForm 4, I still have 2 pending from almost a year ago that were done through SilencerCo before the new eForm4 came out.
Now I wait to see which comes through first.

Paper form 4 - suppressor
Trust with two responsible people
Dead Air Sandman-S

Purchased 5/30/21
Went pending 6/18/21
Approved 9/2/22
Pickup 9/10/22

468 days since purchase date.
442 days from pending to approved.
Just shy of 15 months.

This is my first suppressor.

So the supressor that started this thread finally came in
filed July 26 got the OK on Sept 13
And the one from Aug 23rd came in the shop's mail on Sept 17
So they were running a little over a year, on the old system.
I'm still waiting on a third, done through the new system back on/about mid July. Now to see how they compare.

Paper form 4 - suppressor
Rugged Obsidian 9

Purchased 8/22/21
Went pending 9/17/21
Approved 9/14/22
Pickup from dealer 9/26/22
Examiner was Sara B. Free????

400 days since purchase date.
362 days from pending to approved.

Q Silencer Full Nelson
eForm 4

Purchased via Silencer Shop: 10/15
Fingerprinted at SS Kiosk: 10/22
eForm 4 Submitted: 11/4

Eform 4 - suppressor
Dead Air Mask HD

Purchased 3/18/22
Went pending 3/24/22
Approved 12/1/22
Pickup from dealer 12/1/22
Examiner was Cathleen Sheppard

258 days since purchase date.
252 days from pending to approved.

so with the new system we are slowly creeping back to the old wait times, this is total BS

so with the new system we are slowly creeping back to the old wait times, this is total BS
Yup, the entire process is a joke. It is a little better than the paper form but not by much, and now the paper form will barely be used.

I’m done with the NFA for now. Just got my third suppressor approved and have nothing else pending. Only other thing I would do is SBR my AP5 at some point.

Yup, the entire process is a joke. It is a little better than the paper form but not by much, and now the paper form will barely be used.

I’m done with the NFA for now. Just got my third suppressor approved and have nothing else pending. Only other thing I would do is SBR my AP5 at some point.
I heard that they're so backlogged on paper forms that they're now processing those to catch up and putting the eforms on the back burner. It's like TSA Precheck/Global Entry - when everyone has it, it defeats the purpose of getting it. I've been in airport security lines that were shorter than the lines at TSA Pre.

I had a few from December and January clear in 30 to 45 days, it was incredible. Now I have 9 pending with the oldest date of 04/24/22. I’m hoping they do a batch approval.
Is it worth it to try and submit another can purchase before this gets approved or is there just no rhyme or reason?

Is it worth it to try and submit another can purchase before this gets approved or is there just no rhyme or reason?
I’ve had batch approvals for my last three or four in row. My December and January approvals all came within 5 minutes of each other. It’s a coin toss but the odds are better than zero you could get a batch. It makes sense to work through the backlog, but making sense isn’t the ATF way all the time.

Question on fingerprints with Trust, my wife is co trustee so I assume I will need her prints, the successor trustees are my kids, will I need their prints too?

Question on fingerprints with Trust, my wife is co trustee so I assume I will need her prints, the successor trustees are my kids, will I need their prints too?
Ultimately, you will need to read the language of your specific trust and see who is considered a responsible person.

As a co-trustee, your wife will definitely need to submit fingerprints, a photo, and fill out the responsible person questionnaire.

Your kids as successor trustee’s really comes down to the wording of the trust.

Here’s an explanation and an example of my trust’s creator of what the different titles are and if they are a responsible party or not.
This is the newer language that changed after the ATF 41F changes a few years ago.FE5E7D11-66CB-4765-8F0D-3188BF0762E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Ultimately, you will need to read the language of your specific trust and see who is considered a responsible person.

As a co-trustee, your wife will definitely need to submit fingerprints, a photo, and fill out the responsible person questionnaire.

Your kids as successor trustee’s really comes down to the wording of the trust.
does this help? or should ai just bring it to the shop and have them look?20230113_110519.jpg

does this help? or should ai just bring it to the shop and have them look?View attachment 708780
The wording on that is not completely clear to my uneducated mind.

The first paragraph says a “successor trustee may from time to time serve as the trustee here under”.

That picture shows who is named an which title but doesn’t say what the title’s capabilities are.

Personally I would send an email to whoever wrote your trust and ask them for a specific breakdown of what each title is and does and have it clarified. You would be better off knowing now then sending in a form and finding out after 8 months of waiting it was denied.

Side note: is that your official name of the trust? Holy long winded Batman. I would see if I could change that to get it shorter to just “K.A.C. Trust”.
You will need to engrave that entire name onto any NFA item you make.

9 months and 4 days later...

337705858_2433573640132501_1476114886170184525_n.jpg

Q Silencer Full Nelson
eForm 4

Purchased via Silencer Shop: 10/15
Fingerprinted at SS Kiosk: 10/22
eForm 4 Submitted: 11/4

I received an email from ATF stating the below.

This is to advise you that the status of your eForms submission with the subject Permit/Control number has changed to APPROVED.

Does this mean that I can go pick up my suppressor?

Back
Top Bottom