Average Ammo Count per Range Trip?

Really, I was questioning how often the average police officer makes range trips?
My agency qualifies at the range once a quarter. Most of the guys I work with shoot the qual and nothing else, ever. I'd be very surprised if the average number of range trips for all LEO's (local, county, state, and federal) was more than five or six times a year.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

The great and powerful Chief has spoken!

SILENCE!

And bring me the broomstick...!

The-Great-and-Powerful-Wizard-of-Oz.jpg

My agency qualifies at the range once a quarter. Most of the guys I work with shoot the qual and nothing else, ever. I'd be very surprised if the average number of range trips for all LEO's (local, county, state, and federal) was more than five or six times a year.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

As bullshit as that chief's requirement is, he is probably justifying in his own mind by wanting anyone that carries to be practicing at least as much as his officers (which as you pointed out, isn't a whole lot). I'd be pissed if I had to deal with that, but I guess I sort of understand the twisted logic behind it from a safety standpoint. Where he's really flawed though, is that just because someone goes to the range and dumps a bunch of rounds, it doesn't mean they are safe, or proficient for that matter! Just look at statistics for police hit ratios...[laugh]

I go thru 100 -200 rds on the indoor range,outdoors depending on which rifle handgun combo 400rds. My 1874 Sharps 100 rds last for hours. 22 rimfire no less than 500 rds.

Any LEO that asked for something as dumb as that up here would be unemployed pretty quick.

As to amount, sometimes it's as little as 20-30 rounds, sometimes as much as 650 rounds and up.

And, I'm mostly a rifle shooter, not so much with handguns.

200 rounds is about all I can do because my thumbs get chewed up stuffing those 9mm's into the mags.

Bwahahahahahah [laugh]

OP - you gotta write this in your log... Maybe the Chief will figure you have to carry so some 3rd grader doesn't beat you to death with his Scooby-Doo lunch box....

Can't believe you have to go through that. How do they get away with that?

I reload, so as the saying goes, you don't save any money but you shoot a whole lot more. I'll go through 2-300 between revolvers, semi-autos, and rifles. If I'm on my contender kick, I might spend 2 hrs going through 50 rounds trying my best to shrink those groups up. I hit the range once a week at a minimum and usually twice a week during the summer.

One of those mag loaders came in the M&P9 "range kit" I bought at FS. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Laugh at me if you want but I have tiny girly-man hands and that mag loader has saved me a bit of pain.

WTF, not sure what I am reading. What ammo restriction and log, never heard of such a thing?

OP has an LTC with restrictions, meaning that he cannot carry for protection (as a person with an unrestricted LTC can).

Chief has told the OP that he may remove the restrictions, if he shows him a "range log" indicating enough practice.

Chief has broad discretion as to "suitability." Though extreme by PRM standards, CoP will "get away with it".

My range trips have changed. These days, I a taking my EDC and practicing, so that's probably close to 100 rounds of 9MM.

I shoot at least 2 mags of 45 with my G21, because it is the home defense handgun.

Once that is done, depending on mood and time, I may shoot 50-100 .223, anywhere between 20 and 200 .22, and a magazine/clip of something more fun like 54r or a Garand clip.

It is a multiple of this if I bring my kids. I don't know that I've ever been there and shot less than 200.

On the land up north, my kids have gone through 5 bricks of .22 in a weekend shooting a mini-seed Appleseed variant.

OP has an LTC with restrictions, meaning that he cannot carry for protection (as a person with an unrestricted LTC can).

Chief has told the OP that he may remove the restrictions, if he shows him a "range log" indicating enough practice.

Chief has broad discretion as to "suitability." Though extreme by PRM standards, CoP will "get away with it".

Good grief ....

I guess bodycamera is next after restriction lifted.

What a piece of shit. I would tell him to f' off and move.

Anyone who follows these commands is bowing down. Contact a lawyer immediately!

Last edited:
I guess bodycamera is next after restriction lifted.

What a piece of shit. I would tell him to f' off and move.

Anyone who follows these commands is bowing down. Contact a lawyer immediately!

The restrictions on the LTC will stay, until the current ("range log") Chief, either changes the restrictions, or "expires" the LTC early, so he can re-apply in his new town ($100 fee, of course).

O'leary the chief still?

ETA: for all those screaming "SUE THE BASTARD", I have a question: are you going to pay the legal fees just to have the Chief win in court?

Right, didn't ****ing think so. Bunch keyboard law commandos around here [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom