• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barnstable public range opinions...

I have been looking for a new club myself. I am at Plymouth. They have nice facilities, 24/7 indoor pistol, 200 yd rifle, 50 yd outdoor pistol, skeet, trap, sporting clays, archery and a new covered picnic area that members can reserve. A lot of FUDD restrictions though and I just don't have the time to get involved to work on changes. In 2012 I made it to the club twice. I think there is a work commitment now for new members, maybe 8 hours in the first year.

Is anyone a member at CCF&G in Harwich? From the little I've heard, there is only a work requirement for the the first year as a new member?

Like a lot of others, I just don't have the time to dedicate for regular dinners, meetings and what not. I really just want a place to go shoot and pretty much be left alone, which is what I loved about the Barnstable range. My biggest fears about when it re-opens, is limited hours (especially during "inclement" weather) and FUDD range officers who won't even allow (safe) drawing from holsters.

Cross posted from thread in General:

Holy crap was the meeting packed. No parking, no getting inside the room. I could barely hear the TV they had setup downstairs. There were not enough packets so I snapped pictures of the pages and passed it on to someone else. Time to look at CC Fish and Game, I guess.

Basically what is happening is the following (getting f'd over, really):
  • Permit Fees: Resident-$70, Non-Res-$115, Guest Pass- $10 per adult per visit
  • Hours: Thurs, Fri, Sat ONLY 0900 - 1700 (1600 when DST ends)
  • RO Needed to be Present at all times
  • Group Events need to be scheduled/applied for
  • Group Events where not shooting from normal firing line need $1mil liability insurance
  • When busy: Pistols/Rifle Lanes - 1 hour max then get back in line , Shotguns - 25 clays max

Apologizes for the crappy pictures, but I couldn't do better at the time:
View attachment 80441View attachment 80443View attachment 80444View attachment 80445

This is what happens when the government is in control. The range will become unprofitable and they shut it down completely in short order.

Moved along to Sippican already and glad I did even before the above changes.....now doubly glad that I did.

Moved along to Sippican already and glad I did even before the above changes.....now doubly glad that I did.

I joined new bedford, which is a nice outdoor range, cheap and easy to get in, but, no indoor range and kinda far for me to drive from Bourne.

How do u like sippican? How long does it take to get in? Indoor range ? tks

The final outcome in regards to the Barnstable Range is not set in stone as far as I know. Next meeting is set for Oct 15th. Not sure whether or not it will be open to the public its not clear ?
The listed times / hrs. & guest charges were not excepted by the general public.
So who knows what the county will cram down us next ? Seems that they consider it a recreational facility ! So then why not treat is as such ! I don't see them closing other recreation parks certain days and charging excessive fees especially for guests. Insurance, Liability, and Maintenance bills are inherent in all public recreation areas as far as I know.

I'm not against a membership fee but really now, I think someone sees a money pit here.
Sure some good (RSO) guys will volunteer their time but they should be compensated in some way ? After all the county stands to make plenty at the proposed rate change.
I haven't seen any real monies put into upgrading the range wile closed all year either. Pushing some dirt around & transplanting some shrub just does not cut it. What a wast of time !

Last edited:
Ok Now, just got the notice in the mail today next meeting is open to the public ! Oct 15th. 6:30 Pm Town Hall.
Anyone wishing a news letter can email : [email protected]

Lets see if our voice has made any headway. We need a strong turnout and people willing to think out of the box. At least the powers to be are willing to hear our concerns & hopefully find a middle ground.

Agenda for 15th:
http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/meetingnotices/CONSERVATION COMMISSION 10-15.pdf

A. Public hearing on the proposed operation plan for the Town of Barnstable shooting range, changes to Ch. 702 shooting range regulations, as well as new hours of operation and fees for the reopening of the shooting range to public use at the West Barnstable Conservation Area.
Note: Public comment will be taken on permit fees.

As a side note, although I'm glad they are putting this stuff at the beginning of the meetings, I kind of feel bad for anyone there for other business!

Called Barnstable offices on Friday asking about a reopening date.

They said they hoped "before the end of the year"

It would be nice to see it get opened back up again soon. My wife just got her permit, she's excited to shoot, and we only live about a mile away.
I am concerned with the idea of the RO, however. One of the best things about the range was you got left alone...which on the flip side of the coin brought some unsafe handling.
It would be nice to have a RO that would put a stop to the muzzle pointing and the dickheads that shot out that plexi-glass, but i'm afraid the town is intent to have a RO who's intent on sucking every ounce of enjoyment out of the place.

The proposed hours absolutely blow.

Last edited:
^Then don't contribute your money. As a resident, the fees are somewhat reasonable. As a non-resident, there are much better deals elsewhere.

The town was pretty much mandated to keep it as a firing range. They have managed to do that, but also managed to turn it into a 'resident's only' range, if by actions and not by words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is going to take on that kind of responsibility for that pay rate, and have the required qualifications?

Next delay excuse will be that they can't fill the positions needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think enough qualified range officers will apply, and I am one who has submitted an application. Even though I am not a regular user of the range, I would like to see it remain open and have long felt that range officers would be an improvement. The small salary is not the reason I am applying, but my interest in keeping it open as a place to shoot for gun owners who do not care to join a club. I also volunteer my time as a range officer at a private gun club. We put range officers in place about four years ago, and frankly at first I was not sure it was a good idea. But I soon had a change of heart and I think most of our shooters feel the same. We do not spend our time hovering over shooters, but make sure the clubs safety procedures are followed.

CapeCodder you sound like a good person, I would love to use that range in the summer the Cape is such an awesome place, but I can't go for the cost and keep my club membership, I wish you luck and thank you for helping folks.

Tim [thumbsup]

Talked to the office yesterday when I went in for this years shellfish permit and they say "still a few months probably but its not their fault, the state is holding things up now" I thought it was conservation that wants a 30 acre land trade holding it up? Why do the cops get to use it? They were there yesterday shooting........

Yes they were.....sounded like a choir of FA (at least 762 nato) for a good couple hours. Public sector inefficiency at its finest. Open the f'n place already !!

Looks like the Police have a nice shooting range without any "civilians" running around and getting in their way now...mmmmm

actually walked down to the range today and there was no evidence of anybody being there shooting. Only one set of tire tracks since the rain the other day, no brass on the ground nor were there even any backboards up. No impacts on the backdrop either so not sure where this shooting noise could have been coming from........................

actually walked down to the range today and there was no evidence of anybody being there shooting. Only one set of tire tracks since the rain the other day, no brass on the ground nor were there even any backboards up. No impacts on the backdrop either so not sure where this shooting noise could have been coming from........................

Thanks Sherlock....Can you bring the hounds to Otis to see if you get any hits...Im loosing sleep trying to source the noise

A retired neighbor of mine whom is also an instructor just got the job as one of the range officers there,supposedly opening in April at some point.

Back
Top Bottom