Best 45 ACP in MA for home defense

I'll put in another vote for the Glock 21. Full size frame and an easy shooting gun plus there is the benefit of the 13 round magazines and pre-ban mags exist in sufficient quantities to be available for decent money.

Whatever you decide, IMO use Remington Golden Sabers, 185 gr. rounds. Very controllable; good stopping ability.

M&P 45, night sights, sig low profile rail mounted laser, 2 mags full of golden saber, and a surefire flashlight sitting in the drawer next to it. At least that is what I use!

The .357 will go through your home and neighbors home. Not cool. Your alternative is 38 or38+p. You don't really thing that the 38 holds a candle to a 250 grain 45colt round do you?

I would tend to avoid the 1911 platforms. The simple reason is the fumble factor, unless you are willing to practice mastering the manual of arms of going off safe, in excess of 5,000 times for muscle memory to sink in.

In terms of availability I would suggest a Sig P220 or an M&P 45 with a trigger job or an Apex kit. A more economical alternative would be a used 3rd Gen S&W 45 DA .45. or a Second Gen 645. These are excellent durable and reliable guns, built like tanks and reasonably priced. IMO they make great home defense pistol

yvemytah.jpg

Xds45 ..... Thinner then the g30 sure it's less rounds but name another 45 you can pocket Carry.

My vote goes to the g30. While I do have a 21, I find I shoot the g30 much better. This pic was from yesterday at 12 yards. That is just about all the way across most houses. So it serves for home defense quite well.

- - - Updated - - -

For me it's a no brainer, my M&P45FS, 10rds of hurt, 2 mags on the side, that's 30 rds in a hurry ... add in some night sights, which to me really isn't all that necessary, slap a good light on the rail cause you really want to see what you are shooting and call it self defense at it's finest!! The investment is reasonable and the fun factor at the range is as good as any 45acp.. next to my Berretta CX4 Storm carbine... that's a lotta firepower!!!

Oh ya... guys.. he's looking for home defense.... not pocket carry....

Last edited:
Any pistol which is DA only or striker fired. Glocks are great since there is no safety to mess around with but are more difficult to obtain in MA. Have your considered a >357 magnum revolver? Plenty of power and always goes bang.

I'd also look at a full size USP in 45.

I Just handled one of those last night at Guns Inc.... beautiful gun, felt similar to my M&P45fs... on[grin]ly more than double the price... but it came with night sights and I think 3 mags... hmmmm, I'll stick with my M&P and maybe pickup another BG and a nice tactical Mossy 590 with a 9 plus 1 tube ext... [grin]

Back
Top Bottom