• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best option shotgun injured shoulder advice

10" sawed-off with pistol grip. My friend had one and a cgief trying to bang his mother saw it and said it is a 10 year stretch in the big house. He got rid if it a few days later. I would have loved to shoot it. If you gi that route, keep it at home.

Hey there NES,

So I blew out my shoulder about year and half ago dislocated my right shoulder and broke it sport accident. I am a right dominate and righty in general and I am looking for an option for both home self defense and range long gun. I think a 12 gauge would not be a good idea and looking at possibly a 20 gauge as an option but also open to other ideas if it would make a good home defense firearm. I live in Mass and I don't believe 18.5 inch barrels are legal I could be wrong I will check into it. Any thoughts of a good option?

Thanks all
20 gauge is plenty for home defense. A 20 gauge rifled slug has more than twice the energy of a .44 magnum.

Keep the shotgun you own and know...
Knoxx Comp Stock lessens felt recoil quite a bit by using an internal spring and cam roller...

(cut-away view of internals)
1592762813630.png
1592762881843.png

They also make a tele-stock with a pistol grip. They don't review as well as the 'Comp' version though.

1592763136985.png

I have a "comp" and was using it after I had a chest surgery, and was shooting it a month after a triple-bypass. Soft...

BlackHawk Knoxx CompStock Shotgun Stock has been received with enthusiasm by sportsmen, competitive shooters and law enforcement due to its ability to dramatically reduce recoil with light and heavy loads. Law enforcement officers, required to qualify with a shotgun, will find the CompStock by Blackhawk Tactical the secret to higher scores and better field results. Hunters and competitive shooters will find their scores and hit ratios improving as flinching and recoil anticipation dramatically decreases.
Laboratory tests conclude that the improved patented recoil reducing system of the Blackhawk CompStock actually slows the entire recoil cycle down and absorbs more than 54% of the net peak recoil. Using a cam roller extension spring the Blackhawk Knoxx CompStock system removes painful recoil.
The Knoxx CompStock Gun Stock by Blackhawk Tactical is the ideal choice for those seeking a recoil reducing stock in a traditional design. Packaged with a rubber overmolded forend, this Shooting Accessory is the perfect solution to the problem of recoil.

Available Models of BlackHawk CompStock Shotgun Stock:

• K05100-C: BlackHawk Knoxx Comp Stock Shotgun Stock for Rem870, 12g
  • K05200-C: BlackHawk CompStock Knoxx Gun Stock for Moss 12g Pump Varities
  • K05300-C: BlackHawk Knoxx Comp Stock Shotgun Stock for Win1300, 12-20g

Last edited:
with your physical limitations i'd seriously look at the s&w governor. some of the .410 defense loads being offered pack a punch at the close ranges you'd be shooting at in a home invasion.

as far as a light on a home defense firearm, i resisted that myself for a long time. then i got to thinking having a light can only help me during my trial if it ever came to that and i had to use my firearm for self defense. no one could stand up in court and say i was carelessly and recklessly firing blindly into the dark night but i was illuminating my target. sadly we have to think like this in massachusetts.

and besides, you don't want to use a light...who says you have to turn it on? i'm sure a mortally wounded perp isn't gonna snitch.

I roll my own home defense ammo in 12G with 9 or 12 pellets of #1 buck and red dot. If I recal correctly I'm using the powder bushing on the Lee shot shell loader that they recommend for 1-1/8oz. load of #7 or #8 shot. Works out to be a very soft shooting round, especially with the 9 pellet load.
If you messed around with your own loads you could probably come up with something that'll do the job without beating up your shoulder.

I tore my right rotator cuff in a bicycling accident a long time ago. I put a recoil reducing stock on a Rem 870 Police Magnum (retired PD gun) and can shoot that thing all day long with no pain.
Similar to this: BlackHawk Knoxx Specops Gen 3 Shotgun Stock, w/Recoil Suppression Technology Up to 20% Off w/ Free S&H — 2 models

MA CAUTION: It is a collapsible stock so only legal on a pump action shotgun, illegal (AWB) on a semi-auto shotgun.
Illegal, unless pinned, right?

Nope, only semi-autos can be so-called AWs, states as much in MGL. So you can do anything you want to a pump-action shotgun (NOTE: Mags are a different issue however).
The pump part I understood. You said illegal on semi, I was confirming that if you pinned it on a semi it would be OK, yes?

I am surprised that no one had mentioned reduced recoil loads.
Here is an example though other manufacturers make similar. Your best bet will be pump action with these. Best of luck. Matt
1592881455543.png

1592881502075.png

Hey there NES,

So I blew out my shoulder about year and half ago dislocated my right shoulder and broke it sport accident. I am a right dominate and righty in general and I am looking for an option for both home self defense and range long gun. I think a 12 gauge would not be a good idea and looking at possibly a 20 gauge as an option but also open to other ideas if it would make a good home defense firearm. I live in Mass and I don't believe 18.5 inch barrels are legal I could be wrong I will check into it. Any thoughts of a good option?

Thanks all
My two cents worth for home defense is to practice shooting from the hip.

The pump part I understood. You said illegal on semi, I was confirming that if you pinned it on a semi it would be OK, yes?
You are correct. You can always pin a collapsible/folding stock on any post-ban gun to make it legal.

My two cents worth for home defense is to practice shooting from the hip.
Ouch! We had to do that only once during a police qualification and my ribs hurt for a week.

1593019554370.png
1593019565275.png
^ Not my photos, but my setup (except anti-walk trigger block screws)
1593020032156.png

Genuine Shockwave Technologies "Raptor" grip on sale now and in stock for $9.99 (reg $29.95)
Raptor for 870

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom