• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bird guns

Going on a quail hunt in a month or so.

Never held on to a 12guage very long. What's a good gun for birds?

Whatever fits you best is the right answer. Do you want a nice O/U or pump semi so many choices. Do you want something dual purpose? Will you hunt birds often ? Need more info
Idk we will see how i like it.. probably will keep shooting birds and want to get back into clays

I loved the silver pigeon i shot clays with once but I'm not dropping 2500 lol

Budget is 500

Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 would do the trick or used Remington 1100 you may find a old Savage 311 sxs or Sears made Zoli o/u for that kinda of money.
I personally would go with the Remington 870 it is a so all plenty of barrels available if you want HD barrel or longer trap barrel etc.

Where are you hunting the quail? Around here or somewhere else? The one thing that would absolutely suck is getting a used gun with the wrong fixed choke. You don't want a full choke up close nor an open choke like Skeet or cylinder bore for far out.

If you don't know yet, get a new Mossberg 500 and bring your chokes and wrench with you.

+1 for the mossberg 500.
Not as cheap as they used to be, but can probably still be had in your price range if you look hard enough.

Problem is guys like me will probably never sell them. Got mine with a 28" vent rib & a 24" rifled barrel.

Where are you hunting the quail? Around here or somewhere else? The one thing that would absolutely suck is getting a used gun with the wrong fixed choke. You don't want a full choke up close nor an open choke like Skeet or cylinder bore for far out.

If you don't know yet, get a new Mossberg 500 and bring your chokes and wrench with you.
Middle of Florida

Who are you hunting with? Are they experienced? If so, ask them. If you're hunting over dogs, a 20 would work - quail are easy to hit too hard.

I'd bring one of my Parkers, assuming it was a walking-around hunt (carries wonderfully). If I was sitting in a blind, I'd probably bring an A5, 'cuz I'm old. [laugh]

Who are you hunting with? Are they experienced? If so, ask them. If you're hunting over dogs, a 20 would work - quail are easy to hit too hard.

I'd bring one of my Parkers, assuming it was a walking-around hunt (carries wonderfully). If I was sitting in a blind, I'd probably bring an A5, 'cuz I'm old. [laugh]
Ill ask i think it's one of those fancy camps... it's a vendor sponsored trip lol

I've never hunted before so I'm asking for opinions

Ill ask i think it's one of those fancy camps... it's a vendor sponsored trip lol

I've never hunted before so I'm asking for opinions
The "What fits you" is the right answer, but it's tough if you don't have some to try. If it's a Guntry Club setup, perhaps they have equipment that you can use?

Since you've never hunted....do you need a license (private property may be exempt; I don't know FL laws), and if so, how will you go about getting one?

Seriously, if it's a fancy place, they may have facilities for people without all the "right" equipment.

Buy a CZ 1012 and be done with it. Its slightly above your budget but not by much. Inertia drive no bullshit comes with all the chokes, etc.

Then get shopping!!!! A shop or three likely to have a big rack to point to get a feel of and buy.
I was stupidly i admit looking for real world anecdotes on what is a gun forum.

There's thing i don't know about hunting that i could grab a shotty that feels good and have it not be practical for hunting.

So i figured id ask a gun forum lol for what they use.

I'm interested in this as well. I have a Remington versa-max that I bought a few years ago for everything shotgun related. So far I have only used it for turkey and a few clays. But now that I am living in bird country I am very, very interested in bird hunting. The remi is a great gun but I am interested in thoughts about an O/U or side by side. I also need to check the laws. I believe some areas require you to insert a plug or something if your weapon can shoot more than three rounds. Don't quote me on that one though.

I was stupidly i admit looking for real world anecdotes on what is a gun forum.

There's thing i don't know about hunting that i could grab a shotty that feels good and have it not be practical for hunting.

So i figured id ask a gun forum lol for what they use.
I have a few Browning and Beretta options I will never get rid of.
My point was more like get a feel for what catches your eye and pick it up. Point it a few times. Are you having to adjust yourself to make the gun point with the rest of you? Your clothing also can effect this.

In your price range a 12 gauge Mossberg 500, Remington 870 Or older 1100 or 1148 with a modified choke. Those are all versatile proven shotguns.
Don’t limit yourself to 12’s for quail 20,16 or any 12 gauge would be fine. It’s more about the choke and loads.

You will probably see people down there using newer Benelli autoloaders or maybe O/U that are above your budget.

For under $500 I would find a Ithaca lightweight 16 gauge with a modified choke. Great guns and easy to carry all day.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom