• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bubba attacks!

Soxfan9

NES Member
I was at AFS today and saw a couple of sporterized mosins in the rack. They were both Remingtons [crying]. The only thing worse was the $200 price tag on each [rolleyes]. I would have thought about rescuing what was left of them if not for the ridiculous price.

There was a good number of Remington Mosins that popped up with chopped barrels already. I don't know where they came from but restoring them to original is almost impossible unless someone uses the receiver and has an original barrel.
You should check out the crazy device Madmarc and the guys from Zero Hour made from one of the chopped beaters. Looks like its right out of Mad Max.[laugh]

There was a good number of Remington Mosins that popped up with chopped barrels already. I don't know where they came from but restoring them to original is almost impossible unless someone uses the receiver and has an original barrel.
You should check out the crazy device Madmarc and the guys from Zero Hour made from one of the chopped beaters. Looks like its right out of Mad Max.[laugh]

They are probably consignments, so you could probably haggle the price down a bit.

After WWI, a NY military surplus house - Bannerman's converted a bunch of mosins to .30-06. The conversion was not done to modern standards, and there is a great variation in chamber dimensions. Per Lapin's book:

"These converted Mosin-Nagant rifles can be very dangerous and should not be fired; they are best kept as collector's display items. The author and publisher recommend that the firing pin be cut off or removed so that the rifle cannot be fired."

I would imagine the receiver would be stamped with the new caliber following the conversion, but I'm not certain.

After WWI, a NY military surplus house - Bannerman's converted a bunch of mosins to .30-06. The conversion was not done to modern standards, and there is a great variation in chamber dimensions. Per Lapin's book:

"These converted Mosin-Nagant rifles can be very dangerous and should not be fired; they are best kept as collector's display items. The author and publisher recommend that the firing pin be cut off or removed so that the rifle cannot be fired."

I would imagine the receiver would be stamped with the new caliber following the conversion, but I'm not certain.

Interesting. I did not look at them too closely. I probably wont be in that area any time soon to check them out more. The mosinnagant.net link was a good read.

I'll read the article later, but . . .

Jon, why not start a new Sticky on "warnings" such as this (and the weak action 1903s, etc.) so those with less knowledge can easily find what to look out for while drooling over a mil-surp find??

Thanks.

Jon, why not start a new Sticky on "warnings" such as this (and the weak action 1903s, etc.) so those with less knowledge can easily find what to look out for while drooling over a mil-surp find??

Thanks.

Thats a good idea. Throw in the differences between 7.62 NATO ammo and .308 Winchester too.

M4M, you can start it if you wish and one of us will make it a Sticky.

Let's just restrict that thread to useful info and no banter, OK.

I'd gladly do another safety issue thread if I knew the issues with 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester. I was hoping someone would chime in and it'd get made sticky because I know a little about the differences, just not enough to make a post on them. I'd like to know too.[grin]

Thanks.

I'd be happy to do one on the 03s.

I was at AFS today and saw a couple of sporterized mosins in the rack. They were both Remingtons [crying].

Maybe you shouldn't look at the Mosin on the bottom of the picture. It's a 1917 Remington!, and at one point (mostly worn off) had a nickle plated barrel and action. My father picked it up when he was stationed in Alaska in 71' and took some nice animals with it!

RussianRifles002.jpg

Maybe you shouldn't look at the Mosin on the bottom of the picture. It's a 1917 Remington!, and at one point (mostly worn off) had a nickle plated barrel and action. My father picked it up when he was stationed in Alaska in 71' and took some nice animals with it!

I appreciate a nice sporter. It gets frustrating when you come across something that has been sporterized and think "what if it was left as it was?"
My Grandfather has a K98 that was sporterized in the 60's. It is, like yours a nice hunting rifle, but I would like to have seen it before it was modified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom