Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Let me take a look at one of my 6 gangers

If you don't have the right tools let me know - I can plunge a carbide endmill then drill it out and hit it with an ez-out.
I might take you up on that offer. I’m going to check with my buddy that came to the seminar to see if his dad or brother have the right tools, which they might. Wonder if M&P would have this mold in brass without the lube grooves.

Got it extracted without to much effort. Took the dremel and made a slot and turned it like a screw. Little bit of work but it worked and it’s been extracted. Now to wait till I get the parts from lee or I borrow one from a different mold. I scored the slot a few times cause those bolts are very mild steel. Still thinking of a brass version of this mold because this bullet is awesome in my 1911.

006F271F-3EB3-45D4-98CE-477C0F998E50.jpeg
8D2D5F40-490E-481B-8F42-9AD5D857E1C8.jpeg

Sold out right now but if you put in your email he will notify you when it’s back in stock.

The more people that ping a mould the more likely he is to make a run of them next.

You will be spoiled when you use one of his moulds though. The only two I have used that cast better was an old H&G 4 cavity in that exact design and a custom mould from accurate. That thing was amazing.

Nice! I was figuring that would probably do the trick but you specified 200. The 185 isn’t much lighter but it’s a well known good shooter. You’re going to love it.

The solids are 200gr and the HP’s are 185 and I was more then happy with the four cavity mold due to the weight. Ended up running $143 but well worth it. I picked up the 8mm last summer and it worked great. You can never have enough molds. Feeling another casting spree tonight.

The solids are 200gr and the HP’s are 185 and I was more then happy with the four cavity mold due to the weight. Ended up running $143 but well worth it. I picked up the 8mm last summer and it worked great. You can never have enough molds. Feeling another casting spree tonight.
Ahh that’s right. You gain some weight back with the lube groove gone.

I prefer to cast the HP in the HP moulds. Casting flat point pins don’t drop out as well in my experience. All the more reason to get a block of clear ballistic gel and play that game till the 6 cavity solid solid moulds become available again!

That was over two nights and tonight was only four pots. I did figure out and corrected some bad practices. I noticed I have a habit of cutting the sprue and not fully opening which leads to lead build up near the pivot bolt. That is was I was trying to fix when I broke the bolt. So I stopped filling the cavity near the pivot bolt and made sure to fully open so it stayed clean. I have the feel for when the mold gets to hot and I slow it down. This mold rains the bullets out with a gentle tap while opening.

I find it fascinating that the lube hangs onto those boolits that much out of the barrel never mind into gel. But that lube is harder flowing than some i would imagine rite?
Very educational you magnificent bastard
Hahahaha.
I think part of the reason being this is a stiffer lube that is very tacky. The other part being that traditional lube groove specs tend to be wayyy too big for our modern lubes.
Supposedly the older designs had larger grooves and needed it so you could fit a ton of the basic lubes that didn’t do as good a job. Also black powder loads needed a lot of lube to keep fouling soft.

Now you see Lee lube grooves are minuscule and with a decent lube they work out fine.

I’ve shot this carnauba red lube up to 1800 FPS and down to about 500 fps with no leading at either end. I think they say you can push it to 2700 fps.

Is the caranuba red a lube you have to warm before you fill the grooves? And any tips it the bullets have a beveled based. I going to be lubing the tray of bullets above? Should I lube them all and store or just lube on demand?

15 pounds of 9’s coated and on stage to be baked today.

Is the caranuba red a lube you have to warm before you fill the grooves? And any tips it the bullets have a beveled based. I going to be lubing the tray of bullets above? Should I lube them all and store or just lube on demand?

15 pounds of 9’s coated and on stage to be baked today.
Yes it needs a little heat. I have a heated base now but I used to just point a 100 watt incandescent light bulb at my sizer for a while.

If you’re lube is just soft enough to flow and the die adjusted properly you should be fine with the bevel base.

I lube everything up as soon as I can. I don’t like storing bullets unless they’re ready to rock

Yes it needs a little heat. I have a heated base now but I used to just point a 100 watt incandescent light bulb at my sizer for a while.

If you’re lube is just soft enough to flow and the die adjusted properly you should be fine with the bevel base.

I lube everything up as soon as I can. I don’t like storing bullets unless they’re ready to rock
This - with bevel base it's about getting the right temperature and pressure on the lube
You want it to flow but slow enough that it only flows into the lube grooves when you pause at the bottom of the lube stroke - that's where Star sizers shine because they only pump the lube when the lube groove is in place over the lube holes in the die.

Back
Top Bottom