Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Scored a couple cool tools.
An old Ideal 358432. 158 (IIRC) grain button nosed wadcutter single cavity mould with handles in the box.
A Lyman 310 tong tool in 22 Hornet. So now I need to buy a 22 Hornet rifle.
Last but not least a cool old Colt’s Patent combination mould for a 36 caliber black powder revolver. This one was in pretty awesome condition considering the age. I read that there were a few variations over the years but I haven’t dug too deep in that yet. I’m going to venture a guess that these were most if not all pre 1900. View attachment 375711View attachment 375712View attachment 375713View attachment 375714
Nice, i hit every yardsale I could find yesterday in my travels. Some random stuff and hints of gun stuff so i ask. Three places all said same thing. No idea what dad/grand dad did with the gun stuff.
Scored a new laddle and a small piece of pewter for $1

Nice, i hit every yardsale I could find yesterday in my travels. Some random stuff and hints of gun stuff so i ask. Three places all said same thing. No idea what dad/grand dad did with the gun stuff.
Nice! I try to do the same thing. You never know what’s hiding at a yard sale.
I pick up more solder than anything. I have a few gallon containers filled with solder rolls. I never pay more than a dollar or so per roll. I have a lifetime supply. That doesn’t stop me from buying more though.

Nice! I try to do the same thing. You never know what’s hiding at a yard sale.
I pick up more solder than anything. I have a few gallon containers filled with solder rolls. I never pay more than a dollar or so per roll. I have a lifetime supply. That doesn’t stop me from buying more though.
If its cheap keep buying it....

The alloy I’m using is 2.5-3% SB. Should I throw in some SN into the pot and cast some 8mm and some 3.12’s? I have plenty of pewter I picked up before I started.

Next question .... does the diameter go up slightly after you cast and coat and let the bullets sit a while. Reason I ask is I casted/coated the 8mm a while back and when I GC’d and sized a few weeks ago they seemed smaller. I GC’d and sized the same lot the other day and the coating seemed thinner after going through the Lee sizing die. Could just be me and the lighting in the room but I figured I would ask. Some reason a little lead in the Milsurp doesn’t bother me as much as my 1911.

Awesome video by the way.
Another thought that does not get brought up much is you might be spinning the bullet to fast. iirc mausers are what 1/9 Again If I remember right lead bullets cap out around 120,00- 145,000 rpm depending on alloy.
I tried pushing my cast loads in my garand over 2000fps and was getting lead clouds at about 15 yards. under 1900 fps bullets hit the target.
just getting back to trying to find a accurate load from the M1 with cast loads.

Another underlying issues is the jump to the lands with cast bullets. just trying to load to max length to fit the mag on the garand my bullet choices are hanging out of the case let alone get close to the lands.

Another thought that does not get brought up much is you might be spinning the bullet to fast. iirc mausers are what 1/9 Again If I remember right lead bullets cap out around 120,00- 145,000 rpm depending on alloy.
I tried pushing my cast loads in my garand over 2000fps and was getting lead clouds at about 15 yards. under 1900 fps bullets hit the target.
just getting back to trying to find a accurate load from the M1 with cast loads.

Another underlying issues is the jump to the lands with cast bullets. just trying to load to max length to fit the mag on the garand my bullet choices are hanging out of the case let alone get close to the lands.
Very good point. That is a fast twist.

Larry Gibson on castboolits did some great talks and comparisons between rifles to find the RPM threshold.
Using custom slow twist barrels he was able to up his velocity a ton with the same .308 cartridge.
Using a 12 twist allows for 300+ FPS higher velocity for the same RPMs.

He goes into pressure and obturation, nose slump and all kinds of stuff like that too. Very cool read

Very good point. That is a fast twist.

Larry Gibson on castboolits did some great talks and comparisons between rifles to find the RPM threshold.
Using custom slow twist barrels he was able to up his velocity a ton with the same .308 cartridge.
Using a 12 twist allows for 300+ FPS higher velocity for the same RPMs.

He goes into pressure and obturation, nose slump and all kinds of stuff like that too. Very cool read
right for the milsurps you reach the threshold around 1900 fps 1/10 twist barrels.

Estate sales are also good.

I score a lot of Pewter at those. If its not a collectible, the hard-core guys that arrive at like 3am and camp won't touch it.

Nice! I’m hearing that’s a very accurate bullet.
I am shooting a lot of it in front the of Unique. I started at 10gr (not consistent) but am up to 12.5 with pretty good results. My biggest problem is, frankly, I am a terrible shot.
So when i have a good grouping, you know that it is not me and has to be the ammo

I am shooting a lot of it in front the of Unique. I started at 10gr (not consistent) but am up to 12.5 with pretty good results. My biggest problem is, frankly, I am a terrible shot.
So when i have a good grouping, you know that it is not me and has to be the ammo
I’m right there with you. I’m not the best shot and I don’t like shooting groups or using optics.
So as long as it hits the 12” steel 9/10 at 200 yards then I consider it accurate.

I’m right there with you. I’m not the best shot and I don’t like shooting groups or using optics.
So as long as it hits the 12” steel 9/10 at 200 yards then I consider it accurate.
shooting 5.7moa with iron sights is not terrible. That would be a 270/300 for cmp games if you only hit the 9 ring ....splash 5 moa is around the center of that black dot and your bound to miss the 9 ring and land some 10s and Xs

shooting 5.7moa with iron sights is not terrible. That would be a 270/300 for cmp games if you only hit the 9 ring ....splash 5 moa is around the center of that black dot and your bound to miss the 9 ring and land some 10s and Xs
Good to know. I’ve always felt like “not terrible” was a good place to be in life

Hit the range with the chronograph this morning. Interesting results - not certain if the lights effected the results but I got a bunch of readings from the lights setting up.

Need to up the speed on most of my loads (loaded low to test new powder and bullet combos)

Surprise was some 9mm 90g XTP over 231 - 1280fps and not near max

A couple of fails to feed on 45 - could see and feel the slide slowing down going into battery.

Also need to figure out how to get the data off my phone (or build a recorder with an Arduino)

Hit the range with the chronograph this morning. Interesting results - not certain if the lights effected the results but I got a bunch of readings from the lights setting up.

Need to up the speed on most of my loads (loaded low to test new powder and bullet combos)

Surprise was some 9mm 90g XTP over 231 - 1280fps and not near max

A couple of fails to feed on 45 - could see and feel the slide slowing down going into battery.

Also need to figure out how to get the data off my phone (or build a recorder with an Arduino)
My Crony brand crony is awful in changing light. i dont use it much these days , more so now for airrifle repair/mods. I ended up using a old plastic bin for diffuser. Just a bit cumbersome to haul around.

Casted up a few pounds of lyman 314299 for use in the bigger 30 cals
303, 7.7 jap , 54r . Water quench to 18bhn . Run through the 314 sizer to lube and seat gas check. Been a long time since I ran the mosin.
I need to locate a 309 and 310 sizer for my lyman 450.
Im going to run a test batch of this bullet sized to 309” through the M1the nose of this bullet is a touch under .300” im hoping the nose riding quality helps with accuracy.
B2A5FDE6-6F3C-477E-BB30-A7BC6D3E37A9.jpeg

Just coated my first batch of boolits with Hi-Tek, some .44's that I've actually been sitting on since I attended a seminar. These are non gas check, deep groove bullets, and the grooves are pretty deep. I have missed some spots in the first coating- how to rectify that next time I shake up the batch? More mixed solution? More acetone in the solution?

Now I understand at least one reason bullets for Hi-Tek or powder coating don't have the deep grooves, LOL.

Just coated my first batch of boolits with Hi-Tek, some .44's that I've actually been sitting on since I attended a seminar. These are non gas check, deep groove bullets, and the grooves are pretty deep. I have missed some spots in the first coating- how to rectify that next time I shake up the batch? More mixed solution? More acetone in the solution?

Now I understand at least one reason bullets for Hi-Tek or powder coating don't have the deep grooves, LOL.
You don’t need to fill the grooves. As long as the bearing surface is coated evenly you’re ok.
If you want go coat the groove to make it look good then thin down the coating and use a little more of it.

Here's the Monson era Dan Wesson 44VH and a batch of cast just coated in Zombie Green Hi-Tech:

dMDHZvR.jpg

I may have slightly overcooked the coating, giving it a little more brown tint. Definitely a gross zombie color, in 'honor' of all the sewer rat zombies who are pillaging our blue cities.

Here's the Monson era Dan Wesson 44VH and a batch of cast just coated in Zombie Green Hi-Tech:

dMDHZvR.jpg

I may have slightly overcooked the coating, giving it a little more brown tint. Definitely a gross zombie color, in 'honor' of all the sewer rat zombies who are pillaging our blue cities.
looking forward to the leading report[pot]

Been working on a cast load for the M1 garand off and on over the past few years.
I want 100% function and minute of 10 ring of a SR target.
I can get one or the other but still cant get the 2 in the same place.
I started with 3031 and varget a few years back. Both could group 2.5 in UNTIL charges high enough to cycle.
Decided to give H4895 a try.
My test load was 35 grains of H4895 and 200 grain .310 gas checked andcluned bulley. I did not use a spot so no idea where in the line up the 10 oclock flyer came in the order.
Not bad but I had 6 out of 8 not pick up the next round.
I will load 36 and 37 next and see what happens
4BB062F4-5A8A-48D0-B4B4-8FBE8BC2D97D.jpeg
Would like to find a load so I can shoot at least one CMP match with the garand and use Poozzzay loads....

Back
Top Bottom