• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying land just for the sake of buying land?

520h8d.jpg

@MGnoob
Got to be kidding, you can’t cut down a tree in Massachusetts so all about the stumps....You’ve got no idea once the masks come off I’ll be ready to go to court. I want to post a whole f***ing 3 1/2 your episode over bullshit. You don’t have any rights

Anyone own land just to own land? With no intent on using it anytime in the near future? Looking around the country, there is some cheap land. I know it's cheap for a reason. Water/resources/proximity to things.

But the prices are tempting.
Wish I had “for the sake of it” $$$$

So I'll comment on these as I've actually checked them out. Yes, I know you're just dropping them in here as an example of available decently priced land so I'm not criticizing.

On the Ellsworth property: I didn't go in there, but know that cell coverage drops to nothing when you leave Ellsworth Hill and turn onto Willey. Also, when I finally identified the property via google earth, Landglide, LandGrid, and OnX Hunt, there may be some wetlands difficulties. It probably isn't impossible as I think the listing stated it had well and septic already. Navigate there on the wetlands mapper here: National Wetlands Inventory

The Campton location I am quite familiar with. It is actually on 175, not Lotus. A person will have west and south views as far as the eye can see. Problems, power lines run through it(not really a huge deal), but the property is STEEP-and will likely be cost prohibitive to build on.

Now the gem of that Campton location is the 84 acre parcel on the other side of the hill by the same seller. Lot 10-6-13 Page Road, #5, Campton, NH 03223 - NEREN

When you look at it on OnX Hunt it shows the 127 and 84 acre property as one large property. The listing agent has a survey showing the boundaries between the two lots.

The 84 acre Page road property has no easements, looks east, south, north east, and possibly west with cutting, has an aprox 1 acre cleared off flat spot at the top for an ideal home site, has something that could become a driveway running up to it, has great cell coverage, electricity, and Spectrum high speed internet at the pole right at the base of the property, has no deed restrictions,-it is nice. I've walked most of it, did a bunch of other research on it, and almost bought it. The reason I didn't is Page Rd turns into a Class VI road 1000' prior to the property. Normally this isn't a huge deal-get BOS approval to build and all road maintence is on you. Campton is super strict on Class VI road building and their policy on their webpage is worth a read. Their board minutes are also worth reading. To build there, I would have to 1 request permission to improve the road, 2 improve 1000+ feet of road to the standards layed out in their policy, 3 request to build where Campton has publicly stated they don't want people to build >200' from a Class V road, and then 4 build knowing that you are also on the hook for about 1/4 mile of driveway which should be paved due to the hill. Of course anyone looking at land should already relaize that $2K an acre land in NH may have some additional cost or issues before building.

Knowing the the Campton 127 and 84 acre lots have been listed for awhile and speaking informally with the listing agent in a separate conversation later, somebody could probably grab one or both of those lots for for a bit of a discount. She is well aware of prospective buyers discussing how steep the 127 acre piece is and the Class VI road problems on the 84 Acre side.

Got to be kidding, you can’t cut down a tree in Massachusetts so all about the stumps....You’ve got no idea once the masks come off I’ll be ready to go to court. I want to post a whole f***ing 3 1/2 your episode over bullshit. You don’t have any rights

If you have enough wooded acreage (>10 acres) you can put it into Chapter 61, which will exempt you from a lot of of the MA Wetlands Protection Act.

If you have enough wooded acreage (>10 acres) you can put it into Chapter 61, which will exempt you from a lot of of the MA Wetlands Protection Act.
Rather than ask Mike Downey, what info can I glean from what you know about the things you can avoid? Is there a list of things that are allowed like timbering, driving through, dredging, laying culverts, etc that can be done?

What would you all say is the minimum number of acres needed to be able to shoot on your own land? No suppressors of course.

technology pretty much eliminates the need for utilities. As long as you can drill for water, put in solar or wind or both you can be totally off the grid.

Satellite tv and internet services not the only issue is how far the store is for you to buy your milk/booze.
If you have enough land buy a cow and distill your own whiskey

yep that is a problem.
one thing that helps....if you have a fairly long driveway, so the house can not be seen from the road, and you put up a stout metal gate at the end of the driveway (the types the forest service uses to close down their dirt roads).

having neighbors helps some, but only if they are nearby. like you have a bunch of neighbors on 10 acre plots, they can pretty much notice if something is going bad. If they are too far away to not hear or see anything....not gonna help.

Helps if you only have a garage to lock up.....a full house i would be worrying about someone stripping out the copper wire for scrap, or copper piping if it is an older house.
My driveway is about 1/4 of a mile long and my house is lower than the top of my property. It is nice, no one really knows I’m there. 3C9C63E0-1296-4D78-BFF9-D617D9E38561.jpeg C4EFD615-CCFC-4A56-BA72-81EAC8CFC538.jpeg 3D5A206E-0061-4AC8-B8C2-0FAB33ED8DE2.jpeg

Lake > Pond

So drop dozens of random length steel pipes between 6" and say 3 or 4' all over the pond.

Then use a post hole digger to bury the real cache vertically oriented with the top at least 6' or so deep.

This is the best way to ensure nobody finds your stash of canned corn or whatever you're hiding

So drop dozens of random length steel pipes between 6" and say 3 or 4' all over the pond.

Then use a post hole digger to bury the real cache vertically oriented with the top at least 6' or so deep.

This is the best way to ensure nobody finds your stash of canned corn or whatever you're hiding
That’d be a lot of pipes to name...

I hear if you've living for like 30 years in one house,
that's a real bear when you decide to move somewhere else.

Not sure if it's all the digging,
or the nagging doubt,
"was there one more pipe from the year that prices ebbed...?".

I hear if you've living for like 30 years in one house,
that's a real bear when you decide to move somewhere else.

Not sure if it's all the digging,
or the nagging doubt,
"was there one more pipe from the year that prices ebbed...?".
Think "treasure map". Don't rely on fading memory.

No, that’s not how it works.
Wanta bet? I think I still have a file on an approved cutting plan in a swamp.
You may cross wetlands. I have that current plan on my desk. I also have trees painted right now on the edge of a waterway.
Try pulling that in this town thru the Cons Com within 50’ of any blue flags and without silt fence and a major Order Of Conditions. God help you if there is a vernal pool nearby. My last OOC said we couldn’t even fuel equipment in the buffer zone.
Chapter 61 eliminates 100% of their involvement and BS.

You may cross wetlands. I have that current plan on my desk. I also have trees painted right now on the edge of a waterway.
Try pulling that in this town thru the Cons Com within 50’ of any blue flags and without silt fence and a major Order Of Conditions. God help you if there is a vernal pool nearby. My last OOC said we couldn’t even fuel equipment in the buffer zone.

Yup, exactly. I do engineering work (site plans, septic designs, filings under the Wetlands Protection Act, etc.) as side work so I have a pretty good idea of what can and cannot be done. It is amazing what can be done under Chapter 61/61A. Have a house (property not under Chapter 61/61A) on a lake or river/stream and to cut/remove a single tree you may have to file a plan and Notice of Intent (NOI) -vs- forestland under Chapter 61 where you can actually cut trees in wetlands, cross streams without erosion controls to harvest timber on the other side, dredge a pond for irrigation, etc. - all with only a simple forest management plan, absent of any ConCon involvement.

Last edited:
My grandfather did this. 1/2 acre plots all around Florida that were a pain to get rid of. We still have 20 acres in La Pine Oregon. I think it was Army Corp of Engineering land (he worked for them) that was logged around 1960 and then sold off. It abuts BLM land, but it's almost impossible to build on, so it's only worth less then $50k. I hoping it gets re-zoned in the next couple of years.

There's not point in owning just to own. Either you think it's a good investment or it's something you can use for something.
I'm of the mind that I would never buy anything that I couldn't build a range on and fire guns on you should at least be able to get that use out of it....

I'm of the mind that I would never buy anything that I couldn't build a range on and fire guns on you should at least be able to get that use out of it....
It's funny; the one thing that the Northeast and Southeast and Mountains (and most Deserts) have
that the Great Plains and Florida seem short of is hills for good backstops.

Even if you find some ample acreage in Florida that's mostly gator-infested swamp
that will never be developed, you still have to nose up a berm with a bulldozer, no?

At least Mass has lots of property that admits of a range axis
where you're never gonna send a flyer into the next town -
the land sort of hugs you.

If you want a thousand yard range, that's stickier I admit.

It's funny; the one thing that the Northeast and Southeast and Mountains (and most Deserts) have
that the Great Plains and Florida seem short of is hills for good backstops.

Even if you find some ample acreage in Florida that's mostly gator-infested swamp
that will never be developed, you still have to nose up a berm with a bulldozer, no?

At least Mass has lots of property that admits of a range axis
where you're never gonna send a flyer into the next town -
the land sort of hugs you.

If you want a thousand yard range, that's stickier I admit.

Yeah, if you're in flat garbage you're pretty much stuck at short ranges or almost forced into one of those garbage NBS setups so someone doesnt die, etc.

In MA or NH you just find some chunk of land where the glacial till did its thing and you might have to move some earth but not nearly as much as you would otherwise.

Interesting...We’re also dealing with Massachusetts endagered species...Which is actually been one of the least painful parts of the process. We had the state Forester out. I think it might depend on what type of crossing we’re talking about....You can cross but you can’t put a bridge in at least not like I want to

I think the big issue I see with it is regardless of whether you’re exempt or not, after the fact the city has such a hard on for me filing a notice of intent.They never let it go. They’re already in forcing things that are outside of COM cons purview

I guess a mistake was made originally. But they’re just so worried that I’m gonna make the same mistake twice. Which I’m not going to...We do have a vernal pool as well...But that’s not the current issue were dealing with...

I’m still not convinced you can put in any crossing without a notice of intent regardless of 61a or 61B.For anything other than “forestry purposes”

Without a think comes down more to an issue of what your easements in right away is allow and not overburdening an easement....

I pay people to deal with this shit and it’s still always wrong

Last edited:
I keep think about this 61a 61b...Being exempt. I think there’s a little bit more to it than that. If you guys do this for a living want to PM me I’d love to run you by a couple ideas that I don’t wanna put an open form yet

No you can’t build a bridge. You may cross and operate machinery.
You are allowed to fulfill all obligations according to the terms outlined within the approved foresters plan. Any deviation from that requires the state foresters blessings.
Your cutter also has to be state approved. Joe Blow and Charlie Brown’s Tree and Landclearing can’t just show up and make it look like someone dropped a bomb.
Remember. The program is designed to enhance the woods and it’s value thru proven practice. It’s not a shortcut to do whatever the hell you want but the landowners input was asked by the forester and his plan should include as much of your wishes as possible before it was signed and approved by the state DCR office.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom