• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Calling all experts - can it be that I simply cannot handle Glock (19)? I shoot

sbi

perfect with my 92F. Granted, I shoot it since 1988.
Not so much with my new gen 4 G19. I shoot both with one eye and both eyes open - getting same result (as in the pic). The irony is that I shoot better with one hand (right handed) than I do with both hands. Yellow is what I hit (two hands) when aiming at the X. I tried to put a group at around 1-2 o'clock and they were grouped in the 9 circle.

Attachments

• 2014-06-01_144955.jpg
    2014-06-01_144955.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 459
Have you practiced the Glock trigger reset drill over and over and over and over? And without seeing a target, my initial guess would be jerking the trigger. Every Glock has the same amount of slack in the trigger pull. Take up the slack, squeeze, release until you hear/feel the click ( reset) and repeat. With the guys I work with, the more of your finger you can use to pull the trigger, the better.

Learn to shoot a S&W Shield with the stock trigger and you will be able to shoot anything!

Practice, practice, practice!

Chris

Have you practiced the Glock trigger reset drill over and over and over and over? And without seeing a target, my initial guess would be jerking the trigger. Every Glock has the same amount of slack in the trigger pull. Take up the slack, squeeze, release until you hear/feel the click ( reset) and repeat. With the guys I work with, the more of your finger you can use to pull the trigger, the better.

Yes, I have and firing when the trigger reconnects. I don't release it all the way through.

"The more of your finger"?! I was always taught to use the tip of the finger on the trigger.

You are not used to Glock pull and reset and pulling down and left. Try to control gun more with left hand and just concentrate on trigger with right. Also do the push-pull to lock gun in place.

Yes, I have and firing when the trigger reconnects. I don't release it all the way through.

"The more of your finger"?! I was always taught to use the tip of the finger on the trigger.
Yup. The more of your finger. Put the pad ( tip) of your finger on the trigger with your normal 2 handed grip. Look at the angle of your finger from your hand to the bend in your finger, it will be great ( to the right) of 90 degrees. Completely un natural. Now jam your finger in as far as you can get it, your finger will be parallel with the slide, and the trigger squeeze will be more natural. This coupled with the flinching ( we call it jerking) fixed every single shitty shooter on my dept when we transitioned to G21s last week. Mastering that trigger reset tightened up everyone's group to a man, or woman at my place. You were awesome with your 92F you said, which means your sight picture/ sight alignment is fine, but was the first ( DA) shot from your 92F on the money or was it " out"? Or did you cheat and cock the hammer haha?

You're flinching. Just stop flinching.

Correction chart for you:

flinching.jpg

Isn't everyone now?
nope. I get that it's a stable platform, if you're wearing body armor it presents more of it, and allows you to have better presentation. But shooting, moving, and communicating in a real world scenario isn't like the range. Your body knows its default mode when you're actually forced to return fire, I've found that it's your fighting stance. Call it an interview stance, modified Weaver, bladed, whatever. But if you get into the same stance you would use to throw a punch, you'll see its ideal for shooting as well. Rifle or pistol. Pivoting, walking, ( especially if you've done some boxing) is far easier than the isosceles. Give it a try.

Yup. The more of your finger. Put the pad ( tip) of your finger on the trigger with your normal 2 handed grip. Look at the angle of your finger from your hand to the bend in your finger, it will be great ( to the right) of 90 degrees. Completely un natural. Now jam your finger in as far as you can get it, your finger will be parallel with the slide, and the trigger squeeze will be more natural.

Fascinating. This is the exact opposite of what i learned from one of the top trainers out there. I do fine with the tip of finger approach, but I'll try a couple of targets with each approach next time I go to the range and see what happens.

nope. I get that it's a stable platform, if you're wearing body armor it presents more of it, and allows you to have better presentation. But shooting, moving, and communicating in a real world scenario isn't like the range. Your body knows its default mode when you're actually forced to return fire, I've found that it's your fighting stance. Call it an interview stance, modified Weaver, bladed, whatever. But if you get into the same stance you would use to throw a punch, you'll see its ideal for shooting as well. Rifle or pistol. Pivoting, walking, ( especially if you've done some boxing) is far easier than the isosceles. Give it a try.

Well said. And I am an Isosceles guy. It's what I teach my soldiers, it's how I shoot at paper and pop-ups, but you are right. Push come to shove, in a CQB situation, I am positive I will blade into a small target. At least while shooting and moving... IOT create a constant, stable, fighting posture.

My fighting stance is the same as my shooting stance.

You are telling me that isosceles is is hindering my ability to pivot and move?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating. This is the exact opposite of what i learned from one of the top trainers out there. I do fine with the tip of finger approach, but I'll try a couple of targets with each approach next time I go to the range and see what happens.
Its funny isn't it? Everyone that has an instructor hat on knows the best way, the other guys are retards. If you're shooting well with the pad ( or tip) , then excellent that works for you. If you're sucking, then it's time to try something different. If someone else can shoot their Glock well, then we know it's not the gun, it's the shooter. The pad ( tip) was a generally accepted way, no doubt, and works for many. But give that angle of your finger to slide a look, it looks incorrect. Shooting ( well) is such a perishable skill it's not funny, and cops are possibly the worst when it comes to practicing ( I have to buy my own rounds are you ****ing kidding me??? And PAY for a club membership???) so I've learned to teach shit they'll remember lol.

Last edited:
My fighting stance is the same as my shooting stance.

You are telling me that isosceles is is hindering my ability to pivot and move?

im not saying that at all. You appear to be pivoting and moving just fine ( except for the shot you took with just your right foot weighted, that was not a balanced platform). But you are shooting at plates. In a controlled environment. And if you're throwing punches from an isosceles stance, you may want to reassess lol
if you were to do a mag change like that in real life when rounds are headed your way, you'd be dead. You're learning great muscle memory for shooting steel plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we have a separate thread on isosceles vs Weaver? I'd be curious to follow it without clogging up this one.

im not saying that at all. You appear to be pivoting and moving just fine ( except for the shot you took with just your right foot weighted, that was not a balanced platform). But you are shooting at plates. In a controlled environment. And if you're throwing punches from an isosceles stance, you may want to reassess lol

why would I want a balanced platform? it is not need to make accurate hits and it adds time. My shooting stance is exactly the same as my krav maga stance. It is designed around being able to move aggressively

...you may want to reassess lol
if you were to do a mag change like that in real life when rounds are headed your way, you'd be dead. You're learning great muscle memory for shooting steel plates.

Yup, USPSA will get you killed in the streets.

I agree with this philosophy and is how I learned to shoot. I find it is more natural and repeatable, so would likely be more natural in a high stress situation too.

Back
Top Bottom