• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can Police Carry Automatic Knives on duty in Mass

I carry a Benchmade assisted opening knife for odds and ends. As far as switchblades, I fail to see the benefits over all the hassles.

I carry a Benchmade assisted opening knife for odds and ends. As far as switchblades, I fail to see the benefits over all the hassles.

+1. I carry a serrated Benchmade Griptilian with a tanto blade. The time difference on deploying an auto compared to an assisted opening is negligible. It's easier just to get what you know is legal.

This one bothers me.

It's analogous to saying, "why do you need more than 6 (or ten) shots? That's enough to have, nobody needs 15 shots!"

[rolleyes]

if somethign is legal, it's legal, even if it's "unpopular" in some circles. though I do understand the intent of the comment.
But it's not legal. That's what 5-0 was getting at.
As a practical matter, a regular lock blade with a stud, or a spring-assist will give you the same utility as an automatic knife, with less hassle.
Like ships passing in the night.

I carry one of two Kershaw spring assist knives. I see no advantages to an automatic knife; however, I would say that if authorised or issued by the chief of the department then an auto knife would be legal under 41/98

Pepper spray and / or a Glock? Never bring a knife to a gun fight. Not understanding the knife thing..

I carry a knife in each front pocket. In the event I get into a fight over my gun, one hand secures the firearm, the other goes to whichever pocket is available for a tool to assist with weapon retention.

Yes, I practice pulling them from both pockets. I used to routinely arrest groups of 30-40 people at a time and there is no way to maintain a 'safe' distance and maintain control of a group that large while alone.

The Army was actually issuing super awesome Benchmade full autos through supply up until around 2007. I just missed getting issued one on my deployment - I looked it up and I can buy one with my military ID from Benchmade, but they are over $300. If I'm going to spend that much on anything, it better be able to hold bullets.

/npan

The Army was actually issuing super awesome Benchmade full autos through supply up until around 2007. I just missed getting issued one on my deployment - I looked it up and I can buy one with my military ID from Benchmade, but they are over $300. If I'm going to spend that much on anything, it better be able to hold bullets.

/npan

I had one of those for a while. It was a great knife. Very sturdy. I used it daily for a couple years with no problems, but someone finally stole it from my work.

I've always loved auto knives as a novelty/ cool factor thing. I bought my first one at a gun show when I was 13 or so.

They're neat to have as a letter opener at home on the desk but for daily carry, I have several different Kershaw SA's. Even if I could legally carry an auto knife I would still stick with the Kershaws. They're tough as nails.

Anybody know if we can carry auto knives on duty in mass? And if yes, where is it written in the law?

If you decide your boss is authorizing an auto, let me know. I have several you can try out. Personally, I prefer my Benchmade 940 Osborne knife. Heavy blade that won't break under normal use, Axis lock to prevent it from closing on my hand.

I have several different design knives you are welcome to try out.

I really like the Microtech da I played around with it. One of our officers has it for swat. It's seems very sturdy and easy to operate under stress. I called microtech and they said that they will sell it to any full time le or military. You would think they would know since they are liable as I would be if it wasn't authorized. But who the hell knows.

L.E.O.'s are NOT allowed by law to carry an automatic knife(s)!

Does that mean some do? "YES"

But it would still be a violation of the law. I personally would NOT!

L.E.O.'s are NOT allowed by law to carry an automatic knife(s)!

Does that mean some do? "YES"

But it would still be a violation of the law. I personally would NOT!

I have no idea what police in Mass may carry, but in NH anyone can carry a auto knife and anyone can buy one, so i can only assume police carry auto blades in NH if they want to.

I own some collectors and I own some fitting for the garden, but I carry a assisted opening knife, but just because I want to. What i carry is no where as good as the Gerbers i read about on this thread but i own a few Gerber fixed blades which seem very good, and I know the H&K autos with AUS8 Stainless are also good for SS so far as that goes.

My intent was to just share information, not judge.

As for Mass I avoid Mass just as much as i can.

I really like the Microtech da I played around with it. One of our officers has it for swat. It's seems very sturdy and easy to operate under stress. I called microtech and they said that they will sell it to any full time le or military. You would think they would know since they are liable as I would be if it wasn't authorized. But who the hell knows.

IIRC NH changed their laws on this not too long ago. EMT's and paramedics argued that one handed opening was really helpful in emergency situations.

Yeah, assisted openings work like butter. But if emergency responders, or Joe citizen, want a better tool why the hell should the law get in the way? It's a tool.

More knit picking nannystate BULLSHIT!

Doesn't it really suck that the question even has to be asked?

Some legislator probably shit his pants watching "West Side Story" back when and filed a bill.[rolleyes]

IIRC NH changed their laws on this not too long ago. EMT's and paramedics argued that one handed opening was really helpful in emergency situations.

Yeah, assisted openings work like butter. But if emergency responders, or Joe citizen, want a better tool why the hell should the law get in the way? It's a tool.

By this coming spring the law will have been in effect 3 years, and where the average Joe can buy, no questions asked. The hardest part is finding a store that carries these. That isn't very hard to do, but don't go looking in Walmart. It is possible to spend as little as 5 bucks for total junk, and of course the sky is the limit.

Typically I see autos in NH from $50 to $150.

Since Worcester has a blade-length restriction ( Mass does not), but an LTC holder is exempted, there's precedent!

Yeah, but will your knife be restricted to "Hunting and Target"? If so, only knife throwers can carry one in the city of seven hills.

Because most Mass legislators are, in fact, tools themselves. They don't like being one-upped.

Back
Top Bottom