City of Lowell Storage Alert

They want a gun vault? Here you go.

gunvault.jpg

But you need ten vaults for each gun.

Looks like I may be renting my house out to section 8 crack heads and moving my hard working, tax paying azz to NH.
I own a house in NH, so that's an option for me, too. Otherwise I may become a criminal.
I have a safe here, and an alarm system that makes a very loud bang when it's triggered, so there's no need to inspect my place, thanks anyway.
The Lowell police already know who the LTC and FID holders are(like the people whose names are NOT published in The Sun's arrest log), and how many guns we have.

and notify police about the storage.

So what about the storage would an LTC holder notify the police about specifically? That it simply exists? What are the building codes? What defines a vault? Is there a requirement to provide the police with combinations? What time period?

If the LTC holder does not notify the police in a timely period, is the LTC revoked? If so, that's like an easy lob across the plate for someone like Alan Gura to get a storage precedent set in this state. That lemonade would be very refreshing.

What little I could find (stuck at the bottom of an article concerning a proposed "muzzle law")...
http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_17989428?IADID=Search-www.lowellsun.com-www.lowellsun.com

This was the remark in the article immediately preceding the one about the storage petition:
"The muzzle law could only help efforts to prevent dog attacks in the city, said Animal Control Officer Robert Pickard.
"It is another tool," Pickard said. "I welcome all tools."

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_17989428#ixzz1LPYKB08E

Another ill conceived idea that will probably be poorly implemented because it is a bad law...period. But BEWARE ! bad laws like this can take on a life of their own, and who can say that your city or town won't be next?

Mark L.

Luckily it appears this is just a home rule petition. It is not in effect until the state authorizes it so we have a chance to fight it out later too.

In todays economy, how many LTC holders in Lowell can afford to build a "city approved" vault? I predict a flight of good citizens from Lowell, or a flood of firearms coming into the market. Total moonbattery!!!...[thinking]

I bet the final version will also require an officer on detail duty guarding the vault at all times also. Then if that officer suspects you have a firearm on you he will detain you for his safety and run the serial numbers on your firearms and if there is the slightest resistance you will be arrested and lose your license on the grounds of suitability.

What's really absurd is look at what the cops said about the "vault" that the 40 guns were stolen from. Thieves steal. Period.

I bet the final version will also require an officer on detail duty guarding the vault at all times also. Then if that officer suspects you have a firearm on you he will detain you for his safety and run the serial numbers on your firearms and if there is the slightest resistance you will be arrested and lose your license on the grounds of suitability.

at time and a half no doubt

I bet the final version will also require an officer on detail duty guarding the vault at all times also. Then if that officer suspects you have a firearm on you he will detain you for his safety and run the serial numbers on your firearms and if there is the slightest resistance you will be arrested and lose your license on the grounds of suitability.....and your dog will be executed.

fify

IF this passes, might be a good opportunity to run out and buy yourself that nice big safe/vault you've been eyeing, then drop the bill off at city hall for reimbursement.

What's better than a tax payer subsidized hobby?

First why is the existing Mass storage laws not good enough for the Lowell City Council.

Second I am curious how they define a "vault".

Third, how about Lowell address the crime issue and not attack law abiding taxpayers! O yeah criminals don't care so no use in trying to restrict them.

Fouth, criminals will know where to steal guns when they start seeing security trucks and signs popping up around Lowell. Security systems aren't the end all to security.

Fifth, I like the idea of a gun vault/safe room BUT at my decision! Not by some hoplophobic politician whose skull is as thick as a vault wall telling me so because he/she can't control crime.

What's really absurd is look at what the cops said about the "vault" that the 40 guns were stolen from. Thieves steal. Period.
Exactly, their knee jerk reaction requiring a vault was that 40 guns were stolen from a vault that the police described as "very secure", and something to the effect of "the thieves had a very long time to work on it."

You have to install a vault and an alarm? I wonder which security company came up with this law. More government corruption. MichaelJR is it time yet?

Of course having a vault will increase the property value and lord knows they could use more property taxes. I guess my specifically built gun safe, alarm system and German Shepherd doesn't protect the children.

First why is the existing Mass storage laws not good enough for the Lowell City Council.

The Mass storage law is to prevent unauthorized use, not theft

Second I am curious how they define a "vault".
The legitimate vaults will have to be made of Unobtainium

Third, how about Lowell address the crime issue and not attack law abiding taxpayers! O yeah criminals don't care so no use in trying to restrict them.
You call them criminals - the pols call them the voter base

Fouth, criminals will know where to steal guns when they start seeing security trucks and signs popping up around Lowell. Security systems aren't the end all to security.
But it will help the economy

Fifth, I like the idea of a gun vault/safe room BUT at my decision! Not by some hoplophobic politician whose skull is as thick as a vault wall telling me so because he/she can't control crime.
"Those who know what's best for us / must rise and save us from ourselves"
See...now it makes sense....right? [rolleyes]

My thanks to GOAL for keeping on top of this stuff.

Luckily it appears this is just a home rule petition. It is not in effect until the state authorizes it so we have a chance to fight it out later too.

Since the state already mandates storage requirements, my hope is that this home rule petition will not get authorized. Then again, knowing how Bacon Hill works, they may think this is a dandy idea for the entire state.

In my case, this would be a Catch 22; I'd have to sell all my guns to afford a vault, at which point I'd no longer need the vault. How many guns before an arsenal becomes an armory? [wink]

To be fair, once this is in effect crime in Lowell will surely be a problem of the past, criminals will no longer have weapons, welfare and food stamp recipients will decide to work for a living, children will be born to loving parents, schools will be full of learning and hope, drug use will fall, violent crime will be forgotten, and cats and dogs will live together in harmony. The people running Lowell have it all together. Only one thing holds them back, and it's the eleventh gun in your house, you selfish bastards. Think of the children. For God's sake, think of the children.

Back
Top Bottom