City of Lowell Storage Alert

Well the vault didnt help the guy that got robbed earlier this year and is the cause of this circus show. Is there language that can make it pass constitutionality to be forced to buy yet another consumer product you shouldnt have to in this state, such as health insurance..

Well the vault didnt help the guy that got robbed earlier this year and is the cause of this circus show. Is there language that can make it pass constitutionality to be forced to buy yet another consumer product you shouldnt have to in this state, such as health insurance..
Forget what you have to buy, how about the 4A violation resulting from the inspection?

No, there is no language that can make this constitutional - much like most MA laws.

Glad I moved out of that city. It's moonbat central for the Merrimack Valley. Gets worse every year. -

Forget what you have to buy, how about the 4A violation resulting from the inspection?

No, there is no language that can make this constitutional - much like most MA laws.

Cant wait to see this get challenged, glad I only work in that shithole and not live there. I get to meet all the fun people though, they should just level the city and start over, if only to get rid of nikki tsongas.

it sucks. Lowell, when I moved there 10 years ago, was thriving. Businesses were coming back to the Crosspoint/Wang towers, downtown had a lot to offer with shops and night clubs and the folk festival and motorcycle night were great draws. The second the housing crisis took hold, shops started closing, crime started to get higher and the cops started shooting pit bulls - to a point where a lot of people were starting to say it was about intimidating the neighborhood poor.

Now they pull this crap because they can't solve crime, so they go after the most vulnrable targets to do what? Show that they're doing 'something' about gun crime, even if it means going after the wrong people? Not a lot to like about Lowell.

it sucks. Lowell, when I moved there 10 years ago, was thriving. Businesses were coming back to the Crosspoint/Wang towers, downtown had a lot to offer with shops and night clubs and the folk festival and motorcycle night were great draws. The second the housing crisis took hold, shops started closing, crime started to get higher and the cops started shooting pit bulls - to a point where a lot of people were starting to say it was about intimidating the neighborhood poor.

Now they pull this crap because they can't solve crime, so they go after the most vulnrable targets to do what? Show that they're doing 'something' about gun crime, even if it means going after the wrong people? Not a lot to like about Lowell.

+1

Lowell was starting to come back like you said before the current economic debacle. Your last paragraph is spot-on.

Mark L.

it sucks. Not a lot to like about Lowell.

This....first time ever I went to the Lowell Auditorium for a Larry the Cable guy show......the whole area around it smelled like a septic system, probably cause the river next to it is, then the city decides to move snowbanks at 10pm right after the show gets out, fing up traffic for hours..............great first (and last impression). I'll never go there again if I can help it.

Typical dumb reaction to an isolated incident.....but the worry is the law could leach into other towns/cities as well........

Better order one now before there's a run:

Bank+Vault.jpg

After you get thru 4 feet of hardened steel, there is a "last chance" gate... [rofl]

(I do realize the gates are used during business hours but they always make me laugh)

Damn...

Proposed Lowell law would tighten rules for gun owners

LOWELL -- When thieves broke into a home in the Acre neighborhood on a weekend in early January and stole about 40 guns from a homemade vault, police were not notified until the homeowner returned to his property early the next week.

Since then, two men have been indicted for their alleged roles in the crime, but just a handful of the guns stolen from 9 Dublin St. have been recovered.

"Those weapons are out on the street and in the hands of criminals," said Lowell Police Superintendent Kenneth Lavallee.

In order to prevent similar incidents in Lowell and the movement of guns from the hands of law-abiding citizens to lawbreakers, Lavallee, Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone and Rep. Kevin Murphy helped city officials craft a home-rule petition seeking the power to require owners of 10 or more firearms to notify police of the weapons' location within 24 hours of possessing them.

The proposed law would also require owners of more than 10 firearms to secure them in a locked safe or vault and install an alarm system with central monitoring that would notify police when the alarm is activated.

Lowell also wants to require all owners of more than five firearms in the city to store them in a locked safe or vault. Violators of the law would face up to five years in state prison or up to 2.5 years in a jail or house of correction. Fines of between $5,000 and $10,000 could also be levied on violators.

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_18007364

If this flies, Boston, Worcester and Springfield aren't far behind. I can just smell it in the wind. And you can be sure that Marcia will put her stamp of approval on it too!

If this flies, Boston, Worcester and Springfield aren't far behind. I can just smell it in the wind. And you can be sure that Marcia will put her stamp of approval on it too!
Well, you can't be "sure" as she did tell Concord to go fly a kite with their water bottle non-sense, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

If they do this, its a clear 4A violation and it will get challenged.

Here we go again!!! MPA running its sewer without consent of the members. Lavalle, Leone, and company are ALL a**h***S. Thank God I moved out that area.
A totally mind-boggling proposal. Doesn't the loony left ever give up?

Just what the criminals need: A complete database of who has the most guns, where those guns are kept and the fact that the house has an alarm system (easily defeated if you know it is there). Can the anti-lawful gun owner insanity in this state get any worse???

The criminals in Lowell will have a copy of this list in hand before the ink is dry. Count on it!

CLMN

What a bunch of crap. They already HAVE this infomation and could just as easily enter it into the laptops of the police cars - then again, given the trigger happy nature of the LPD, the last thing I want when they're responding to asssist say, the fire department, is to get shot because they THINK I may, as a state licensed gun owner, endanger them.

SO glad I ran from that sewer, but its probably something that is sadly, going to have to be fought. It just sucks that in addition to the usual stupid attacks on gun rights, wehave to fight to maintain the guaranteed rights from search and seizure.

To be fair, once this is in effect crime in Lowell will surely be a problem of the past, criminals will no longer have weapons, welfare and food stamp recipients will decide to work for a living, children will be born to loving parents, schools will be full of learning and hope, drug use will fall, violent crime will be forgotten, and cats and dogs will live together in harmony. The people running Lowell have it all together. Only one thing holds them back, and it's the eleventh gun in your house, you selfish bastards. Think of the children. For God's sake, think of the children.

You forgot about the unicorn in every backyard and jackalope in every pot.

A totally mind-boggling proposal. Doesn't the loony left ever give up?

Just what the criminals need: A complete database of who has the most guns, where those guns are kept and the fact that the house has an alarm system (easily defeated if you know it is there). Can the anti-lawful gun owner insanity in this state get any worse???

The criminals in Lowell will have a copy of this list in hand before the ink is dry. Count on it!

CLMN

There are criminals...in Lowell??? I am shocked.

The irony of all this is that the very best safes in the world are the ones that no one knows about. Stealth and secrecy are 95% of the battle. They can't steal what they don't know about or can't locate. The safe itself is only the last desperate 5%. And now the moonbats want a database of gun storage locations that it's a certainty will fall into the wrong hands. My God... how stupid are these people???

The Lowell man's "vault" did nothing to stop the criminals who knew where to find it... proving my point that stealth and secrecy are your [STRIKE]best[/STRIKE] only real protection against gun theft.

CLMN

The irony of all this is that the very best safes in the world are the ones that no one knows about. Stealth and secrecy are 95% of the battle. They can't steal what they don't know about or can't locate. The safe itself is only the last desperate 5%. And now the moonbats want a database of gun storage locations that its a certainty will fall into the wrong hands. My God... how stupid are these people???

The Lowell man's "vault" did nothing to stop the criminals who knew where to find it... proving my point that stealth and secrecy are your [STRIKE]best[/STRIKE] only real protection against gun theft.

CLMN
Fear is even better... [devil2]

Better define that a little clearer 'cause the criminals sure ain't afraid of our courts.

And one can't be home all the time. [thinking]
Dogs work pretty well (they aren't perfect, I've known people who have been robbed with them, but better than alarm that's for sure).

"Forget the dog, beware of owner."

Of course the Looney Left won't give up. To think that they will is silly.

The hard-core Antis' worldview is settled and, to them, not only reasonable, but self-evident. If you vary from thier view, you're not just different, but wrong....(and not just in the factual sense).

From the point of the Anti, this is a good thing: If it passes, it's a financial and logisticcal burden upon the gun owners; if it fails to pass, the fight that we have to put up is energy we've wasted. Whatever the outcome they've advanced their agenda.

We may say, "Molon Labe"; they say, "Keep nibbling away."

I agree. This could easily end up negatively affecting people all across the state.

Update, I just spoke to someone at City Hall, she is forwarding me the text of what was voted on later this afternoon.

We will keep you updated as things develop.

Were you able to get more information about what the home-rule petition actually says? Right now, I think all most of us know is only what was written in the Lowell Sun article.

How do we fight this? Will legislators be voting on it in a meeting similar to what's happening on Thursday (Public-Safety-Cmty.-Firearms-Hearings-May-12th-Please-come!)?

I may be wrong, but the way I read it if Bill H01568 passes, what they're trying to do in Lowell will be dead in the water.

How do we fight this? Will legislators be voting on it in a meeting similar to what's happening on Thursday (Public-Safety-Cmty.-Firearms-Hearings-May-12th-Please-come!)?
I don't believe so - the approval of home rule petitions goes through the AG's office.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is basically a "veto" stage behind closed doors. About the only thing you can do is write the AG and your rep and encourage them to do so...

I agree. This could easily end up negatively affecting people all across the state.

Were you able to get more information about what the home-rule petition actually says? Right now, I think all most of us know is only what was written in the Lowell Sun article.

I may be wrong, but the way I read it if Bill H01568 passes, what they're trying to do in Lowell will be dead in the water.

The information was never sent, we found out what we needed to know the next day via the Lowell Sun.

We have not heard that this will be discussed at Thursday's public hearing. We will update if that changes.

I don't believe so - the approval of home rule petitions goes through the AG's office.

A "home rule petition" is submitted to, and approved by, the Legislature (e.g. Boston's AWB).

Under "home rule authority", an article passed by a municipality as a proposed bylaw requires approval of the AG (e.g. Concord's bottle ban).

A "home rule petition" is submitted to, and approved by, the Legislature (e.g. Boston's AWB).

Under "home rule authority", an article passed by a municipality as a proposed bylaw requires approval of the AG (e.g. Concord's bottle ban).
Ok, I that's the context in which I had been exposed to that process - the AG threw it back. I don't recall any public hearing by the legislature or its committees...

Back
Top Bottom