Class III is in the wallet.

Good luck! When you get back can you let us know what the Chief asked for questions. Been contemplating putting in my app for one as well and would be very interested to hear how the conversation went.

I'd be curious to know what sort of questions get asked too. Off and on I've thought about doing this - even have two FNC's in the safe that could be converted with a sear. Just never really had the free cycles to pursue the process.

.... Off and on I've thought about doing this - even have two FNC's in the safe that could be converted with a sear.

I've never looked into the pricing and availability of a transferable FNC sear, but if it's like most of them, having the gun doesn't help much. The sear alone is almost the same price as the whole thing. It's like you buy the sear and they throw in the rifle for free. :)

The FNC is actually a great deal in the NFA world. You can buy a complete rifle with sear for about $7-7.5K. You can buy a semi FNC for about $3-3.5K and a transferrable sear for about the same. A quality installation runs about $600 bucks. In my mind, there is no real advantage to going the route of getting the semi first other than you can take the semi home right away, and use it all you want until you get the sear. Makes waiting for the NFA paperwork a little more bearable.

I've never looked into the pricing and availability of a transferable FNC sear, but if it's like most of them, having the gun doesn't help much. The sear alone is almost the same price as the whole thing. It's like you buy the sear and they throw in the rifle for free. :)

I've had the rifles for 3 or 4 years now. At the time I got them for what seemed like a good price compared to what the guys on the FN boards - and Gunbroker - were saying a good market price was.

I haven't really looked in a few years - but my understanding at the time was that there were more sears than rifles. The sears were going for around $3500 - plus there is machine work that needs to be done to the rifle to make it full auto. A full auto FNC was going for around $6500-7000 at the time. Haven't looked lately to see if that is still true. For full auto a converted FNC is among the cheaper alternatives. Plus it takes AR mags - so in MA it's a good option.

- - - Updated - - -

The FNC is actually a great deal in the NFA world. You can buy a complete rifle with sear for about $7-7.5K. You can buy a semi FNC for about $3-3.5K and a transferrable sear for about the same. A quality installation runs about $600 bucks. In my mind, there is no real advantage to going the route of getting the semi first other than you can take the semi home right away, and use it all you want until you get the sear. Makes waiting for the NFA paperwork a little more bearable.

My thinking was that sooner or later - all the semis will be gone and converted to FA - and then the prices will start going up. If the rumour about there being more sears than rifles is true - the prices on the sears should hold steady. If I really want to do this I should probably get going on it before the prices start to go up.

Downside of FNCs is serviceability. Barrels and parts in general are going to be a problem. Where I can happily burn out the barrel in an M16 because they are easily replaced, the same cannot be said for the FNC. Same with uppers, bolts, firing pins, triggers, etc...

Downside of FNCs is serviceability. Barrels and parts in general are going to be a problem. Where I can happily burn out the barrel in an M16 because they are easily replaced, the same cannot be said for the FNC. Same with uppers, bolts, firing pins, triggers, etc...

Your my inspiration for this whole process! BASTARD!!!!!!

What is the word on this possibly making the renewal of your LTC more difficult. On the application it asks if you've ever been denied a license before? If you get denied a green card, would this not require an affirmative answer in the future? If so would that make future LTC renewals more difficult?

I had been interested in applying for out of state licenses in RI and NH, but haven't done so for this very reason. Am I just being paranoid?

I had been interested in applying for out of state licenses in RI and NH, but haven't done so for this very reason. Am I just being paranoid?

This is why I don't go for a license in RI because I've heard it can and has effected people on their renewals.

I don't think getting denied for a machine gun license will fall under that because it's not considered denial of a license because you would need your license just to ask if you can.

Interview went well. Standard questioning. Nothing out of the ordinary. I did hear the key words "when your license arrives" vs "if you get approved" so that's a good thing!

Heres hoping for you!

If anyone is thinking of getting their green card and figuring why bother since they wont have the funds for a MG, get it anyways. The current standard is that you cannot even hold or shoot a MG in MA without a card.

I have to renew mine in a town I've never applied in before. I'm not worried about the LTC but the Machine Gun license is making me nervous. I was hoping to own something by now to make it easier for me to argue.

Glad it went well Andy,

had my MG license in MA for 8 years. Once you get it then the expensive part comes.... buying the transferable MGs... ha ha... I have a Ruger AC556F, UZI registered reciever, Reising .45 SMG and my M16.... used to have a MAC 10 in 45 but sold that a year ago.

lots of fun though and I am sure all will work out for you.

Rob

Last edited:

That's why you have to buy two. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom