• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classifieds Suck Lately

Pretty simple. The title says it all. Is it me or do all the classifieds suck lately. I'm not talking only NES either.

Maybe I'm just a picky prick; but Christ it's like the Sahara out there. If anyone has inside tips on different private sellers please let me know via PM. I need some godamn variety. Getting bored out of my mind. It's the same overpriced dime a dozen crap everywhere.

Suck as in lack of variety or lack of good prices? In six months you'll get your choice of used Shields for $200. I enjoyed the classifieds a lot more when stripped lowers weren't priced like complete rifles.

There's always Gunbroker. If you can't find something you want there, then that just means you have it all already. Congrats.

People are holding on th their stuff a bit.
I have not seen to many good deals in years.
Ok deals and fair prices sometimes.
There is just not a variety like you mention.
Mainly the guns you see for sale is the good advertising and promoted guns or the gottahavit folks who need the latest and "greatest" and the thrill is gone quickly and they sell.
So far the only deals I get is just constantly remind people around you that you BUY GUNS.

Suck as in lack of variety or lack of good prices? In six months you'll get your choice of used Shields for $200.

That would be high for a used one when new ones are going for close to that with the current rebates.
I just got one in .45 for $225, the 9's and .40's are even less.

I will add LGS used gun sections are pretty bleak also. I think more LGS are going way of gunbroker and such where the buyers are bidding up vs us bidding down face to face in the shop.

That would be high for a used one when new ones are going for close to that with the current rebates.

Makes me wonder how S&W can sell these with a $75 rebate, considering whole sale price to dealers.

It's almost a certainty that no seller will take the $75 rebate into account when they list the gun. Will not see any listed below $275. We're talking the classifieds here. Add in "LNIB" and boom asking is near MSRP.

There are only so many MA Compliant firearms available and it doesn't take long to either have tried or owned most of them before you get bored. Like another poster has typed, unless your willing to pay foolish prices for non compliant firearms, your choices are limited in this wonderful Commonwealth.

Pretty simple. The title says it all. Is it me or do all the classifieds suck lately. I'm not talking only NES either.

Maybe I'm just a picky prick; but Christ it's like the Sahara out there. If anyone has inside tips on different private sellers please let me know via PM. I need some godamn variety. Getting bored out of my mind. It's the same overpriced dime a dozen crap everywhere.

Step 1 - find the gun you like online.
Step 2 - call gun stores. If They have It, purchase. If they don't have it order it.
Step 3 - enjoy life.

Makes me wonder how S&W can sell these with a $75 rebate, considering whole sale price to dealers.

My guess is they ramped up production anticipating a Hillary win, then got stuck with a huge inventory. In that case, turning inventory into cash is the smart play, even if you're selling them at a "loss." And you're hurting your competitors to boot by denying them some sales they may have otherwise had. Lemons into lemonade.

Ive barely even glanced at the classifieds for quite some time. Seemed like mostly used guns listed at retail.

C'mon, I thought I did a fair job of making this post fun to read.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ter-55-Single-Shot-22?highlight=Winchester+55

LOL, yes- that is a good one and the price seems fair. However, your ad seems to be quite the exception. Occasionally a decent deal shows up. What's really interesting is that the dealers generally post better deals than private individuals.

Dime a dozen Mass listed pistols show up as LNIB listed at MSRP. Somehow people seem to think anything off list 'LNIB' commands a $250 premium over MSRP plus shipping plus transfer. Used good condition off list pistols get a $100 or more premium over MSRP plus typical shipping and transfer fees. That's almost tolerable.

So the dealer classifieds are decent, go figure. Seems like most of the private listings indeed suck.

My guess is they ramped up production anticipating a Hillary win, then got stuck with a huge inventory. In that case, turning inventory into cash is the smart play, even if you're selling them at a "loss." And you're hurting your competitors to boot by denying them some sales they may have otherwise had. Lemons into lemonade.

That's exactly what happened, and not just for S&W. Same with ammo prices (all kinds of rebates).

The most amusing are private sellers offering product for more than I can buy it for locally or online (without using any industry connections). Then there is the guy trying to sell a glass froster for which refills are no longer made.

Last edited:
I miss the old WantAd. Used to grab a copy first thing Wednesday morning, (or was it Thursday?), and go right to the firearms section. I can't count how many guns I bought through that thing over the years.

The most amusing are private sellers offering product for more than I can buy it for locally or online (without using any industry connections). Then three is the guy trying to sell a glass froster for which refills are no longer made.

I've got some bricks of .22 I can part with for $75 each .
Get them while you can.

Back
Top Bottom