• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Quality Control Lately

I've slowed down shooting and visiting gun stores for the most part in the past year but have been thinking about adding a new production Ruger revolver to the herd. For a while their current production QC was garbage ..just wondering if they've cleaned things up as of late. I'm speaking specifically of the revolvers although all input is welcome.

I won't buy a Ruger Revolver made between 2009-2020 but I'm wondering if the batches of Vaqueros, Alaskans, and GPs are getting better...

(I am packing up my girlfriends Security Nine to send to Customer Service as I write this...)

you don't cite specific examples, just generalize. so...why is that security nine heading back? care to share? not trying to call you out but without examples this just gets to be another "my father in law's neighbors wife knows a guy..." thread.

Ruger has been better but none are perfect especially after 2013 when the manufacturers learned they could exploit the market because they know 50% or more of the guns purchased were never even going to get fired. 🤣 So like anything else, you will take a chance. I doubt it's any worse than smith's QC is now.

That all depends on the firearm model... and your luck in life, in general. See this thread: Ruger LCP II .22lr Report

For the record: Yes, the problem of light primer strikes are still happening with my LCP II Lite (appropriately and ironically named, I know) even after shipping back to the factory and them claiming they fixed the problem, me replacing internals by going through painstaking and agonizing lengths to work with parts smaller than my fingernail, and still not having the firearm function properly.

you don't cite specific examples, just generalize. so...why is that security nine heading back? care to share? not trying to call you out but without examples this just gets to be another "my father in law's neighbors wife knows a guy..." thread.
Failure to go into battery....

I can cite Ruger Revolver quality control issues because when I worked at Kittery Trading Post, I had a tally of which manufacturers had the biggest return rate...these are just the customers that brought guns back to me or my immediate coworkers to return to the manufacturer for them...Ruger was handily at the top of the list, then Taurus, then Kimber, S&W, Sig....I don't recall sending one Glock nor Beretta Handgun back (just a few A400s)...

I can cite Ruger Revolver quality control issues because when I worked at Kittery Trading Post, I had a tally of which manufacturers had the biggest return rate...these are just the customers that brought guns back to me or my immediate coworkers to return to the manufacturer for them...Ruger was handily at the top of the list, then Taurus, then Kimber, S&W, Sig....I don't recall sending one Glock nor Beretta Handgun back (just a few A400s)...

See a lot of this all depends on the time period in which you worked.... I'm trying to remember when it was but I remember a time where basically every shipment of Sig handguns into a gun store involved at least one or two guns that would be rejected right out of the box without even having to fire them to know they were f***ed up. 🤣 most of these companies go in waves. Although I bet Taurus avg fail rate on their revolvers has been pretty much the same forever.... 🤣

If I was in your shoes I would be picking a revolver based on the features it has or what I wanted to do with it versus the perception of QC because there is no real guarantee that you're going to get what you want there. The only way you get that is with a Manhurin or a Korth and most people aren't going to spend that kind of money....

Funny you mention Kittery, as that is exactly where a fellow member and LCP II user brought her backup LCP to sell after it was malfunctioning. Unfortunately, I do not have a backup, and I cannot in good conscience pass this burden to another person, as hers was only an issue with a Galloway kit install and with mine there is a deeper underlying issue with specs, most likely, as the internals were already replaced.

See a lot of this all depends on the time period in which you worked.... I'm trying to remember when it was but I remember a time where basically every shipment of Sig handguns into a gun store involved at least one or two guns that would be rejected right out of the box without even having to fire them to know they were f***ed up. 🤣 most of these companies go in waves. Although I bet Taurus avg fail rate on their revolvers has been pretty much the same forever.... 🤣

If I was in your shoes I would be picking a revolver based on the features it has or what I wanted to do with it versus the perception of QC because there is no real guarantee that you're going to get what you want there. The only way you get that is with a Manhurin or a Korth and most people aren't going to spend that kind of money....
Yeah, you drive enough Ferraris and Porsches it's hard to get excited about a Corolla...I have a FA83 and two BFRs...

Funny you mention Kittery, as that is exactly where a fellow member and LCP II user brought her backup LCP to sell after it was malfunctioning. Unfortunately, I do not have a backup, and I cannot in good conscience pass this burden to another person, as hers was only an issue with a Galloway kit install and with mine there is a deeper underlying issue with specs, most likely, as the internals were already replaced.
I enjoyed working there as there was so much volume it really allowed you to see what works and what doesn't in real time.

The past ten years I got a lot of Ruger guns, the only two I had to send back were my MKIV's but that was for the safety recall, everything else has been tip top.

You take a chance no matter who u buy from these days, but Ruger revolvers have been decent for what they use to cost. Now they cost a lot more and don't consider them worth it.

Every Ruger revolver I've owned had a cosmetic issue and sharp corners inside the frame, but do function.

If you're looking for a no frills .357 or .38, go Taurus. If it's a specific revolver Ruger makes that you want, don't hesitate.

Will be calling Ruger customer service about this LCP II Lite issue today, getting a shipping label, and sending it in. It will be the third time and unfortunately when it comes back I’m going to have to let her go.

Even after stating earlier than older Ruger Revolvers seem to be okay, I picked up a spare Super Redhawk 454 made in 2000 and it takes about 12 lbs to pull the hammer back...going to take it apart and do some polishing. My other one is smooth as butter and only has about 200 rounds through it. With Ruger it's all a crap shoot and unfortunately 7/10 times I get the crap....

Even after stating earlier than older Ruger Revolvers seem to be okay, I picked up a spare Super Redhawk 454 made in 2000 and it takes about 12 lbs to pull the hammer back...going to take it apart and do some polishing. My other one is smooth as butter and only has about 200 rounds through it. With Ruger it's all a crap shoot and unfortunately 7/10 times I get the crap....
2000 vintage is not older in my book…..but I guess the term is subjective, eh? Older to me is 70s and older.

What's the issue? Been thinking about getting one lately, could use a pocket .22 auto.
Light Primer Strikes. Would not recommend this for a pocket 22 carry. Perhaps, a training pistol where you can diagnose failures and ready quickly again. Unfortunately, the failures are too numerous to even designate it as that. I have sent it back to the factory two times and between that time I installed a Galloway precision spring kit (a nuissance) and still the issues persist. New mags and new this and that and still nothing works. If you want to be pissed off and troubleshoot and think you’ve succeeded and feel good and then get pissed off some more in a vicious cyle, then this is the gun for you. Otherwise, I would stay clear.

Got a stainless Bearcat recently. Was disappointed in how gritty the action felt. Took it apart, polished the guts, sumbich is sweeter than summer rain.

Back
Top Bottom