• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Quality Control Lately

Light Primer Strikes. Would not recommend this for a pocket 22 carry. Perhaps, a training pistol where you can diagnose failures and ready quickly again. Unfortunately, the failures are too numerous to even designate it as that. I have sent it back to the factory two times and between that time I installed a Galloway precision spring kit (a nuissance) and still the issues persist. New mags and new this and that and still nothing works. If you want to be pissed off and troubleshoot and think you’ve succeeded and feel good and then get pissed off some more in a vicious cyle, then this is the gun for you. Otherwise, I would stay clear.
This seems to be a common issue with that model and I figured that's what it was.

One reason I like an exposed hammer for .22, but the only ones small enough that's easily available and affordable are the Phoenix and Beretta Bobcat. The Phoenix is heavy pot metal, but works, the Beretta has terrible sights and also seems to have issues.

I would just keep trying different ammo, you'll find a brand that has a soft enough rim eventually.

This seems to be a common issue with that model and I figured that's what it was.

One reason I like an exposed hammer for .22, but the only ones small enough that's easily available and affordable are the Phoenix and Beretta Bobcat. The Phoenix is heavy pot metal, but works, the Beretta has terrible sights and also seems to have issues.

I would just keep trying different ammo, you'll find a brand that has a soft enough rim eventually.
Gone through maybe 8-9 different kinds. At a certain point, it's like the Bodyguard 380, just need to let her go.

I bought a GP-100 a few years back it looked like someone buffed it with a Brillo pad and the trigger was gritty as shit. Yeah that what I want to buy a gun for $800 that needs a trigger job. Took a year but I sold it for a grand…

I had a Ruger Single 10 that was garbage. I sent it back and they fixed it, and then I sold it. I now have a Heritage 9-shot .22 that I bought for $200, and it's been flawless with about 500 rds through it, unlike the $600 Ruger.

With that said, I have and do own several other Rugers, like the Mk iv, and they have all been great.

2000 vintage is not older in my book…..but I guess the term is subjective, eh? Older to me is 70s and older.
My cut off date for Ruger is around 2006...I'd be curious to know if there was some sort of change that happened in their Newport facility in terms of processes...I wish there were an insider that could detail it. *note this applies to their revolvers only.

Ironically I have a 12 year old first run LCP that has never had a hiccup.

My cut off date for Ruger is around 2006...I'd be curious to know if there was some sort of change that happened in their Newport facility in terms of processes...I wish there were an insider that could detail it. *note this applies to their revolvers only.

Ironically I have a 12 year old first run LCP that has never had a hiccup.
I’ll trade you my LCP!

lc9-s. i made a stupid impulse buy of the contractor yellow version (dewalt tools are my go-to). shot great, loved it, but couldn't get past the color enough to carry it.

bought one in black. continuous fail to eject. sent it back, they replaced the ejector. still wouldn't work. sent it back again demanding a new slide. they complied, and that took care of the issue.

so yes quality control issues. should never have left the factory, but at least they got it fixed eventually.

my SR9c however, 8 years old, over 1k rounds, never had 1 problem.

I bought an EC9S here that had some issues with magazine insertion and ejection. I had to disassemble and reassemble it about half a dozen times and painstakingly remove a bit of the magazine catch with a diamond file each time. I finally got it to not sometimes catch on mag insertion and let the mag drop free when i pressed the release.

ETA: Also, with the stock recoil spring it absolutely would not function with hornady ammo.

I applied to Ruger in Newport 25 years ago. Wanted to get into the machine shop but they interviewed me as a stock sander. As much as as I lived and breathed guns $8 an hour was a dealbreaker for me…
Hey, at least you got a job offer. I probably applied about the same time or a few years earlier to be an assembler. Not even an interview.

Last year I bought a Ruger Max9 .. Bass Pro had 'em for $350. Tried 3 diff kinds of ammo to learn the gun wouldn't properly cycle, would hold open when the mag still had cartridges. The little take-down doo-hickey slide lever on the left side would not stay locked. Sent it back to Ruger .. they fixed it ..
Based on the serial number, this is my Pandemic Gun - it was built mid-2021 when all the factories were churning out stuff at a hell-for-leather pace, with less regard for QC.

After the repair I ran 250 rounds of range-grade ammo through it (to get it nice and dirty), then ran a couple mags of my carry ammo. Everything functioned flawlessly. Now I carry the Ruger as a backup EDC when I'm making a range trip to shoot my regular EDC.

Ordered a Super Redhawk in 44 mag a month or two ago. Opened the box to function check it at the dealer and the cylinder would seize up after 2 chambers wouldn’t rotate. Could barely force the cylinder open once it seized. Had to send it back to Ruger. Received it back a little bit ago. Appears to be cycling now. Will say the trigger has no grit and it feels good otherwise. Have been cycling it with Snapcaps for a couple hundred clicks so far.

Ive had to send back a ruger mk3 and sr22 both 2 times. After the second time both issues were resolved. Pain in the ass but at least they made it right. My Ruger 57 and two 10/22 are flawless

I love Ruger semi’s. Every single one I’ve owned has been dead nuts reliable. I currently have an SR45 in my nightstand safe - I trust it to defend my family if it should ever come to that. I also frequently carry an LC9s. I can make 3” groups with that gun all day at 10 yards, and I've never had an failure in about 1000 rounds. I also currently have a LCPII in .22 that’s broken in nicely, and now is reliable with almost all high velocity stuff. My 22/45 is reliable with any ammo, and is a tack driver. I’ve owned an sr9, and a MkII. I have a 10/22 and a Rimfire Precision that my son shoots. I think Ruger does a great job making a quality gun at a solid price point. I’ve never had an issue with a Ruger.

But when it comes to revolvers, I’m a Smith guy all the way. I think there was a case for Rugers when their frames were stiffer and their price was more competitive, but at roughly the same price as a Smith, I’m buying the Smith. I bought a Wrangler a few years ago and found it kinda MEH. Dollar for dollar I like my Heritage Rough Rider better.

Last edited:
I've been a Ruger fan since I was a kid, as others have said the price point was right and quality was good. Old MKII, GP100's, even a P90 .45 (ohhhh my what a clunker). Yet in many, many reloads in .38, .357, .45 and others in my Ruger's I've had zero issues. My MKII, we shot that pistol every range trip with all manner of .22 whatever was on sale (I was buying the bulk stuff at KMart back in the day for $10 for that 500 pack milk carton). I finally replaced the trigger bar as it had worn a spot that increased trigger travel. Simply a wear and tear thing, I can't blame the parts and this model was way before MIMS parts. I have a PC-9 carbine, 10-22 rifle, and other Rugers all of which have been fine. (Dare I say I own a mini-thirty? I'm kinda afraid to say it on NES!).

Are models like the that old P90 "ruger rough"? Yes, absolutely. My revolvers though are all nicely built. Nice blue or stainless finishes and tight lockups.

I sent back a GP-100 years ago they replaced it. I ordered the gun, few days later dealer calls says it's in. I rushed over did the paperwork quickly since he was closing.

When I got home and opened her up I was like WTF? On the inside the bottom of the top strap looked gouged with slice marks, it should have been smooth. Of course the dealer was closed. Called the next day he said he really didn't look at it just called so I could pick it up.

Anyways my dealer had me bring it in and he sent it back. Ruger destroyed and replaced it. Customer Service was good but it should have never made it past quality control.

Back
Top Bottom