• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Carbines Coming!

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Just got this as part of an email from the CMP:

M1 CARBINES SOON TO BE AVAILABLE FROM THE CMP . The Army has transferred to the CMP a significant quantity of M1 Carbines. We are currently processing these carbines through our Inspection & Repair operations and expect to have some ready for sale by 1 March, 2007, but it may be sooner. More information will be posted on http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm as it becomes available. At this time no decisions have been made as to grading, pricing, or limits. We are not accepting orders or establishing waiting lists at this time.

I wonder what a "significant" quantity is and how fast these babies will go.

Thanks for the heads up - I have started to get a hankerin' for an M1 carbine lately. March will give me enough time to save up for one [grin]

Beat me to it... just saw it on the site...

Hopefully I'll be able to order one and have it shipped to my folks in Maryland. The Boston law is just too vague to risk having one in the city, and the magazine is a no-no.

Not that I need another (I have one already, safe in Maryland) but it would be nice for the right price.

I've never ordered from the CMP before, is there anything required besides filling out their order form?

According to Orest Michaels, the quantity they have "in the 5 figures" and in a later post he alluded to it being over 10K of them.

Minus one IBM Selectric for me, of course. Or maybe a National Postal Meter...

Last edited:
Can anyone pick up an extree and then sell it to me when they come in?

That is not what CMP sales are supposed to be about. Even though far too many (unscrupupous) people do it, they are not for re-sales.

It's easy enough to qualify for yourself. You should try it like Garys suggested.

Having a C&R license and GOAL membership was ok enough for me to order an 03A3 Springfield a while back.
As for the carbines, any idea what the pricing will be? I'd really like to get one thats not been passed around and altered left and right, but don't want to pay the gun show/shop prices of $600+.

According to Orest Michaels, the quantity they have "in the 5 figures" and in a later post he alluded to it beign over 10K of them.

Minus one IBM Selectic for me, of course. Or maybe a National Postal Meter...

That's a lotta gunz! [shocked]

Makes you wonder what other goodies are crated up and stored in some undisclosed warehouse waiting to be discovered.

(Mental note... start stocking up on magazines and .30 carbine ammo now)

That's a lotta gunz! [shocked]

Makes you wonder what other goodies are crated up and stored in some undisclosed warehouse waiting to be discovered.

(Mental note... start stocking up on magazines and .30 carbine ammo now)

Russia has countless SVT40s and other weapons sitting around that may never see US soil. [sad2]

There is a thread over on calguns.net about how to apply to buy a gun from CMP:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=44660

Belonging to a member organization - and having been part of a marksmanship activity plus citizenship will pretty much qualify you.

GOAL is listed as a member organization ( I already joined [grin] ) and possessing a License To Carry qualifies as your marksmanship training (got that too).

Then you just have to fill out the paperwork - there is a pdf on the www.odcmp.com site that you have to print out - and it has to get notarized when you sign it.

I had been wanting a Garand - but the good ones seem to be diminishing on the CMP site. I am going to put in my paperwork and start saving for one (or two ) of the M1 carbines.

According to the Wikipedia page for the carbine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Carbine

there were over 600,000 of the M2 fully automatic variant produced - I saw somewhere else, maybe it was the Auto-Ordnance site - that there were something like 6 million M1 carbines produced - it was one of the most produced weapons of the WWII -Korea era - meaning there could possibly be hundreds of thousands of these lying around still waiting to be distributed out thru CMP - lets hope.

Russia has countless SVT40s and other weapons sitting around that may never see US soil. [sad2]

I believe there are even issues bringing M1 Carbines and M1 Garands back into the country because of the gun import restrictions, If I remember correctly the Greek M1 Garands that are on CMP now were brought back in because they were never "sold" to Greece but rather given under Lend-Lease or some such thing - therefore they were still nominally US Property.

Anything that was "sold" is no longer US property - therefore bringing it back in involves bringing in a "foreign" weapon. Too bad - there are probably hundreds of thousands of Garands, M1 Carbines, and M14's out there that US citizens would love to purchase if they could only be brought back into the country.

Bring the M14's back in - remove all the fully auto pieces and sell them thru CMP as is - have some US companies make replacement pieces so they would fire semi-auto only - that would be awesome.

I believe there are even issues bringing M1 Carbines and M1 Garands back into the country because of the gun import restrictions, If I remember correctly the Greek M1 Garands that are on CMP now were brought back in because they were never "sold" to Greece but rather given under Lend-Lease or some such thing - therefore they were still nominally US Property.

They were actually being destroyed (or slated to be destroyed), when someone caught wind of it and said 'whoaaa', you can't do that as those rifles are officially US property... we want them back

Anything that was "sold" is no longer US property - therefore bringing it back in involves bringing in a "foreign" weapon. Too bad - there are probably hundreds of thousands of Garands, M1 Carbines, and M14's out there that US citizens would love to purchase if they could only be brought back into the country.

That only applies to firearms deemed not suitable for sporting purposes.
There shouldn't be any 922r imorpted parts count problem since all the parts
were US made.

Bring the M14's back in - remove all the fully auto pieces and sell them thru CMP as is - have some US companies make replacement pieces so they would fire semi-auto only - that would be awesome.

Can't do that. The BATFs position is that once a machine gun/full-auto... always a machine gun/full-auto.

Can't do that. The BATFs position is that once a machine gun/full-auto... always a machine gun/full-auto.

So where do Springfield Armory, Fulton Armory, etc. get their receivers and barrels from? I thought I remember reading on their websites that they in cases use USGI receivers and barrels?

So where do Springfield Armory, Fulton Armory, etc. get their receivers and barrels from? I thought I remember reading on their websites that they in cases use USGI receivers and barrels?

Those are newly made receivers machined to USGI specs (I assume minus any capability that would allow for the installation of full-auto-parts).

All the other parts that can be salvaged from existing M-14s... barrels, sights, gas pistons, fire control, etc are fine and legal to use.

The CMP will NEVER offer altered M14's for sale. Orest Michaels has said exactly that about a thousand times.
I certainly would like to see at least the parts come up for sale again, but that is also highly unlikely with the M14 seeing extensive use over in The Sandbox.

The FAQ page on the CMP site does not explicitly say NEVER:

Hey, nobody would like it better than me, but don't pass out while you hold your breath waiting.

If they ever do, look me up. We'll go shooting and I'll buy the beer afterwards.

The FAQ page on the CMP site does not explicitly say NEVER:

http://www.odcmp.com/faqs.htm

That's technically correct, but barring some policy change from the BATF (yeah... right! [thinking] ), it won't happen.

Keep in mind that when Clinton was president, that he ordered stockpiles of surplus M-14s to be destroyed, so there's one potential source of M-14s/parts
gone for good right there. [angry]

I'd be curious to know how many were sent to the smelter?

A tip for anyone even considering getting one of these carbines when they become available - HAVE YOUR PAPERWORK READY NOW!

Last time, they had somewhere around 1500 disappear in about 10 days. I don't care if they have 5 figures worth, they will go fast - trust me!

Back
Top Bottom