• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Carbines Coming!

Hey, hey hey.....save some for us huh? [smile]

I've got to get to a qualifying shoot and get my name on the list. I've got a Plainfield Machine brand but would like to get an authentic military one for my collection. I'll be keeping my eye on the CMP site for them.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm waiting on the pricing. The barreled receivers sold a few months back were in the area of five hundred and that was for a rusty receiver and a shot out barrel.

In any case, I'd like to get one if the deal is decent. No idea what restrictions the CMP will put on the sales at this point.

I've heard rumors that the "rack" grade M1 carbines will be priced around $350 or so, and the "better" grade between $450 and $500. That's DEFINITELY one of each, and possibly two lower and one higher grade...

That would be an incredible deal at that price. Somehow I think those rumers are one or two hundred dollars shy of the eventual fact.[thinking]

Hey, hey hey.....save some for us huh? [smile]

I've got to get to a qualifying shoot and get my name on the list. I've got a Plainfield Machine brand but would like to get an authentic military one for my collection. I'll be keeping my eye on the CMP site for them.

Thanks for the heads up.

If you've got an LTC you don't need the qualifying shoot. Check the requirements on the CMP website.

I should have bought one in the 60's when they weren't much more than $50.00...........now that was a deal...

My parents bought their house in the 60's for $24,000, now it's worth $1,000,000, so by that reasoning, $50 would be worth $2500 today...

For long range work the .30 carbine is not so hot compared to a fullsize rifle round.

Some people say that it's not a good manstopper, but ballistically, it is more potent than a .357 magnum and everyone raves about what a manstopper that is.

Go figure.

So true. And the .357 in a rifle also makes a nice deer gun for the woods and a lot of handgun hunters use .357 for deer.

I got my CMP application notarized this morning - and it will hit the mail tomorrow morning. Then I just have to keep some money in my savings account. I was thinking of getting two - just to have an extra around.

My parents bought their house in the 60's for $24,000, now it's worth $1,000,000, so by that reasoning, $50 would be worth $2500 today...

I paid about twenty five cents a gallon for gas back in the late 60's. That means we should be paying over twelve dollars a gallon. Ouch !!!!

Hmmmm... not quite:

Using 1965 for the initial year, and 2005 for the ending year; an M1 Carbine that cost $50.00 and adjusted for inflation would cost $297.91.

Now I just need to find out where or whom is selling M1 carbines for $297.91 [smile]

http://www.westegg.com/inflation

Update from CMP:

LATEST CMP SALES NEWS - 16 FEB 2007.

M1 CARBINE SALES. We have started the inspection of the M1 Carbines that were recently transferred to the CMP. Because the carbines were received with the bolts removed and many are in heavy preservative, the process is taking longer than expected. The carbines will not be ready for sale on 1 March. We will begin accepting carbine orders for Inland carbines on 30 April, 2007. Carbine orders received prior to 30 April will be returned to the sender. Other manufacturers will not be available until later in the year. At this time no decisions have been made as to pricing. We are not accepting orders or establishing waiting lists at this time. Please see http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm. We will post new information as it becomes available. Next CMP Sales update is planned for 23 March.

CARBINE AMMO. At this time CMP does not have any carbine ammo for sale. If we are successful in acquiring some, we will post the information on our website and also include it in a CMP Sales Update.

I got my CMP application notarized this morning - and it will hit the mail tomorrow morning. Then I just have to keep some money in my savings account. I was thinking of getting two - just to have an extra around.

Hope you didn't mean your application for an M1 CARBINE as we have been discussing here. As the CMP web site states "Carbine orders received prior to 30 April will be returned to the sender." [frown]

Can I send in the notarized application first, to make sure that they have time to do any NCIS check, etc? Maybe I should order some 30-06 for my M1?

I've never ordered from CMP, so I'm not sure what I should do to make sure that my app for a carbine goes through quick.

Can I send in the notarized application first, to make sure that they have time to do any NCIS check, etc? Maybe I should order some 30-06 for my M1?

I've never ordered from CMP, so I'm not sure what I should do to make sure that my app for a carbine goes through quick.

Ross,

Why don't you call or email them and see what you need to get a customer account number (I'm not sure if that is the actual name of the number - it's been so long) but that might help your carbine order go faster.

I think I'll hold off awhile before ordering; they're expecting something like 30,000+ carbines and they're limiting sales, so there'll be plenty to go around.

Only the Inlands will be up for initial sales. Other manufacturers won't be available until after Sept, 2007

I want to see what the pricing will be before I buy and what other buyers will have to say about the condition and whatnot.

However, I will be looking to buy mags, ammo and accessories (sling, oiler), before the prices go through the roof.

They are all made of interchangeable milspec parts. None is any better than the other. Just some makers made more than others to account for the rarity amongst makers. Also names like Winchester, IBM are more desirable just for recognition purposes.

BTW, CMP says they have over 30,000 carbines that came in from Italy.

Here's some pics from their site.

FATM1Carbine.JPG

ItalyCarbines.jpg

ItalyCarbines3.jpg

ItalyCarbines2.jpg

ItalyCarbines4.jpg

Last edited:
Hope you didn't mean your application for an M1 CARBINE as we have been discussing here. As the CMP web site states "Carbine orders received prior to 30 April will be returned to the sender." [frown]

I first bought a spam tin of the Greek 30.06 - and just recently put in an order for a M1 Garand barrelled receiver and a "woodless" M1 Garand. Hopefully I can get a decent complete service grade Garand that will be a good shooter out of the two.

Until they have an actual part number listed on the web site you wont be able to put in an order for a carbine.

You can put in the notarized application - I put mine in with an order for some of the Greek 30.06 - and this application will be held on file so for subsequent orders you wont need the notarization - Just the paperwork. Rifles have to be ordered with the mailed in paperwork - I think because they need the actual signatures. So everybody is pretty much on equal footing - it's just a matter of how fast you can get it mailed in.

You can put in the notarized application - I put mine in with an order for some of the Greek 30.06 - and this application will be held on file so for subsequent orders you wont need the notarization - Just the paperwork. Rifles have to be ordered with the mailed in paperwork - I think because they need the actual signatures. So everybody is pretty much on equal footing - it's just a matter of how fast you can get it mailed in.

Great; that's what I needed to know. Thanks, calsdad! (can I call you Cal for short? [wink] )

Ross

I need to coincide this carbine order with my next crate of Greek.If those carbines are over $500 I will pass.I want a no fuss shooter.

On a positive note,it should bring down the prices of all but collector/correct grade carbines on the open market.

When they receive your order/paperwork they put you in the queue. So you don't really "beat the rush" by getting "certified" early. Then they just process the papers as they get to them (match them up with available guns).

I know that everyone considers getting the papers Notarized to be a royal PITA, but be aware that every bank has multiple Notaries and if you are a customer, I don't know of any bank that charges you to Notarize papers.

Likewise most companies have someone in Personnel and/or Legal departments who are Notaries, so you might get it done where you work (or you might totally freak them out, you be the judge).

When they receive your order/paperwork they put you in the queue. So you don't really "beat the rush" by getting "certified" early. Then they just process the papers as they get to them (match them up with available guns).

I know that everyone considers getting the papers Notarized to be a royal PITA, but be aware that every bank has multiple Notaries and if you are a customer, I don't know of any bank that charges you to Notarize papers.

Likewise most companies have someone in Personnel and/or Legal departments who are Notaries, so you might get it done where you work (or you might totally freak them out, you be the judge).

City or Town Hall should have a Notary.

I had my CMP paperwork notarized at Medford City Hall. Took all of 5 minutes and didn't cost me anything.

City or Town Hall should have a Notary.

I had my CMP paperwork notarized at Medford City Hall. Took all of 5 minutes and didn't cost me anything.

Banks sometimes have a notary too - I stopped at the local DCU branch on my way to work one morning and one of the tellers was a notary.

The first batch of paperwork you send them needs to be notarized - it also needs to have copies of the other backup requirements - like membership in an affiliated club (GOAL qualifies -thats what I used) - and proof of marksmanship training (having an LTC Class A qualifies - thats what I used).

CMP then keeps this paperwork on file - for 3 years I think. So any subsequent orders to them can be done by just filling out the order form and signing some of the backup papers that go with the order form. They also have an online store where you can order stuff. They don't have rifles on the E-store though - only accessories - parts, and ammunition. And not all of the available ammunition is listed on the online store even.

Banks sometimes have a notary too - I stopped at the local DCU branch on my way to work one morning and one of the tellers was a notary.

The first batch of paperwork you send them needs to be notarized - it also needs to have copies of the other backup requirements - like membership in an affiliated club (GOAL qualifies -thats what I used) - and proof of marksmanship training (having an LTC Class A qualifies - thats what I used).
Yeah, my credit union has a notary; got that done already. And Riverside Gun Club is on their list of qualifying clubs, too. So that's in place.

But since I'm going to the Hartford Appleseed shoot in April, I think I'll order a spam can of 30-06 anyway; think I'll need it. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom