• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering a "snubby"

Love it or hate it the LCRX .38 snubbie is a easy to fire, hide and manage tool. Not a range gun, but a belly gun. Able to shoot from a coat pocket, +P rated should you choose, and the hammer makes a very light trigger if you practice using it. Small enough not to hang up in pocket carry .
Best gun ever made? No. Good reliable gun for $400 +/_ You bet.
Point and shoot.

I personally would go smith over an LCR. They're trash guns from a company that makes great otherwise revolvers. Love my GP100.
If I had to fix a 357 itch and had enough dough, i'd go 360PD

I can see an argument for a G43x or P365 in a belt holster over a Glock 19 -- it's thinner and lighter, easier to conceal, but a bit harder for me to shoot well than my Glock 19. For winter carry, I carry my Glock 19. For under a Hawaiian shirt? I may take the 43x.
weirdly enough I shoot my 365XL better than my 19.

My 2¢.
I have a 640-2 that i carry when i am not carrying my 1911. My son carries an SP101 that he prefers over the S&W, mainly for the exposed hammer and ability to thumb it into SA mode. Both shoot well at 50 yards and we can hit milk jugs out to 100 with relative consistency.

I either pocket carry or i have a Triple K (not KKK) OWB crossdraw. And i always have 2 speed strips loaded with Remington Golden Sabre, 357. This round has been designed for snub nosed revolvers and performs quite well.

While 357 is not "fun" to shoot from a j frame, i would not call it unpleasant. But then, i do work with my hands all day and have plenty of callouses.

Regarding pocket carry, for me it is not heavy. But i do wear Carhartt style work jeans, having abandoned that brand years ago when the cut became trendy and the quality went to shit. Round House is my go-to brand now. Having a J frame in work jeans is not a problem by weight or by printing. Additionally I carry about 25lbs of carpentry gear on my belt all day so a little revolver is unnoticeable to me.

As for round count, i consider my pistol a means to fight my way back to a proper weapon, the Ithaca 37 in my truck. if i do myself in a situation where 15 rounds of 357 is insufficient to get back to my vehicle, then i have misjudged my surroundings and only have myself to blame.

I had a Model 13 snubbie, and with .357 ammo it was still a handfull, again I ended up with Pachmayer grips on it.

But damn that was a great gun.

I had a 642, I could not get used to it not having a hammer, so it got sold
They are nice guns the only issue with them I find is holster availability. You can find 4 inch k frame holsters all day. 2 inch holsters that fit properly are had to find outside of the turkey holster makers.

I got a S&W 340PD for the same reason. Hated shooting .357mag out of it. Used .38spc +P instead. Then I got the sig P365 and Glock 43 instead. Now it collects dust.

In the winter I carry my Airweight J Frame in my coat pocket as a BUG, cause sometimes it's faster to get into action with layers of winter clothes. For a while I had a surgery and couldn't wear a belt or have any weight around my waist and the Airweight was easy light enough to pocket carry in a vest.

Airweight.jpg

Plus, if you add the larger grips, although it's easier and more comfortable, if you need to reload that grip gets in the way - even with the "cut out".
The fat rubber overmolded ones are a no-go for the quick drop loaders but Altamont wood grips don't interfere at all.

signal-2024-02-07-145104_002.jpeg signal-2024-02-07-145106_002.jpeg

What did Ruger say? I assume they were sent back in.
It was out of my hands at that point but I wouldn't be surprised if both customers got new guns. I knew of a guy who admitted to blowing up his P90 and Ruger told him to pick a current SR9 squ and they'd send him that since they didn't have the ability to repair his gun.

Their customer service is akin to buying a Hyundai...you buy a warranty and oh by the way here's a car to go with it.

Last edited:
In the winter I carry my Airweight J Frame in my coat pocket as a BUG, cause sometimes it's faster to get into action with layers of winter clothes. For a while I had a surgery and couldn't wear a belt or have any weight around my waist and the Airweight was easy light enough to pocket carry in a vest.

View attachment 847673
Exactly, perfect winter carry to 'get into the action' quickly. Sometimes I have one of these in my pocket if things go south and when the 5 rounds are done, then reach into the man purse and fetch out the tactical HK piece with the red dot, light, and 4 spare mags haha.

Those things scare the daylights out of me. Twice I've seen someone try to decock one and the hammer slipped past their thumb.

That's what I carry (the 638) - but I've NEVER used the hammer, in all the years that I've owned it. I tried it in the store, and that was it. I like knowing it's there.

I just picked up a 2" Colt Python today. Does it qualify as a snubby or does the frame size negate it as a snubby.
Congrats !!
It qualifies but I bet the weight takes a little of the bite away.

I know someone that carries a short barrel 44 and loads it with 44 special defensive ammo. Pretty mild, but still makes a pretty big hole.

1707361237683.jpeg

Love it or hate it the LCRX .38 snubbie is a easy to fire, hide and manage tool. Not a range gun, but a belly gun. Able to shoot from a coat pocket, +P rated should you choose, and the hammer makes a very light trigger if you practice using it. Small enough not to hang up in pocket carry .
Best gun ever made? No. Good reliable gun for $400 +/_ You bet.
Point and shoot.
Yes, for maybe $400. I never see them for less than $500. Private sale or dealer. Local shop has a .327 version (I wouldn't mind - tons of .32 S&W ammo) but not for $500.
I personally would go smith over an LCR. They're trash guns from a company that makes great otherwise revolvers. Love my GP100.
If I had to fix a 357 itch and had enough dough, i'd go 360PD

weirdly enough I shoot my 365XL better than my 19.
Depends on your hand size, I suppose. I loved the P365 Macro Comp. I find the non-comp version twists in my hand too much each shot vs. G19. Snubbies just fly all over.
TK Customers will cut your S&W Cylinder to accept Moon Clips and allow both 9mm and .38 Special to be used.
Only downside being they then say you're limited to non +P ammo.

Congrats !!
It qualifies but I bet the weight takes a little of the bite away.

I know someone that carries a short barrel 44 and loads it with 44 special defensive ammo. Pretty mild, but still makes a pretty big hole.

View attachment 847981
I have the Smith L frame 44. I thinks its a 969. I bought it to use hot 44 special hand loads with. Its a good coyote woods walker. No matter where you hit them, they'll fall down.

Back
Top Bottom